Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 15-07-2023

(15-07-2023, 03:35 PM)Adsales Wrote:  Sigh indeed. The ongoing discussion is about ratings, share and reach. You implied (in fact stated) that facts are needed and cited a viewer survey. It does has nothing to do with what is being discussed regardless of how the survey was conducted or by whom. 

The current discussion started by a poster claiming the “gap is closing rapidly” and cherry-picking YoY figures, entirely ignoring BARB changes last summer and the more obvious fact that ratings have barely improved since last September.

As for your cited survey, we don’t have the data tables and the sample was minute. While I have no intention on making any judgment on the survey quality, it is surprising that CNN comes out on top. After all that’s a channel that barely registers viewing figures in the UK.

The context for my post is clear, Brekkie was quoted and their point responded to.

On "topic" the market position of GBN has changed.  It regularly wins 15m and 1h slots accross the day, as well as prime time.  Poor Sky and BBC performance as much as its own success. 

It's fair to say overall growth is stagnant , but we haven't reached Sep so don't have YoY.  Looking at the numbers very quickly,  and I would say that primetime  opinion  has lost some audience reach/share overall - which does support the analysis here and elsewhere that there is a ceiling for  hyper woke topics. 

Clear growth in topical daily shows like Breakfast and the new daytime lineup suggests the audience is there if they tone down the extreme. 

Remember, ITV Daytime and Sky News was doing discussion and panels in 2010s on topics which would now be considered culture war fodder, and had extreme  guests such as Katy Hopkins,  Milo and Owen Jones; GB News in daytime is pretty much 5s  Wright Stuff circa 2014. This appears to be where the audince is,  and if they are smart where GBN will throw everything at, not dumb stunt shows with Tory MPs.

Even the supposed ' Hard right' Patrick Christys is more a poundland Nick Ferrari on LBC until covid took him safe establishment  "centre" ground.

Will this be enough to grow a profitable media business? Probably not, as London Lite rightly said, UK TV ad CPT is terrible

RE: GB News - bilky asko - 15-07-2023

That survey is hardly glowing for GB News. Regular viewers, across BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Sky News, and GB News were polled as to their views of the channels.

GB News ranks joint lowest with Channel 5 for quality, last in accuracy, fourth in trustworthiness, and last in impartiality. It doesn't come top in any measure, not even on "offers a range of opinions".

(15-07-2023, 04:52 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  extreme  guests such as Katy Hopkins,  Milo and Owen Jones

When you say things like that, it's hard to take you seriously.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 15-07-2023

Now what was I saying about GB News fans getting fixated on one issue and repeating it over and over, ignoring any opinions or indeed facts which don't echo their own view.

RE: GB News - Stooky Bill - 16-07-2023

The worst type of 'talent' in TV: those who have absolutely no idea or just don't care about how TV works..... unless of course Andrew Pierce is just stupid or lying, which are both possibilities

https://twitter.com/toryboypierce/status/1680548963554844672?s=19 

Another GB News contributor made the same basic error yesterday, think they've deleted it since

RE: GB News - Former Member 237 - 16-07-2023

Ex staff going on a fantasy rant about their ex employer is hardly anything new.... I know they are freelance but still.

What was the basic error

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 16-07-2023

With some of the accusations now flying around you'd think it was GB News housed in a glass box, not Sky.

RE: GB News - steve - 16-07-2023

(16-07-2023, 05:48 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  Ex staff going on a fantasy rant about their ex employer is hardly anything new.... I know they are freelance but still.

What was the basic error

Well GB News shows pictures from events outside of the studio. And last time I checked, they were filmed by a camera operator...

RE: GB News - London Lite - 16-07-2023

(16-07-2023, 06:11 PM)steve Wrote:  Well GB News shows pictures from events outside of the studio. And last time I checked, they were filmed by a camera operator...

Don't they still have VJs as well?

(16-07-2023, 05:48 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  Ex staff going on a fantasy rant about their ex employer is hardly anything new.... I know they are freelance but still.

What was the basic error
Firstly he's not ex-staff.

If you'd bothered to read the original post and the replies to both you'll know that and will have seen that not only do GB News have camera operators, but they're advertising for some at the moment.

(16-07-2023, 06:11 PM)steve Wrote:  Well GB News shows pictures from events outside of the studio. And last time I checked, they were filmed by a camera operator...
Yes and even though the ones he sees in he studio are all PTZ with no-one behind them, that's not to say they don't have an operator