Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - London Lite - 27-06-2023

(27-06-2023, 11:16 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  I don't know anything about the TRIC awards other than the fact that I recall GMB having a reference to being a TRIC award winner in their graphics previously, but I would have thought that an award voted for by the public was more valuable than one decided by some form of panel of industry insiders.

Getting an industry award shows potential clients that you're actually very good at what you do. Which is why a BAFTA will always be universally accepted than a TRIC.

When GBN and Talk TV actually win industry awards, then they've really turned a page.

RE: GB News - Gary Baldy - 28-06-2023

I’m wondering if anyone moaning about Farage winning the award has actually watched his show? I can’t stand the man politically but I’ve caught his show a couple of times and surprisingly really enjoyed it. I feel like a lot of the backlash amongst the winners of the TRIC awards is that people don’t like the individuals or the stations, even though half the people complaining about the winners haven’t watched the shows the winners are on.

RE: GB News - Globaltraffic24 - 28-06-2023

(27-06-2023, 11:08 PM)derek500 Wrote:  The public vote on a list, which is then shortlisted to five.  Who decides what's in the list the public vote on?

I’m not aware of any left or right leaning bias at the TRIC awards. It’s a long established industry body. However, making the list (decided by TRIC itself rather than the public) is a bit, erm, let’s just say questionable. 

GBNews were sponsors of the awards this year, alongside TalkTV and Sky (and various non broadcast sponsors). Or I should say they were ‘partners’.

According to TRIC, a partnership bags you good seats at events and ‘networking opportunities.’ Definitely doesn’t guarantee that you dominate some of the shortlists and guarantees you at least one gong on the night. Ahem. 

Sadly it’s fairly common across all sectors. In radio, the Sony awards used to be dubbed the ‘pay to play’ awards. Effectively you bought a prize - or at least the right to even be considered for a prize. Not all awards are the same, but many back slapping industry things are. It’s simply a money spinner for the organisers in exchange for the ‘recipients’ feeling good about themselves. 

In fact, it’s the kind of thing GBNews would have spent hours deriding if they didn’t win. “Look at all those woke media elites sipping champers and telling each other how good they are. tHeY ArE So OuT Of ToUcH.” Etc etc. 

Don’t worry, they’ll go back to culture wars and celebrating their 0.75 percent audience share tomorrow.

RE: GB News - chinamug - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 12:32 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  I’m wondering if anyone moaning about Farage winning the award has actually watched his show? I can’t stand the man politically but I’ve caught his show a couple of times and surprisingly really enjoyed it. I feel like a lot of the backlash amongst the winners of the TRIC awards is that people don’t like the individuals or the stations, even though half the people complaining about the winners haven’t watched the shows the winners are on.

I also have little time for most of the man's politics, however you can't take away from him that he's an excellent broadcaster and in another universe he'd have been a very good journalist. GB News are very lucky indeed to have him as his personal following probably brings in more than half the viewers. He's the one person they need to keep onboard. But there's the problem with this award. He has a fan base of hundreds of thousands which a fair few would vote him on any occasion for any award. Most Public votes in this day and age are dodgy at best as they can all be manipulated. 

An award like this is basically pointless in the social media age. 30 years ago it might have been different. And this probably goes for all public votes. Look at the ridiculous results for the BBC World Service World favourite song which was won by A Nation Once Again, an Irish Rebel Tune.

(28-06-2023, 12:54 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  I’m not aware of any left or right leaning bias at the TRIC awards. It’s a long established industry body. However, making the list (decided by TRIC itself rather than the public) is a bit, erm, let’s just say questionable. 

GBNews were sponsors of the awards this year, alongside TalkTV and Sky (and various non broadcast sponsors). Or I should say they were ‘partners’.

According to TRIC, a partnership bags you good seats at events and ‘networking opportunities.’ Definitely doesn’t guarantee that you dominate some of the shortlists and guarantees you at least one gong on the night. Ahem. 

Sadly it’s fairly common across all sectors. In radio, the Sony awards used to be dubbed the ‘pay to play’ awards. Effectively you bought a prize - or at least the right to even be considered for a prize. Not all awards are the same, but many back slapping industry things are. It’s simply a money spinner for the organisers in exchange for the ‘recipients’ feeling good about themselves. 

In fact, it’s the kind of thing GBNews would have spent hours deriding if they didn’t win. “Look at all those woke media elites sipping champers and telling each other how good they are. tHeY ArE So OuT Of ToUcH.” Etc etc. 

Don’t worry, they’ll go back to culture wars and celebrating their 0.75 percent audience share tomorrow
Your remarks about Radio awards are very true indeed. There are a load of awards around the world that if you pay you'll get an award. In many cases they're money making rackets for the organisers. Certain international festivals seem to give An Award for everyone that buys a table.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 28-06-2023

Excluding the main four channels only a handful have a viewing share over 1% and only ITV3 tops 2%.

RE: GB News - LDN - 03-07-2023

Ofcom has announced that it's opened a new "broadcast investigation" into an episode of Jacob Rees-Mogg's State of the Nation (along with a similar probe into a TalkTV show).

https://twitter.com/Ofcom/status/1675792479004622853 

For anyone who can't see the tweet, here's a screenshot: 
[Image: ofcom-gb-news-talktv.png]

...and here's a link to the Ofcom announcement, as featured in the tweet: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2023/new-investigations-into-gb-news-and-talk-tv 

(Also posted in the TalkTV thread.)

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 03-07-2023

(03-07-2023, 10:57 AM)LDN Wrote:  Ofcom has announced that it's opened a new "broadcast investigation" into an episode of Jacob Rees-Mogg's State of the Nation (along with a similar probe into a TalkTV show).

https://twitter.com/Ofcom/status/1675792479004622853 

For anyone who can't see the tweet, here's a screenshot: 
[Image: ofcom-gb-news-talktv.png]

...and here's a link to the Ofcom announcement, as featured in the tweet: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2023/new-investigations-into-gb-news-and-talk-tv 

(Also posted in the TalkTV thread.)
Looks to me a clear breach of the rules for the Jacob Rees-Mogg show. If he presented the breaking coverage of the Trump story then that's not within the guidance due to him being a politician. No excuses really either, as they would have had the bulletin newsreader on hand who should've taken the story.

Never really understood why they hired JRM for a nightly show.

RE: GB News - Jon - 03-07-2023

I imagine the “unless exceptionally, it is editorially justified” will be how they try to get around it. I think that’s the problem or benefit (if your the channel) with a lot of these rules, they’re very much open to interpretation.

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 03-07-2023

(03-07-2023, 12:12 PM)Jon Wrote:  I imagine the “unless exceptionally, it is editorially justified” will be how they try to get around it. I think that’s the problem or benefit  (if your the channel) with a lot of these rules, they’re very much open to interpretation.
Agreed. I think the main stumbling block in that excuse is that there was a bulletin reader in the studio who could have taken over. However, as you say, the rules are very much open to interpretation so who knows what will happen.

Krede - Krede - 04-07-2023

https://order-order.com/2023/07/04/gb-news-poach-talktvs-creative-director-piers-morgan-furious/