Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - London Lite - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 01:07 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  It's fascinating the amount of people on here slating GB News for it's content and political outlook. Whilst I can be the first to criticise GB News, I see the bigger picture in that people of the centre-right view are ignored or pretty much shouted down by the established media before GB News was set up.

Have any of you thought or looked at yourselves and asked whether it is you that treat people of the alternative opinion as irrelevant or shouted down? Also ask yourselves as well if you think your views are superior to that of those who disagree with you. Then you might understand why more and more people watch GB News rather than the established media.

The centre right and right-wing already have outlets for their musings. If someone wants to write about gender critical issues for example, you can find them in the Mail and Telegraph. There's a radio station that between 5am-midnight that covers culture wars which happens for now to have a tv simulcast. LBC to an extent also covers culture wars in a broader manner. Twitter under Elon Musk is also another platform where they can post those kind of opinions without the fear of being "cancelled."

The fact is that GBN and Talk TV are niche products, they don't have the pull for advertisers that make them marketable. The only way GBN will continue is if their rich idealogical backers continue to see a turn in attitudes from the general public towards a more right-wing way of how society should be which simply isn't happening.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 01:10 PM)Adsales Wrote:  That's the problem with GBN and has been from the start because what they want(ed) to do makes no business sense. 

The UK population is, in the large majority very much in the centre of the political spectrum. There is a higher percentage to be found left of centre than right of centre and far more at the very left end compared to the far right end. The UK is not like the US and not like Australia.

Because of a number of circumstances, we ended up with a government that sits far further to the right than the large majority of the population. People were always going to grow tired of that mismatch eventually. Since last summer numerous things have happened to expedite that process.

GBN wants to appeal to those who sit further to the right than the current government and that cohort of people is not exactly massive. It also has entrenched views which make it difficult to pivot further to the centre, let alone go anywhere left of centre. If you try, you lose your core audience. If you don't you can't grow your audience. 

A similar problem exists when it comes to presenters. The pool of presenters which are deemed acceptable by the core audience is small, very small. That of course explains the number of Tory MPs who come from the extreme right of the party gracing our screens if we choose to tune in to GBN, along with those other presenters, present and past, which wouldn't get airtime elsewhere.

It's very easy to define alternative views as 'extreme right'. Yet I don't see anyone explaining why they are 'extreme right'.

RE: GB News - Adsales - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 01:07 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  It's fascinating the amount of people on here slating GB News for it's content and political outlook. Whilst I can be the first to criticise GB News, I see the bigger picture in that people of the centre-right view are ignored or pretty much shouted down by the established media before GB News was set up.

Have any of you thought or looked at yourselves and asked whether it is you that treat people of the alternative opinion as irrelevant or shouted down? Also ask yourselves as well if you think your views are superior to that of those who disagree with you. Then you might understand why more and more people watch GB News rather than the established media.

This is the issue with having discussions with people who sit in the GBN core audience. There is no room for facts. Someone claims something and that makes it true. That view is then fully entrenched and can't be changed.

Like what I've bolded in the quoted post; that claim is simply not true. The GBN audience has not actually grown. There are days or day parts where it occasionally beats Sky News or (the) BBC News (Channel) but that is not because suddenly more people are watching GBN or people have switched. It usually happens on slow news days, on days where nothing other than Westminster dramas is happening (and people are bored, oh so bored of it) or when something has happened that enrages those on the right while the large part of the population could not care less.

(14-07-2023, 01:19 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The centre right and right-wing already have outlets for their musings.    If someone wants to write about gender critical issues for example, you can find them in the Mail and Telegraph.    There's a radio station that between 5am-midnight that covers culture wars which happens for now to have a tv simulcast.  LBC to an extent also covers culture wars in a broader manner.  Twitter under Elon Musk is also another platform where they can post those kind of opinions without the fear of being "cancelled."

The fact is that GBN and Talk TV are niche products, they don't have the pull for advertisers that make them marketable.    The only way GBN will continue is if their rich idealogical backers continue to see a turn in attitudes from the general public towards a more right-wing way of how society should be which simply isn't happening.

Am I to take it that because of the aforementioned platforms in the first paragraph that we should be grateful for them and not have a TV channel platform for this country?

(14-07-2023, 01:28 PM)Adsales Wrote:  This is the issue with having discussions with people who sit in the GBN core audience. There is no room for facts. Someone claims something and that makes it true. That view is then fully entrenched and can't be changed.

Like what I've bolded in the quoted post; that claim is simply not true. The GBN audience has not actually grown. There are days or day parts where it occasionally beats Sky News or (the) BBC News (Channel) but that is not because suddenly more people are watching GBN or people have switched. It usually happens on slow news days, on days where nothing other than Westminster dramas is happening or when something has happened that enrages those on the right while the large part of the population could not care less.

