Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - derek500 - 27-07-2023

(25-07-2023, 10:55 PM)tvchris Wrote:  Good to see the BBC's Tomasz Schafernaker correcting GB News today about heat temperatures. Neil Oliver made up loads of lies on the Dan Wootton programme last night. 

https://twitter.com/Schafernaker/status/1683747683268272128?t=szNaXHva8Q_42yfsggkExw&s=19 

Not sure Oliver was wrong.     

https://notrickszone.com/2023/07/19/europes-48c-horror-that-never-was-esa-media-sharply-criticized-for-manipulative-reporting/ 

It appears broadcasters picked up on the European Space Agency's report that used ground temperature predictions, but said they were air temperatures.  

"Temperatures are sizzling across Europe this week amid an intense and prolonged period of heat. And it’s only just begun. Italy, Spain, France, Germany and Poland are all facing a major heatwave with air temperatures expected to climb to 48°C on the islands of Sicily and Sardinia – potentially the hottest temperatures ever recorded in Europe.”

The original ESA report continued, only later specifying that it was in fact referring to surface temperature (emphasis added):

"The animation below uses data from the Copernicus Sentinel-3 mission’s radiometer instrument and shows the land surface temperature across Italy between 9 and 10 July. As the image clearly shows, in some cities the surface of the land exceeded 45°C, including Rome, Naples, Taranto and Foggia. Along the east slopes of Mount Etna in Sicily, many temperatures were recorded as over 50°C.”

RE: GB News - Keith - 27-07-2023

(27-07-2023, 09:27 AM)derek500 Wrote:  Not sure Oliver was wrong.     

https://notrickszone.com/2023/07/19/europes-48c-horror-that-never-was-esa-media-sharply-criticized-for-manipulative-reporting/ 
I'd respectfully suggest that is not the most reliable source of unbiased journalism, and may not be entirely factually accurate.

Quickly googling one of the authors names mentioned at the top of the website I came across https://climatefeedback.org/claimreview/rates-of-global-sea-level-rise-have-accelerated-since-1900-contrary-to-bloggers-claims/ , which is a fact-checking of one of his previous articles.

Based on this it would appear that one of the notrickszone's owners/writers is a climate sceptic, who has past form for inaccurate articles. It's also noticeable that contact and about us details are somewhat lacking on that site, in contrast to the climate feedback site.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 27-07-2023

And here we have a classic case study in partisan agendas and misinformation.

- Respected scientific organisation published data that was open to misinterpretation, that had a clarification issued (as a responsible org would)

- Clickbait driven media jump on the reports, catastrophe drives SEO Result via increased shares and engagement.  [Happens regardless of topics, from a minor planned TV schedule change being  'x show cancelled' to more important topics]

- Partisan actors use story to push there own agendas

- Claims on both sides prove to be inaccurate and misrepresented. Real people loose out on accurate news on important topics

Will Neil Oliver on GB News correct his false claim that temperatures won't go above 40? And that there are record temps in Europe?  Will the the BBC Weather team who "corrected"  the claims about using land not air temps, acknowledge the source of the confusion, that is was widely reported by media outlets and was also a misleading and wrong use of data?   I doubt either would happen.

It is interesting see what's behind the story. Neil Oliver sees conspiracy everywhere, despite it being just old fashion media sensationalism. Others see anything that debates data as 'climate denialism'. What a sad place to be in for both

(27-07-2023, 03:07 PM)strollfan Wrote:  The admins are usually lightning fast to leap on any discussion they deem off-topic: so why is derek500 being allowed to so freely promote dangerous climate denialism on here without a word from them?

Except he's not. 

He's examining facts that led a broadcaster to make a claim in its content  that another broadcaster to comment.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 27-07-2023

(27-07-2023, 03:18 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  And here we have a classic case study in partisan agendas and misinformation.

- Respected scientific organisation published data that was open to misinterpretation, that had a clarification issued (as a responsible org would)

- Clickbait driven media jump on the reports, catastrophe drives SEO Result via increased shares and engagement.  [Happens regardless of topics, from a minor planned TV schedule change being  'x show cancelled' to more important topics]

- Partisan actors use story to push there own agendas

- Claims on both sides prove to be inaccurate and misrepresented. Real people loose out on accurate news on important topics

Will Neil Oliver on GB News correct his false claim that temperatures won't go above 40? And that there are record temps in Europe?  Will the the BBC Weather team who "corrected"  the claims about using land not air temps, acknowledge the source of the confusion, that is was widely reported by media outlets and was also a misleading and wrong use of data?   I doubt either would happen.

