Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 28-07-2023

(28-07-2023, 08:32 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Won't go into too much detail but I watched his opening monologue last week and some of the things he said was borderline libel. He just comes across as unlikeable and I say this as someone who doesn't mind Nigel Farage as a broadcaster even though I totally disagree with many of the things he has a view on.
Agreed.

And yes regardless of any of his opinions Farage is an excellent broadcaster and worlds away from Fox.

RE: GB News - mccanmat - 29-07-2023

(28-07-2023, 08:21 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I quite like GB News, but what is going on with Laurence Fox?

Not his opinions, just the style, if you can call it that, of broadcasting he uses.

Tonight’s show is just flat out unprofessional, embarrassing and also boring. These aren’t technical issues, it’s Fox himself. Last week was the same.

I don’t often say this but they need to get this show off the air.

He’s acting like he doesn’t want the job any more and is seeing how far he can push it before they sack him.

Again, nothing to do with his opinions, and I like a lot of the channel’s output, but this is real car crash broadcasting.
You’d think being an “actor” he would be able to act as a presenter

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 29-07-2023

(29-07-2023, 12:16 AM)mccanmat Wrote:  You’d think being an “actor” he would be able to act as a presenter
Yes. I mean, I am aware that acting in a recorded production, and presenting live television, are two very different skills but there are surely SOME overlaps.

It comes across as deliberate. He wasn’t even this bad when his show first started. It genuinely feels like he’s decided he’s had enough and is just going to keep taking the money until they sack him.

I always liked Fox as an actor. I don’t like his new persona, but maybe this is how he always was and his acting was what hid it.

Either way, there must surely be someone available who could do a better job of an hour of live tv once a week.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 29-07-2023

Those slots though aren't hired for their professionalism but for their politics.

(29-07-2023, 12:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Those slots though aren't hired for their professionalism but for their politics.
We do not know that is the case. 

It cannot be long before GB News pull the plug on that show. It is a risk to them, in a way no other show in the channel is.

RE: GB News - KatsKaravan - 29-07-2023

(29-07-2023, 12:29 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  We do not know that is the case. 

It cannot be long before GB News pull the plug on that show. It is a risk to them, in a way no other show in the channel is.
Come on, it's blatantly obvious he only has that show because he's of that political persuasion. I'm sure the bosses hired him knowing he'd get talked about online (as we are doing here).

(29-07-2023, 12:52 PM)KatsKaravan Wrote:  Come on, it's blatantly obvious he only has that show because he's of that political persuasion. I'm sure the bosses hired him knowing he'd get talked about online (as we are doing here).
That isn’t really the same as what you said.

I’m sure at least some consideration is given as to whether someone is capable of presenting to at least a basic level. Obviously they do want people of a certain political persuasion in most presenter roles.

Like I’ve said Fox himself wasn’t this bad when he first started. I’m aware he hasn’t been well, but beyond that I feel it is deliberate behaviour on his part, rather than actual incompetence.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 29-07-2023

(29-07-2023, 01:07 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I’m sure at least some consideration is given as to whether someone is capable of presenting to at least a basic level.

Lee Anderson is wooden, yet he's still presenting.

(29-07-2023, 03:45 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Lee Anderson is wooden, yet he's still presenting.
I don’t disagree, and I don’t really like the bloke, but his show is 100 times more watchable than Fox’s. Admittedly that’s a very low bar. Plus Anderson’s show is pre-recorded and to some degree intended to be quite light hearted, so not comparing like with like as Fox is live.

But yes Anderson is wooden and from what we see in real life, not that pleasant a character.

And I wish they’d stop using sitting MPs as presenters.

RE: GB News - Worzel - 30-07-2023

Having just watched back Lawrence Fox's show from Friday it did seem to be a bit riddled with gaffes.

He didn't have his mic clipped on his jacket after the news update which resulted in a lot of rustling about.

The worst part was at about 15:10 in on the video below where he kept calling one of his guests by the wrong name. The guest also didn't seem to know about what was actually being discussed and finally, Fox said something which was wholly inaccurate about his guest to which the contributor said 'sorry that never happened to me, your source is wrong'.

That wasn't it though as the discussion then went on to Fox suggesting his American guest buy a gun. The whole segment including the mess up at the end where he said he wanted to fire the producer was just complete car crash telly.

How this type of programme helps GB News build any credibility is beyond me. As others have said Farage's show is streets ahead and he does know where to draw the line.

https://www.youtube.com/live/jy48IKIp1MQ?feature=share