Are you tarring me with the same brush with those you claim have no room for facts? I think you should look at my past posts to back up your claim.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 14-07-2023

The fad for these channels started with Trumpism which led to Newsmax and OANN launching in the US for those who see Fox News as an establishment outlet.

GBN's backers thought they could emulate the Newsmax/OANN style of broadcasting in the UK, but unlike the US where there's still a significant target audience who believe in the style of Trumpism conservative thinking, it's nowhere as big.

(14-07-2023, 01:26 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  It's very easy to define alternative views as 'extreme right'. Yet I don't see anyone explaining why they are 'extreme right'.

I don't need to define what views puts someone in a particular spot on the scale of political views. A lot of very clever people do that work, including comparisons between different countries. 

If 88% of the UK population feels that gay marriages are as "normal" as opposite sex marriages then the 12% who don't hold that view that sit very much at the extreme right of scale. If 79% believe that we should welcome genuine refugees and 21% don't then the same applied. Similarly, if 86% believe in universal health care which publicly funded and free at the point of use, then 14% hold views which go towards the far right of the scale.

Those numbers by the way are not made up.

(14-07-2023, 01:30 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  Am I to take it that because of the aforementioned platforms in the first paragraph that we should be grateful for them and not have a TV channel platform for this country?

Are you tarring me with the same brush with those you claim have no room for facts? I think you should look at my past posts to back up your claim.

I am highlighting that you have claimed something as fact which is pushed out by GBN and friends but is not reflected in reality. I don't have the time to look at your previous posts and I don't need to. If you usually look into claims being made by someone and make up your own mind based on your findings of fact, then great. If you don't then there is nothing I can (or want to) do about it. I make no judgment about anyone's views.

RE: GB News - Robbie1123 - 14-07-2023

It is really interesting reading the comments on here about left this or right that. I remember the firm definitive 'GBN won't last', 'Andrew Neil has left, it won't last more than 6 months', then 'It'll be lucky to see its first anniversary"

It's still there, will it last? Who really knows.

Yes it is sloppy looking. It does have more poor than great production, but what I see is something that is finding its feet, more serious TV people being hired behind the scenes and if logic follows then a more polished look and production should start to emerge.

How they cover big events may well lead to people switching to them, maybe just sometimes instead of the BBC or Sky, and slowly an audience could grow. A general election could really do them some good, viewer wise, if they play a good game.

Then GBN will sit in the mainstream, a mainstream that will have changed slightly from when it began because it will be part of that future mainstream.

Alternatively, it'll be gone in 6 months. Big Grin

(14-07-2023, 01:34 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The fad for these channels started with Trumpism which led to Newsmax and OANN launching in the US for those who see Fox News as an establishment outlet.

GBN's backers thought they could emulate the Newsmax/OANN style of broadcasting in the UK, but unlike the US where there's still a significant target audience who believe in the style of Trumpism conservative thinking, it's nowhere as big.

Not only that; there's a massive discrepancy between what is considered right, centre and left political views in the US and the UK. The average Democrat is further to the right than the average Tory. Many things which are considered "centre views" in the UK are pushing far towards the extreme left in the US.

(14-07-2023, 01:34 PM)Adsales Wrote:  I don't need to define what views puts someone in a particular spot on the scale of political views. A lot of very clever people do that work, including comparisons between different countries. 

If 88% of the UK population feels that gay marriages are as "normal" as opposite sex marriages then the 12% who don't hold that view that sit very much at the extreme right of scale. If 79% believe that we should welcome genuine refugees and 21% don't then the same applied. Similarly, if 86% believe in universal health care which publicly funded and free at the point of use, then 14% hold views which go towards the far right of the scale.

Those numbers by the way are not made up.

I am highlighting that you have claimed something as fact which is pushed out by GBN and friends but is not reflected in reality. I don't have the time to look at your previous posts and I don't need to. If you usually look into claims being made by someone and make up your own mind based on your findings of fact, then great. If you don't then there is nothing I can (or want to) do about it. I make no judgment about anyone's views.

The arrogance in your post is astounding in that your attitude is one of many reasons why GB News was started up in the first place.

P.S. I have not claimed anything when the amount of anti-GB News posts on here are proof of my 1st post from today.

RE: GB News - LondonViewer - 14-07-2023

Debating left or right is a distraction from the basic fact that, regardless of politics, no TV news channel can operate profitably in this country. There's a couple of very basic reasons for this & it's similar to why local tv doesn't work. Any chat about politics is pointless in this context.