Except he's not. 

He's examining facts that led a broadcaster to make a claim in its content  that another broadcaster to comment.
Oh well, my researched, factually correct evidence, has been removed by the mods.

RE: GB News - Adsales - 27-07-2023

I hope we don't need more than one example which clarifies that actual, professionally measured air temps (at stations which have data going back 100+ years) broke records.

Here's one: http://www.astropa.inaf.it/24-luglio-2023-comunicato-sui-valori-estremi-di-temperatura-registrati/ 

I would hope that even those members who manage to conflate unrelated reports about forecasted temps (ground or air) with what actually happened, have the ability to use a translation tool.

Just to spell it out. This

"So sorry, Tomas Schafernaker, but you're wrong. It was, albeit erroneously, the land surface temperature that was being used."

is probably the biggest false accusation and claim I've seen in this place. Whether it was made due to a genuine misunderstanding (meteorological data isn't easy to understand), in desperation to support GBN or on purpose; it should be retracted.

RE: GB News - Admin PC - 27-07-2023

This thread more than any other has a tendency to venture beyond the scope of this forum.  

If you want to debate the accuracy of what's being reported on GB News vs other outlets, take that debate elsewhere. It's not for this forum.  Some recent posts have been removed.

Strollfan - if there's something you feel forum moderators need to be made aware of, raise it with a member of the mod/admin team, rather than publicly having a go at the mods. And leave it to the mod team to do the moderating, Thank you.

RE: GB News - Admin PC - 28-07-2023

(27-07-2023, 03:29 PM)Admin PC Wrote:  This thread more than any other has a tendency to venture beyond the scope of this forum.  

If you want to debate the accuracy of what's being reported on GB News vs other outlets, take that debate elsewhere. It's not for this forum.  Some recent posts have been removed.

Strollfan - if there's something you feel forum moderators need to be made aware of, raise it with a member of the mod/admin team, rather than publicly having a go at the mods. And leave it to the mod team to do the moderating, Thank you.
Some individuals seem to think they're exempt from site rules/moderation.

Any further discussion of the accuracy of news items on this channel - particularly, the recent climate item - will, in the first instance, result in a suspension from the forum.

Further posts and associated nonsense removed.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 28-07-2023

I am stunned!! I can't believe what I have just watched - I chose to watch a few minutes of Laurence Fox GB News show tonight.

1 - he put on a German accent, and was angry at his own GB News bosses about his coverage of the climate change crisis with this summer heatwaves, calling them the "the Stasi at GB News"

2 - he brought on a guest who was a climate change expert Jim Dale, and Laurence put on a German accent to ask this man is there a climate change emergency, and after a bit of mocking from Jim to Laurence, Jim said yes, and Laurence ended the interview after 1 minute on air, cut the man off mid sentence.

Now, how will GB management like this? I am stunned, is this what he is like every Friday on GB News?

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 28-07-2023

I quite like GB News, but what is going on with Laurence Fox?

Not his opinions, just the style, if you can call it that, of broadcasting he uses.

Tonight’s show is just flat out unprofessional, embarrassing and also boring. These aren’t technical issues, it’s Fox himself. Last week was the same.

I don’t often say this but they need to get this show off the air.

He’s acting like he doesn’t want the job any more and is seeing how far he can push it before they sack him.

Again, nothing to do with his opinions, and I like a lot of the channel’s output, but this is real car crash broadcasting.

RE: GB News - TMD_24 - 28-07-2023

(28-07-2023, 08:21 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I quite like GB News, but what is going on with Laurence Fox?

Not his opinions, just the style, if you can call it that, of broadcasting he uses.

Tonight’s show is just flat out unprofessional, embarrassing and also boring. These aren’t technical issues, it’s Fox himself. Last week was the same.

I don’t often say this but they need to get this show off the air.

He’s acting like he doesn’t want the job any more and is seeing how far he can push it before they sack him.

Again, nothing to do with his opinions, and I like a lot of the channel’s output, but this is real car crash broadcasting.

Won't go into too much detail but I watched his opening monologue last week and some of the things he said was borderline libel. He just comes across as unlikeable and I say this as someone who doesn't mind Nigel Farage as a broadcaster even though I totally disagree with many of the things he has a view on.