Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Globaltraffic24 - 26-07-2023

(26-07-2023, 08:17 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  He's an actual expert in his field, and in this case is correcting an inaccuracy. Not remotely inappropriate.
And sadly this is where we have arrived. We now have a UK TV station explicitly LYING to viewers and using the defence of ‘debate’.  Quite depressing really. We’ve sunk so low in broadcasting thanks to an utterly, utterly toothless Ofcom. 

To the posters suggesting experienced meteorologists should not be challenging outright lies - hang your heads in shame. Anyone with extensive experience in their profession would speak out in defence of facts if they were faced with inaccurate nonsense that risked seriously compromising their work. 

If I decided to build a house made of chocolate that melted in the heat, I’m fairly sure it would be completely acceptable for other house builders to criticise my workmanship. If I responded with ‘you’re not entitled to join this debate’ I would be laughed out of the room. 

A sorry, sorry state of affairs. 

Not to worry. Despite the rhetoric from GB news folk on social, the channel DOES NOT perform well. We all know this. 

“We’re amazingly popular because we got more viewers than eternally loss making Sky News” is fairly lame.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 26-07-2023

What annoys me with GB News is the lack of balance - I do not mind at all in it being a right leaning channel, no problem at all - it is the pretence that they are balanced which annoys me.

The worst case is a certain Mr W show at 9pm weekdays, where in the opening seconds of the show he claims no spin and no bias, and within seconds he does the opposite to what he has just claimed.

Admit what you are, stop pretending what you are not, and I wouldn't have much issue with GB News.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 26-07-2023

(26-07-2023, 02:54 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Trying very hard to put his politics aside, he's a good "broadcaster" in a sense that he has a voice and a presence that's oddly endearing. I recall Matt Forde saying something along those lines when talking about his impression of him, and that he just generally has a good speaking voice.
It's funny had he gone down a different route he could have ended up a much respected broadcaster.

Nobody should be discussing themselves on the news though.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 26-07-2023

(26-07-2023, 02:54 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Trying very hard to put his politics aside, he's a good "broadcaster" in a sense that he has a voice and a presence that's oddly endearing. I recall Matt Forde saying something along those lines when talking about his impression of him, and that he just generally has a good speaking voice.

I think I, as well as a lot of other level-headed critics of GBN, wouldn't be so bitter if they weren't so flagrantly in breach of so many Ofcom rules. Feel free to mouth your own opinions, that's freedom of speech, and we see plenty of it on the likes of LBC. But to do so on a *news channel*, to report on stories that actually involve you and pass comment on them, to broadcast unchallenged conspiracy theories, to have MPs interview their own MPs... Don't tell me these same people wouldn't be up in arms if left-wing people were doing the same thing on something called Guardian TV News.

It's worth remembering that Ofcom are consulting on whether serving MPs can also present programmes. It wasn't an issue when all they'd do is guest present HIGNFY or other shows once in a blue moon, but there's been an increase in it since the two partisan 'news' channels launched using Conservative MPs as talent.

Personally the worst of the lot is when GB News get two Tory MPs who are married interviewing another Conservative MP which really stretches impartiality when they're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

The implications if Ofcom change the rules would also affect more level headed opinion outlets like LBC who may not be able to hire David Lammy for a week coveing James O'Brien.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 26-07-2023

Yes - it would serve them right if they were banned completely considering they just took the mic. Talk TV as bad now with two Tories and a Ukipper in the weekend schedule. I do think at a bare minimum a serving MP should be banned from hosting a TV show on any day Parliament is sitting - though perhaps that's a rule the Commons should be enforcing rather than the regulator.

Can't help but wonder if the Farage issue has been deliberately upplayed as a distraction from the Woottan issue, though of course ultimately nobody cares about Dan Woottan because unlike Schofield and Edwards he isn't a much loved and respected broadcaster.

RE: GB News - Steve in Pudsey - 26-07-2023

(26-07-2023, 05:08 PM)London Lite Wrote:  'The implications if Ofcom change the rules would also affect more level headed opinion outlets like LBC who may not be able to hire David Lammy for a week coveing James O'Brien.

Just as a point of clarification, Lammy has a regular Sunday night show on LBC rather than just the occasional spot of depping for James O'B.

RE: GB News - Luc - 26-07-2023

Further clarification...it's Sunday morning.

They've also previously used the likes of Chris Bryant and Matt Hancock, albeit just for cover.

RE: GB News - Stooky Bill - 26-07-2023

Telegraph: Hedge fund belonging to owner of GB News made £5 million by shorting NatWest shares:

Admin edit: per our site rules, please do not reproduce (or provide links to a copy of) paywalled content.

RE: GB News - Larry the Loafer - 27-07-2023

*****post deleted, please disregard*****

RE: GB News - agemame - 27-07-2023

I know there's a difference between what can be done through newspapers and news channels, but at what point does running a story where you actively gain financially become a problem?