Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 16-06-2023

(16-06-2023, 09:27 PM)London Lite Wrote:  There's no question that GB "News" is a legitimate broadcaster, but it's far from a news channel.
That’s different and people will have their own views on that. A lot of the content is news focused but isn’t actually “news”. Though they did say from the start they were not aiming to be a rolling news channel.

My beef with them is that I wish they wouldn’t have sitting MPs as presenters. Quite apart from other concerns, I’d rather just have an actual presenter, not an MP pretending to be one. And I have no interest in watching Lee Anderson spout off. But, I guess I don’t expect to like 100% of the output of any channel.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 16-06-2023

(16-06-2023, 10:06 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  That’s different and people will have their own views on that. A lot of the content is news focused but isn’t actually “news”. Though they did say from the start they were not aiming to be a rolling news channel.

My beef with them is that I wish they wouldn’t have sitting MPs as presenters. Quite apart from other concerns, I’d rather just have an actual presenter, not an MP pretending to be one. And I have no interest in watching Lee Anderson spout off. But, I guess I don’t expect to like 100% of the output of any channel.

Agreed, but I don't also like watching conspiracy theorists or ideologically driven presenters all day either, but then again it's not targeted at me.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 17-06-2023

(16-06-2023, 10:09 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Agreed, but I don't also like watching conspiracy theorists or ideologically driven presenters all day either, but then again it's not targeted at me.
Luckily it’s not like that all day, just certain presenters. Lee Anderson will be another one. I just avoid those. Laurence Fox, Neil Oliver….people I enjoyed watching in their previous careers but seem to have gone very…strange. I wish they didn’t have shows on there, not because I disagree with them (I enjoy watching different points of view) but because they just spout nonsense. It’s actually boring and difficult to watch.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 17-06-2023

By watching in the day though you're legitimising what they're doing at night. It's like buying the Daily Mail and claiming you only read the actual news articles.

(17-06-2023, 08:02 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  By watching in the day though you're legitimising what they're doing at night.  It's like buying the Daily Mail and claiming you only read the actual news articles.
On that basis I’d never watch any tv channel, ever.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 08:02 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  By watching in the day though you're legitimising what they're doing at night. It's like buying the Daily Mail and claiming you only read the actual news articles.

It's like saying Fox News have newsier programmes in certain day parts, but we all know who they're targeting throughout.

I've seen the more newsier programmes on GBN and Talk TV give a platform to people who wouldn't get a booking on supposed MSM bulletins or shows which continues the narrative their audience enjoy to get wound up about on a daily basis.

(17-06-2023, 01:20 PM)London Lite Wrote:  It's like saying Fox News have newsier programmes in certain day parts, but we all know who they're targeting throughout.

I've seen the more newsier programmes on GBN and Talk TV give a platform to people who wouldn't get a booking on supposed MSM bulletins or shows which continues the narrative their audience enjoy to get wound up about on a daily basis.
A channel knowing its audience and catering to it? Novel!

A lot of the appeal of GB News, to many, is that it is NOT the MSM. If it pretended it was it would lose that appeal.

RE: GB News - Alf Stewart - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 01:43 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  A channel knowing its audience and catering to it? Novel!

A lot of the appeal of GB News, to many, is that it is NOT the MSM. If it pretended it was it would lose that appeal.

The very fact they exist and are available to everyone makes them mainstream, despite what they may say. Heck, even the boss says they're mainstream.

''..we're an Ofcom-regulated, mainstream channel...''

Angelos Frangopoulos: “It’s time to end the boycott” (campaignlive.co.uk)

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 17-06-2023

GB "News" is more available than Talk TV, who aren't even available on Freeview. TalkTV also has a terrible website compared to GB "News", whose website at least contains new articles and some sort of news, whereas TalkTV has nothing.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 17-06-2023

Clearly they have aspirations to be a mainstream channel, but the perception and target demo give the perception of a challenger brand that sticks two fingers to the MSM and while some members on here can brag about new peaks in share for GBN beating a time slot for Sky News or BBC News, it's still a niche topical discussion channel.