Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - gav - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 04:02 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  GB "News" is more available than Talk TV, who aren't even available on Freeview. 

Talk TV is on Freeview, channel 237.
https://talk.tv/how-to-watch/238/freeview 

RE: GB News - LDN - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 03:50 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  The very fact they exist and are available to everyone makes them mainstream, despite what they may say. Heck, even the boss says they're mainstream.

''..we're an Ofcom-regulated, mainstream channel...''

Angelos Frangopoulos: “It’s time to end the boycott” (campaignlive.co.uk)

Evidently, GB News is a mainstream channel when it suits them to be seen as such. 

But when they choose, they're suddenly absolutely not a mainstream channel; they're the plucky outsiders and anti-MSM heroes championing the voices of the "silent majority" and the "cancelled" -- important, essential voices that must be repeatedly invited on to the channel, and whose wise and insightful opinions must be promoted without question, such as Jim Davidson and Ann Widdecombe. 

It's a bit like the way GB News is definitely not a news channel when it comes to any issue of regulation or broadcasting propriety, but it literally promotes itself as "Britain's news channel" and it constantly compares its own ratings to those of news channels that definitely aren't their rivals because GB News obviously definitely isn't a news channel. *WINK WINK*

Is GB News mainstream? Is it a news channel? Clearly, it depends on who's asking -- and as we've seen, when GB News responds, the answer will be whatever works in their favour.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 19-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 04:41 PM)LDN Wrote:  Evidently, GB News is a mainstream channel when it suits them to be seen as such. 

But when they choose, they're suddenly absolutely not a mainstream channel; they're the plucky outsiders and anti-MSM heroes championing the voices of the "silent majority" and the "cancelled" -- important, essential voices that must be repeatedly invited on to the channel, and whose wise and insightful opinions must be promoted without question, such as Jim Davidson and Ann Widdecombe. 

It's a bit like the way GB News is definitely not a news channel when it comes to any issue of regulation or broadcasting propriety, but it literally promotes itself as "Britain's news channel" and it constantly compares its own ratings to those of news channels that definitely aren't their rivals because GB News obviously definitely isn't a news channel. *WINK WINK*

Is GB News mainstream? Is it a news channel? Clearly, it depends on who's asking -- and as we've seen, when GB News responds, the answer will be whatever works in their favour.

100%. They want to have their cake and eat it. Never mind that everyone at GB News previously worked for, or appeared on, the mainstream media they dislike so much.

RE: GB News - freeview87 - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 02:37 PM)Kojak Wrote:  100%. They want to have their cake and eat it. Never mind that everyone at GB News previously worked for, or appeared on, the mainstream media they dislike so much.

If GBN ever closed down i wonder many would quickly go back to the 'msm'

RE: GB News - Joe - 19-06-2023

To be fair, isn’t that a great way to form an opinion on it?

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 02:37 PM)Kojak Wrote:  100%. They want to have their cake and eat it. Never mind that everyone at GB News previously worked for, or appeared on, the mainstream media they dislike so much.

Actually it's more like having their cake, eating it, and wanting more cake

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 04:22 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Actually it's more like having their cake, eating it, and wanting more cake

... and then publicly condemning cake.

Fair play though they survived two years and have had a fairly stable schedule for the last year. It's awful, but it's largely done what it set out to do.

RE: GB News - Jon - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 04:47 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  ... and then publicly condemning cake.
I imagine they very much supported the cake ambushing.

GB News can market themselves as they want. But I think there might not be a more mainstream TV news outlet. It’s full of mainstream populist opinion the former showbiz reporter from The Sun, the likes of Peter Andre popping in to host breakfast and probably one of the most mainstream presenter on British TV Eamonn Holmes. It’s editorially (apart from perhaps the Covid conspiracy stuff that seems to have died now) no different from Britain’s two most popular newspapers. So I think what they mean by mainstream media is any outlet that’s either political neutral or left leaning or basically isn’t them. It’s just marketing spin ultimately.

I remember hearing Wootton describe ‘The Times’ as an establishment paper, which I thought was funny because it’s owned by his former boss at a publication he probably wouldn’t slag off The Sun.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 19-06-2023

Well GB News and Covid seems to be gone now for the most part, as thankfully we have left the world of the pandemic behind us, so hopefully all that nonsense will not return, except for the party-gate scandal we seem to be hurtling into which GB News seems to have a problem with, how to cover it. Dan Wootton has had the usual nothing to see here attitude, let's move on. However with the recent leak of the party video I feel will put GB News into a hard position.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 19-06-2023

Wasn't Bev Turner hired because she became a Covid crank? I'm not sure what her USP is now that Covid is now just another illness that people catch from time to time?