Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 09-10-2022

(09-10-2022, 08:03 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(09-10-2022, 05:45 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(09-10-2022, 05:22 PM)Rory N Wrote:  I am not saying that but one week one of the presenters will appear and the next week they won’t and the week after that they are back it just feels all over the place.

That’s kind of how holidays work.
I don’t watch GB News for great lengths of time, but I do tune in here and there to see how things are getting on and it’s something that’s easy enough to have on in the background. And generally people seem to be in their slots most of the time. Certainly no more variation then I’d expect from any other broadcaster. I know he’s been off recently but Farage seems to take a lot less time off than you might expect him to given his profile.
From what I can remember I think the break Farage is on now is the only extended leave (minus Christmas maybe) he's taken since he launched his weekday show in July 2021. Much less time off than you may expect for someone of his profile.

RE: GB News - PERMOTIO - 10-10-2022

Unexpected new appointment!

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1579377529827491840 

RE: GB News - Omnipresent - 10-10-2022

Why on earth was this worthy of the prime 8.10 interview slot on the Today programme!?

RE: GB News - XIII - 10-10-2022

I think John Cleese is a great comedy performer but I get the feeling he thinks free speech means says whatever you like without consequences.

RE: GB News - Alan de Robson - 11-10-2022

(10-10-2022, 12:58 PM)XIII Wrote:  I think John Cleese is a great comedy performer but I get the feeling he thinks free speech means says whatever you like without consequences.

I loved John Cleese and the Monty Python crew going back a long time. I even used to buy the VHS tapes of the programs in the old BBC Shop in Eldon Square, Newcastle, when I was a teenager.

Like you, I think vile hate speech should not be given a platform. But there is a problem on who decides what's vile and what's hate speech? Many positions people held maybe 10 years ago are now considered by some as vile and hateful.

The best guidelines to work to are OFCOM's. They level the playing field to a degree. There is more than a touch of "old man shouting at sky for being blue" about John but the guy is a legend and I hope he displays his genius to get us laughing and thinking on his show.

RE: GB News - radiorebel - 13-10-2022

GB News has fallen off air. Currently on black screen.

https://twitter.com/gbnews/status/1580565804609069058?s=46&t=MomWQMlWAO-KwosVUEGj9w 

Update: Back on air with frame rate issues.

RE: GB News - Jon - 13-10-2022

John Cleese is meant to be on Headliners, but hasn’t turned up.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 14-10-2022

(13-10-2022, 11:05 PM)Jon Wrote:  John Cleese is meant to be on Headliners, but hasn’t turned up.

I suspect this John Cleese project will fall through. He just doesn't quite seem a fit for GB News - despite his strong opposition to 'wokeness', he is generally pretty liberal, which doesn't really chime with the rest of the talking heads on there.

RE: GB News - MFTJA - 16-10-2022

(14-10-2022, 08:17 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I suspect this John Cleese project will fall through. He just doesn't quite seem a fit for GB News - despite his strong opposition to 'wokeness', he is generally pretty liberal, which doesn't really chime with the rest of the talking heads on there.
I'd say he'd fit in better on TalkTV. Most of the presenters over there seem to be 'anti-woke' - i.e someone on Twitter says something 'woke' and they manage to make a whole programme about it, but when it comes to actual issues they seem pretty normal.  That's a lot less extreme than some of the GBN presenters who's heads seem to be full of every conspiracy theory under he sun with no room for common sense.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 16-10-2022

(16-10-2022, 12:25 AM)MFTJA Wrote:  That's a lot less extreme than some of the GBN presenters who's heads seem to be full of every conspiracy theory under he sun with no room for common sense.

I still don't understand why everyone here and in the industry raves about GB News like it's some sort of holy writ. The truth is that it's largely, as you say, a conspiracy theory channel with a bit of token news coverage thrown in. We can bang on about it being a 'free speech channel' until the cows come home, but there's free speech and then there's conspiracy nonsense being peddled on what is ostensibly a news channel.

These people are more than free to spout their nonsense online or in the press, as they should be - but I don't think their inflammatory rhetoric should be allowed on mainstream TV. You know, people will listen to these idiots tell them not to get the booster jab, and potentially they could become seriously ill as a result. I hate it. I hate everything that channel stands for.

And it's such a shame, because it had so much potential. It could really have been a brilliant little channel, full of lively debate from all sides of politics. Someone a few pages ago suggested giving James O'Brien a show - I think that's a fantastic idea. Or someone like Owen Jones or Ash Sarkar - give one of them an hour a night to give their left-wing perspective on the news. They could even still have the right-wingers on as guests. So much potential is there for it to be a truly pluralist station, full of lively debate that EVERYONE could enjoy and learn from - but instead they chose the easy way forward. Shame on you, Angelos. Shame on you.