Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Alan de Robson - 16-10-2022

Exactly what "conspiracy nonsense" has been peddled on GB News, Kojak?

Diana, 9/11, JFK, Great Reset, COVID? I don't watch it enough so I keep missing these moments. They did talk a lot about COVID when the station launched IIRC but we were in the middle of recurring lockdowns so they were very current.

Or was your post just a lazy way of saying you've made up your mind already about the channel so you throw round words like "conspiracy" to denigrate its viewers and content? If so, that's a pity and reflects poorly on you.

MFTJA, you wrote, "That's a lot less extreme than some of the GBN presenters who's [sic] heads seem to be full of every conspiracy theory under he [sic] sun with no room for common sense." I ask you for evidence again. You don't have any. Dan Wooton shoots his mouth off disagreeing with COVID-19 lockdowns but he's entitled to question it.

For the record, it was me who suggested James O'Brien. Didn't he have some sort of worry about the length of the Queen's queue that didn't make sense? The difference is I don't dismiss his entire body of work because it didn't make sense to me or anyone else in particular.

I do 100% agree with you on this statement though - "so much potential is there for it to be a truly pluralist station, full of lively debate that EVERYONE could enjoy and learn from". But "shame on you" - how pompous.

Gina Miller was on Mark Dolan the other night and she was great.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 16-10-2022

Alan, thanks for engaging with me - I really appreciate it. To answer your first question, yes, the Great Reset is quite regularly mentioned on there, particularly by Neil Oliver and Calvin Robinson. And Mark Steyn talks about nothing but ‘vaccine damage’. Yes, some people have died as a result of taking the vaccine, and that is beyond tragic. But to suggest that if you take a COVID vaccine that you WILL die or become incapacitated, as Steyn repeatedly has, is irresponsible at best, and downright dangerous at worst. If none of this classifies as peddling conspiracy theories, then I don’t know what does.

RE: GB News - all new phil - 16-10-2022

I think it’s a channel of two halves (with a couple of exceptions) personally. Part of it caters for - how do I put this nicely - gullible boomers who share any old conspiracy theory on Facebook. Here we’re talking Steyn, Farage, Calvin Robinson, Neil Oliver… 

The rest I think plays it pretty straight, or at least where the host has a viewpoint there tends to be some balance via the guests. Not really seen much of daytime since they tweaked the lineup but it seems to have some of the less controversial hosts. 

The exceptions, I’d probably say Free Speech Nation is an outlier in that it seems to attract a younger and different audience.

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 16-10-2022

(16-10-2022, 08:13 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I think it’s a channel of two halves (with a couple of exceptions) personally. Part of it caters for - how do I put this nicely - gullible boomers who share any old conspiracy theory on Facebook. Here we’re talking Steyn, Farage, Calvin Robinson, Neil Oliver… 

The rest I think plays it pretty straight, or at least where the host has a viewpoint there tends to be some balance via the guests. Not really seen much of daytime since they tweaked the lineup but it seems to have some of the less controversial hosts. 

The exceptions, I’d probably say Free Speech Nation is an outlier in that it seems to attract a younger and different audience.
I think it’s harsh to include Farage in the same section as Steyn and Neil Oliver. He tends to stay away from that stuff and if he does bring it up, he always has evidence to back his argument up and someone on the show to oppose said argument.

I find his show to be one of the most balanced on the channel to be honest. You always get both sides, whether you agree with Farage or not.

RE: GB News - all new phil - 16-10-2022

(16-10-2022, 08:47 PM)TVViewer256 Wrote:  
(16-10-2022, 08:13 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I think it’s a channel of two halves (with a couple of exceptions) personally. Part of it caters for - how do I put this nicely - gullible boomers who share any old conspiracy theory on Facebook. Here we’re talking Steyn, Farage, Calvin Robinson, Neil Oliver… 

I think it’s harsh to include Farage in the same section as Steyn and Neil Oliver. He tends to stay away from that stuff and if he does bring it up, he always has evidence to back his argument up and someone on the show to oppose said argument.

I find his show to be one of the most balanced on the channel to be honest. You always get both sides, whether you agree with Farage or not.

Fair enough. I don’t watch so I’m basing it off the impression I get.

RE: GB News - gottago - 16-10-2022

Ofcom have opened another investigation into Covid vaccine misinformation on Mark Steyn’s show.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2022/investigation-gb-news-mark-steyn 

RE: GB News - Keith - 17-10-2022

I suspect GB News may benefit from whenever there's eventually a change in government and Labour are in power (as per the equivalent in the USA with Fox News). That would then give them the option to have an agenda of criticising the new (non-Conservative) government and their policies/decisions, whilst claiming that a right-wing government would do things better. Given what's currently going on in politics that's not something GB News can do as easily.

RE: GB News - Robbie1123 - 17-10-2022

(16-10-2022, 07:24 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Alan, thanks for engaging with me - I really appreciate it. To answer your first question, yes, the Great Reset is quite regularly mentioned on there, particularly by Neil Oliver and Calvin Robinson. And Mark Steyn talks about nothing but ‘vaccine damage’. Yes, some people have died as a result of taking the vaccine, and that is beyond tragic. But to suggest that if you take a COVID vaccine that you WILL die or become incapacitated, as Steyn repeatedly has, is irresponsible at best, and downright dangerous at worst. If none of this classifies as peddling conspiracy theories, then I don’t know what does.
You say

“The great reset is quite regularly mentioned on there”

I understand they’re discussing this concept from the WEF, look, here is a video from the WEF on their YouTube page titled... erm, “The Great Reset” 

Link https://youtu.be/8rAiTDQ-NVY 

You say.

“Mark Steyn talks about nothing but “vaccine damage” 

And then follow up with 

“Yes some people have died as a result of taking the vaccine”

Lol, conspiracy theories, really? One is an advertised concept easily evidenced. And the other you state as true in the next sentence. 

How serious the topics are is up for debate, but I think a tv channel with a small number of viewers is nothing to get worked up about.

RE: GB News - Worzel - 18-10-2022

GB News seem to have tweaked their lower thirds. The headline text on the astons seems to have been reduced so its actually got some white space around it.

They still don't seem to have the ability to update the second line of text without having to pull the graphics down.

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 18-10-2022

(18-10-2022, 09:06 PM)Worzel Wrote:  GB News seem to have tweaked their lower thirds. The headline text on the astons seems to have been reduced so its actually got some white space around it.

They still don't seem to have the ability to update the second line of text without having to pull the graphics down.
I think it's more that it looks better to wipe the graphics off and then back on again with the changed text. Looking at the second text strap there's no other animation that would look as good.