Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - VMPhil - 10-09-2023

What terrible news. Alastair remains one of my favourite ever broadcasters. Glad he will be given the recognition he deserves.

RE: GB News - Jon - 10-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 10:46 AM)Jon Wrote:  So Alastair Stewart interview is actually live in the Westminster studio. Alastair has revealed the reason for his absence early onset vascular dementia and has had several mini strokes.
And not in the Westminster studio I should have stated.

RE: GB News - RDJ - 10-09-2023

Nice to see ITV News report on this without any mention of the reason as to why he was dismissed from ITN.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-09-10/tv-veteran-alastair-stewart-reveals-dementia-diagnosis 

I’d like to think he’s still fondly remembered by his former colleagues, and that the mistake he made in 2020 shouldn’t define his lengthy career.

RE: GB News - Larry the Loafer - 10-09-2023

I still think it was a farce for him to be dismissed the way he was. I have to trust the story that he had form for putting his foot in it, mainly for my own sanity.

RE: GB News - mccanmat - 10-09-2023

To come forward with such news really helps others to identify signs in order to get to the GP as soon as. Sad to say, the last few weeks Alastair was on air he seemed something was up

RE: GB News - DavidWhitfield - 10-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 10:57 AM)Jon Wrote:  The new Westminster studio will be named The Alastair Stewart studio.

A nice touch.

I've always liked Alastair. Always comes across as a very competent and professional presenter, and seems to have a nice way about him. I recall watching a clip of an ITV News lunchtime bulletin where he was interviewing a mother and her child who grew restless and started crawling around on the table. The way Alastair calmly and kindly spoke to the child and humoured them as they found ways to amuse themselves was rather sweet to see.

Sad to hear of his health issues. If rest is what he needs, then he's done the right thing in stepping back, and I wish him well.

RE: Globaltraffic24 - AaronTV - 10-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 11:13 AM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  With respect, I think it’s you who is allowing their political views and support for GBNews to cloud your judgement. 

People are rightly criticising the segment as it’s reflective of a lack of preparedness and quality. Breaking news is the point when media is truly tested and exposed. 

Criticism is both valid and essential for the success of GBNews. If people don’t flag up failings or are silenced and called ‘woke anti GBNews types’ for simply calling out poor output, the channel will NEVER push itself to improve and its team of producers will become lazy and accept the failings. In other words “it’s fine guys. Nobody noticed. Don’t worry about it”. 

This is EXACTLY what happened at Sun News in Canada. The channel was designed to stir up controversy and opinion. Eventually viewers got bored and stopped watching. This included the critics. The result was that output was gradually stripped right back alongside resources and the channel eventually vanished without any fanfare or noise. 

If you support GBNews, please don’t justify its problems!

My post literally two before yours stated I don’t watch GB News, and I made no allusion to my political leanings whatsoever, but interesting that you thought you could judge my political views based on a single comment… You are not a fantastic guesser, clearly.

RE: GB News - Humphrey Hacker - 10-09-2023

Very sad news indeed. Whatever you may think about Alastair's dismissal from ITV News you can't deny his sheer professionalism. I wish him well.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 10-09-2023

It didn't matter if Alastair worked on GB News, London Tonight under LNN or ITN or ITV News, he was the most passionate broadcaster and supporter for his colleagues and journalism in general.

RE: GB News - mouseboy33 - 11-09-2023

Some will say its Monday morning quarterbacking....but that was Ron Burgundy bad. Yeah maybe he was thrown in the anchor chair after a 10 minute change over, but wasnt he in the newsroom before getting on camera..... Prepping for his shift?

But i think thats where this "VOICE OF GOD" style of "newsreader-presenting" fails, because when there is a fast moving breaking story, sometimes you have to just stop and drop the robotic facade. Everyone is human. Inform the viewers that we have fast moving developments and the story is still fluid at this hour. " I'm just being told the latest that we are getting into our newsroom...." Instead of staring into the camera like a deer caught in headlights and just moving your lips. Listen, look down and write down what you are being told in your IFB. They do this on CNN, and MSNBC and hundreds of local tv stations across Canada/US. JUST PAUSE. (Gallery should have given him the quick bullet points on what just happened and whats next and I dont see anything wrong with asking the gallery a question) Take a breath and then resume. Start at the top and run it all down again."Here is where are at this hour and what we know in this fast developing story. We are being told blah blah..."

But unfortunately this further exposes chinks in GBNEWS ability to gather and quickly disseminate breaking news smoothly.