Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Adsales - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 01:52 PM)Robbie1123 Wrote:  It is really interesting reading the comments on here about left this or right that. I remember the firm definitive 'GBN won't last', 'Andrew Neil has left, it won't last more than 6 months', then 'It'll be lucky to see its first anniversary"

It's still there, will it last? Who really knows.

Yes it is sloppy looking. It does have more poor than great production, but what I see is something that is finding its feet, more serious TV people being hired behind the scenes and if logic follows then a more polished look and production should start to emerge.

How they cover big events may well lead to people switching to them, maybe just sometimes instead of the BBC or Sky, and slowly an audience could grow. A general election could really do them some good, viewer wise, if they play a good game.

Then GBN will sit in the mainstream, a mainstream that will have changed slightly from when it began because it will be part of that future mainstream.

Alternatively, it'll be gone in 6 months. Big Grin

If GBN wants to become "mainstream" then it not only would have to abandon its target audience entirely (which isn't going to happen with its current financial backers), it would also have to convince all those who would never give the channel even a brief look that it has changed from what it was; and it would have to compete with those channels already catering for the majority of the population.

What would be the point in that? 

It's also unlikely to be gone in 6 months or probably even two years, simply because of its backers' ideologies. It'll likely be there for those who wish to hear "alternative views" for a while.

As for "mainstream" changing, it already has. A whole lot back to the centre. Whether the current Labour party wins the next election or the Tories do (which they only can if they shift back to the centre to compete with the newly firmly centred Labour), the population is already far more concentrated in traditional centre politics than it has been in any point since 2016.

(14-07-2023, 02:03 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  The arrogance in your post is astounding in that your attitude is one of many reasons why GB News was started up in the first place.

P.S. I have not claimed anything when the amount of anti-GB News posts on here are proof of my 1st post from today.

Case in point. If you wanted to have a discussion then you would have provided evidence of your claim ("[color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]more and more people watch GB News rather than the established media") or admitted that you were wrong. Instead you're calling me arrogant for pointing out that your claim is wrong, [/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Open Sans, segoe ui, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]directly taken from GBN marketing spin (or Guido) and for declining to have a discussion with you on that basis.[/font][/color]

RE: GB News - London Lite - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 02:06 PM)LondonViewer Wrote:  Debating left or right is a distraction from the basic fact that, regardless of politics, no TV news channel can operate profitably in this country. There's a couple of very basic reasons for this & it's similar to why local tv doesn't work. Any chat about politics is pointless in this context.

If you consider GBN and Talk TV as opinion based channels, you're left with the NC which now pays lip service to domestic news outside of BBC One/Two simulcasts due to cuts and Sky News which is now the only dedicated impartial rolling news channel with a domestic skew and even that is at risk if Comcast decide not to fund the channel once the latest block of funding ends.

RE: GB News - Robbie1123 - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 02:08 PM)Adsales Wrote:  If GBN wants to become "mainstream" then it not only would have to abandon its target audience entirely (which isn't going to happen with its current financial backers), it would also have to convince all those who would never give the channel even a brief look that it has changed from what it was; and it would have to compete with those channels already catering for the majority of the population.

What would be the point in that? 

I don't think it wants to be mainstream, I think they state the exact opposite. 

However I think a concept you're missing here is evolution. In efforts to gain more viewers adjustments will happen. New sets, better graphics and improved back room editorial.

If it abandoned what you see as the 'core' audience immediately then of course it will fail, I think these things happen slowly over a long time period, we could wake up one day and find GBN celebrating 10 years and think nothing of it. 

From a presentation point of view the channel is about to get a makeover by all accounts, which should be exciting for us lot given how it launched.

(14-07-2023, 02:24 PM)Robbie1123 Wrote:  I don't think it wants to be mainstream, I think they state the exact opposite. 

However I think a concept you're missing here is evolution. In efforts to gain more viewers adjustments will happen. New sets, better graphics and improved back room editorial.

If it abandoned what you see as the 'core' audience immediately then of course it will fail, I think these things happen slowly over a long time period, we could wake up one day and find GBN celebrating 10 years and think nothing of it. 

From a presentation point of view the channel is about to get a makeover by all accounts, which should be exciting for us lot given how it launched.

Presentation, new sets etc. is always exciting for people like us but it’s irrelevant for audience growth unless you find ways to grow your audience. GBN is boxed in. If its content is changed, even slowly, towards mainstream or majority views, then its very reason to exist vanishes and its current viewers will leave. Additionally it has a repetitional problem which means it is harder than it would be anyway to gain viewers that sit outside its current niche audience.

On top of that, there’s the general issue with the big decline in linear viewing.

I think the problem they have is that while there's a tiny audience for the wheel of culture wars topics, for the average viewer who dips in, it's a boring watch.

However the radio version does seem to work better for them even if the last Rajar saw a drop where this kind of content can be a more capitve listen, yet it's the tv channel that they want as it gives them the attention they crave.

RE: GB News - Robbie1123 - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 02:30 PM)Adsales Wrote:  Presentation, new sets etc. is always exciting for people like us but it’s irrelevant for audience growth unless you find ways to grow your audience. GBN is boxed in. If its content is changed, even slowly, towards mainstream or majority views, then its very reason to exist vanishes and its current viewers will leave. Additionally it has a repetitional problem which means it is harder than it would be anyway to gain viewers that sit outside its current niche audience.

On top of that, there’s the general issue with the big decline in linear viewing.

That's why we're here.

Dan is back on Monday.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1679838155963535360 

RE: GB News - matthieu1221 - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 02:31 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I think the problem they have is that while there's a tiny audience for the wheel of culture wars topics, for the average viewer who dips in, it's a boring watch.

However the radio version does seem to work better for them even if the last Rajar saw a drop where this kind of content can be a more capitve listen, yet it's the tv channel that they want as it gives them the attention they crave.

Over in France, CNEWS has hit its glass ceiling at around 2% audience share and that's in a country where the news channels get pretty much 8-10% in total.

Right-leaning viewers don't necessarily like to listen to shouty drivel all day, similar to how news channels aren't made to watch for long time spans. They have lives like everyone else -- which is a big issue for opinion channels like GBNews as their base audience is only so small -- at least an impartial news channel has a big potential viewer base to tap into when the news heats up a little.

RE: GB News - Stooky Bill - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 01:52 PM)Robbie1123 Wrote:  Then GBN will sit in the mainstream, a mainstream that will have changed slightly from when it began because it will be part of that future mainstream.
Basically you're saying that it's moving the Overton Window. 

.... and you're right, because that's exactly what the channel was set up to do

(14-07-2023, 04:45 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Basically you're saying that it's moving the Overton Window. 

.... and you're right, because that's exactly what the channel was set up to do

The Overton Window is moving in the opposite direction and has been for about 14 months. Therefore GBN’s original mission is failing. GBN launched too late in simple terms. Its founders believed that the UK would become as polarised as the US or as Australia used to be prior to the last election. The opposite has been happening. An ever growing majority is firmly moving to the left to once again sit in the centre.