Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Toby brown - 01-08-2023

They had Edwina Currie ON Dan's show last night saying Carol Vorderman should be sacked by the bbc from her radio wales show for being bias this is the same Edwina Currie who used to have a show on BBC radio 5 live

RE: GB News - Former Member 237 - 01-08-2023

(29-07-2023, 12:16 AM)mccanmat Wrote:  You’d think being an “actor” he would be able to act as a presenter

I think his problem is that he is not a good presenter. He is very monotone. I watched a bit of his show now and his voice is boring. Coming from someone who also has a monotone voice, I don't mean to be offensive, but TV presenting is not for him. GB News will learn with stuff like this as it develops.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 01-08-2023

When anyone from GB News quotes viewing figures on social media and comparing them with Sky News and BBC News, they are bombarded by people saying they're not, according to Ofcom, a news channel and they should be comparing figures with entertainment channels like Dave.

What is the basis of this?

On the Ofcom licenses website, GB News is classified as News and Dave as General Entertainment.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 01-08-2023

I don't even agree with GBN and Talk TV being classified as news. They should have their own area on the EPG away from the actual news channels which allow viewers to differentiate between actual impartial news sources and opinion.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 06:00 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I don't even agree with GBN and Talk TV being classified as news.    They should have their own area on the EPG away from the actual news channels which allow viewers to differentiate between actual impartial news sources and opinion.
You’d need to move BBC News and Sky News there too, since both also carry opinion.

GB News has hourly (sometimes half hourly) fully separate and OFCOM compliant news bulletins. They are a news channel, albeit not a “rolling” news channel, but there’s no specific distinction.

TalkTV is perhaps a bit murkier.

(01-08-2023, 05:40 PM)derek500 Wrote:  When anyone from GB News quotes viewing figures on social media and comparing them with Sky News and BBC News, they are bombarded by people saying they're not, according to Ofcom, a news channel and they should be comparing figures with entertainment channels like Dave.

On the Ofcom licenses website, GB News is classified as News and Dave as General Entertainment.
It’s people making things up because they don’t like the channel. Fairly common but they’re just noisy people jumping in a bandwagon.

GB News do quite viewing figures quite selectively, but then see also every channel everywhere ever!

RE: GB News - Jon - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 05:40 PM)derek500 Wrote:  When anyone from GB News quotes viewing figures on social media and comparing them with Sky News and BBC News, they are bombarded by people saying they're not, according to Ofcom, a news channel and they should be comparing figures with entertainment channels like Dave.

I think it comes down to most of the shows being classed at discussion rather than News programmes. 

Personally I think they should be in the News section as it’s all discussion of news. It’s News in same way The Sun or the Daily Star are ‘newspapers’.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 01-08-2023

It's the differentation I have issues with. You have the average GB News viewer who watches it as their main choice of gathering news, but the vast majority of each hour is made up of opinion with no fact checking.

There's the token headlines, but as they're headlines, there's no detailed reports on what they're reporting, alas they're getting echo chamber opinions of which some contributors are from the crankier element.

LBC still does this format a lot better, while you'll get Dave from Birmingham calling in to moan about the small boats across the channel, they also have impartial journalists who contribute to the phone-in shows to give listeners a road map to both sides of the story, even if one presenter is conservative skewed and another is more centrist or left wing while any left wing contributors to GBN like Benjamin Butterworth are used as punchbags on Dan's show for example alongside two other right-wing guests.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 01-08-2023

It's because whenever GB News is challenged on it's impartiality their defence is that the presenters are not news presenters and that the bulletins at the top of the hour are the news content, when the rest of the hour shouldn't be considered news programming so it only needs to meet a lower threshold when it comes to impartiality.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 07:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's because whenever GB News is challenged on it's impartiality their defence is that the presenters are not news presenters and that the bulletins at the top of the hour are the news content, when the rest of the hour shouldn't be considered news programming so it only needs to meet a lower threshold when it comes to impartiality.

Maybe so.  But why are people saying GB News isn't licensed as a news channel by Ofcom?

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 01-08-2023

As you ask, I'll cover what I've said before. 

There is no such thing as a news channel in the UK in terms of an Ofcom licence. (therefore law)  

All channels are either DTPS[terrestrial] or  TLCS [sat/cable] and are either Editorial or Teleshopping (PSB 3,4 5 are different as they are specifically awarded rather than granted)

Sky News is therefore the same licence class as XXX GirlGirl, as is GB News and Talk TV

Ofcom regulate content,  so any traditional news bulletins follow PSB style rules on impartiality. Topical news content with opinions etc is regulated under normal due impartiality and fairness rules that apply to all Broadcasting. 

It's standard practice to mix content on channels, so news bulletins follow News rules, kids shows follow kids rules  with different expectations around content style, rules about how things are handled  and for Kids stuff   rules on advertising content allowable around it.

So what GB News and Talk TV do is totally normal, mixing topical news Talk and news bulletins on one channel with different rules for each type.   C5 do similar with Jeremy Vine leading to 5 News.

Sky News mixes content types all the time, its not pure news. Every sports and weather item between the sponsor bumpers isn't news (as news content can't be sponsored)