Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - London Lite - 09-09-2023

It's like the bad old days where ideology was the key reason for hiring rather than their ability to present.

RE: GB News - Jon - 09-09-2023

Well no, that’s pretty shoddy by one of the poorer presenters. I’d maintain this isn’t typical of their output these days though. 
Quote:A couple of interviews have appeared that I assume must have been recorded in the new Westminster studios.

If Stewart’s interview with Camilla Tominey was recorded at the same time, I wonder if we may see the new set for the first time?

I must have forgot to include the link. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAns1Nq1g8&pp=ygUQYWxhc3RhaXIgc3Rld2FydA%3D%3D 

RE: GB News - leewilliams - 09-09-2023

(09-09-2023, 07:11 PM)James Wrote:  Admittedly, it was a questionable decision for them to rush Martin on air like that
You’re telling me! You mention the quality of the BBC NC which has itself been questionable of late but nothing they’ve put out has looked this rank amateur.

Shouldn’t be surprised though when people with zero journalism experience are let loose on the airwaves and asked to do rolling news when the situation merits it - it rightly makes GBN a laughing stock.

RE: GB News - AaronTV - 09-09-2023

(09-09-2023, 09:41 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  Would any of GBN’s usual defenders here like to defend the standard of this?

Clearly the clip in isolation is not fantastic, but I find the relentless whinging about the channel, in place of actually discussing the presentation, so tiresome.  

Whilst watching the clips this week of the moment news of the Queen’s death was announced on the different channels, I was struck by the blip ITV News had when the moment came - Mary built up to reading the statement, only for it not to be on the autocue, and to not have a paper copy either. After quite a few seconds it looks to have been relayed to her by earpiece and then read to us. Sky News didn’t have the statement ready as they announced the Queen’s passing either. 

My point, therefore, is that mistakes happen - even when it really matters. No live TV channel is immune from them. 

With the added context two posts above yours, the clip doesn’t seem so bad - this was not the moment the news was broken to viewers, as had been suggested. I highly suspect you didn’t check the context before commenting this. 

The anchor from the following hour was put on air 10 minutes early and had probably not heard the actual news update itself. With that in mind, you can certainly see how it happened, although it’s clearly not fantastic. 

More broadly, however, GB News exists, whether you like it or not - these kinds of passive aggressive comments are not going to change that.

RE: GB News - bilky asko - 10-09-2023

(09-09-2023, 10:09 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  Clearly the clip in isolation is not fantastic, but I find the relentless whinging about the channel, in place of actually discussing the presentation, so tiresome.  

Whilst watching the clips this week of the moment news of the Queen’s death was announced on the different channels, I was struck by the blip ITV News had when the moment came - Mary built up to reading the statement, only for it not to be on the autocue, and to not have a paper copy either. After quite a few seconds it looks to have been relayed to her by earpiece and then read to us. Sky News didn’t have the statement ready as they announced the Queen’s passing either. 

My point, therefore, is that mistakes happen - even when it really matters. No live TV channel is immune from them. 

With the added context two posts above yours, the clip doesn’t seem so bad - this was not the moment the news was broken to viewers, as had been suggested. I highly suspect you didn’t check the context before commenting this. 

The anchor from the following hour was put on air 10 minutes early and had probably not heard the actual news update itself. With that in mind, you can certainly see how it happened, although it’s clearly not fantastic. 

More broadly, however, GB News exists, whether you like it or not - these kinds of passive aggressive comments are not going to change that.

Even with the context, that is an excruciating watch. Surely it's less excusable as the news has already broken?

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 10-09-2023

If anything cutting away from "presenters" to others to break such news highlights even more why MPs have no place presenting on a news channel in the first place.

RE: GB News - AaronTV - 10-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 12:47 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  Even with the context, that is an excruciating watch. Surely it's less excusable as the news has already broken?

Of course it’s clearly pretty embarrassing to watch, and evidently they still don’t have the right resources for breaking news. 

It’s not something I would actively watch anyway, but if I was and saw there was a big story breaking, I would be switching over as clearly they can’t really do major breaking stories justice. 

I think the most seasoned of presenters, however, would probably struggle with being plonked on air 10 minutes early and told to discuss a piece of breaking news that they hadn’t actually heard because they getting mic’ed up etc and weren’t listening to that news come in. The presenter then not unreasonably assumed there might be something ready on the autocue, only to find it’s their script for their show in 10 minutes time, and they’ve been given no paper copy. 

Although clearly this shows the danger of using ‘personalities’ with no formal training as your presenters, especially when your operation is pretty small, I do think the gallery put the presenter in a pretty unreasonable position there. 

A more experienced presenter might have ad-libbed or filled time until the autocue was updated or they were given a paper copy, but it’s pretty difficult when you don’t have the actual story!

It’s easy to forget that in live TV news terms most of the ‘presenters’ are effectively random people they’ve picked up off the street, not helped by what seems like a pretty chaotic gallery and production situation.

RE: GB News - Jon - 10-09-2023

So Alastair Stewart interview is actually live in the Westminster studio. Alastair has revealed the reason for his absence early onset vascular dementia and has had several mini strokes.

RE: GB News - Jon - 10-09-2023

The new Westminster studio will be named The Alastair Stewart studio.

Globaltraffic24 - Globaltraffic24 - 10-09-2023

(09-09-2023, 10:09 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  Clearly the clip in isolation is not fantastic, but I find the relentless whinging about the channel, in place of actually discussing the presentation, so tiresome.  

With respect, I think it’s you who is allowing their political views and support for GBNews to cloud your judgement. 

People are rightly criticising the segment as it’s reflective of a lack of preparedness and quality. Breaking news is the point when media is truly tested and exposed. 

Criticism is both valid and essential for the success of GBNews. If people don’t flag up failings or are silenced and called ‘woke anti GBNews types’ for simply calling out poor output, the channel will NEVER push itself to improve and its team of producers will become lazy and accept the failings. In other words “it’s fine guys. Nobody noticed. Don’t worry about it”. 

This is EXACTLY what happened at Sun News in Canada. The channel was designed to stir up controversy and opinion. Eventually viewers got bored and stopped watching. This included the critics. The result was that output was gradually stripped right back alongside resources and the channel eventually vanished without any fanfare or noise. 

If you support GBNews, please don’t justify its problems!