Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Jon - 27-09-2023

(27-09-2023, 07:23 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Indeed. Challenging viewpoints is natural. Attacking another human being is beyond the pale. If GBNews does crash and burn then it will be because of this. I hope it doesn't because in some ways it has been a blast of fresh air.
What do you think it’s brought to audiences then?

GB News isn’t going to collapse because of this. If they were ever hoping to be entirely relying on advertising it might set them back. But don’t think their backers will just pull out due to this. Ultimately it’s the latest in a string of news stories, which means that people know about the channel. Besides where would all the car dealerships and jewellery stores in South Wales advertise now. 

Not sure about whether Wootton will return but I suspect this is an easy way to  distance themselves from him given the recent news coverage without making it about that news story.

RE: GB News - Humphrey Hacker - 27-09-2023

(27-09-2023, 07:40 PM)Jon Wrote:  What do you think it’s brought to audiences then?

GB News isn’t going to collapse because of this. If they were ever hoping to be entirely relying on advertising it might set them back. But don’t think their backers will just pull out due to this. Ultimately it’s the latest in a string of news stories, which means that people know about the channel. Besides where would all the car dealerships and jewellery stores in South Wales advertise now. 

Not sure about whether Wootton will return but I suspect this is an easy way to  distance themselves from him given the recent news coverage without making it about that news story.

Its brought a lot to audiences. Granted I don't agree with many of the views but that fact that such views are broadcasted is s sign of a free society.

Like you I don't know about Wootton either but I can't see Fox returning.

RE: GB News - Jon - 27-09-2023

Mark Dolan is covering. The show is using his branding, I think when Wootton was on holiday in the past they used his branding. He also addressed the issue in his opening monologue.

RE: GB News - TJTSW - 27-09-2023

Ive grown to warm to GB News, i dont like all the programmes but i do like breakfast on Fridays and weekends with Ann and Stephen
with regards to Dan wooten well its no loss to the channel and thank god they have dropped any promos with his voice or his show when they go to the weather and then the promos for each show, is nice not to have dan wooten's voice feature so far since i tuned in tonight,

RE: GB News - Blubatt - 27-09-2023

I think GB News has done the right thing in suspending the both of them, but it should never have been allowed to happen. The channel, as a whole, has a huge image problem. People are going to see it not as a channel that offers an alternative to the extant news broadcasters, but as a channel that condones some pretty shady comments. Wooton should have had control in that situation, but he didn't, and he likely won't be back on there for a good while, if at all.

RE: GB News - Former Member 237 - 27-09-2023

I’m not really sure why GB news would crash and burn because of this. It’s not a one man band. Millions of pounds have been invested. Such comments are very revealing….

RE: GB News - JAS84 - 27-09-2023

(27-09-2023, 04:23 PM)Adsales Wrote:  Isn't it funny how quickly things can move if it's about the bottom line?

Based on precedent (humiliating and demeaning someone on air plus causing offence), this could easily result in a fine of £200k+ and as mentioned in my earlier post, even the most "we advertise anywhere" brands are most likely currently re-assessing whether it is worth being associated with GBN.
200k? Would that be enough to bankrupt the channel?

RE: GB News - Stooky Bill - 27-09-2023

The Byline Times has an article about today's events which includes this about what what is supposedly been going on at GB News 

Byline Times understands that it was the threat of “staff insurrection” over how Wootton, the show’s executive editor, handled the segment – and the apparent mocking of production staff (per Fox’s tweets) – which led to Wootton’s suspension. 

One senior host told this newspaper it had been “inevitable”.

Other GB News sources suggest Fox and Wootton will never again appear on the channel. Senior newsroom sources have said Frangopoulos ignored warnings from staff members that the continual employment of Fox and Wootton was “an accident waiting to happen”. One senior presenter said: “It’s about time. But why only suspend Wootton? They should get rid of him for good.”

Employees have painted a picture of a “rudderless” organisation that has lost hundreds of experienced journalists in the past two years, driven out by “presenter power” and a management team which refuses to listen to their warnings about potential breaches of the Ofcom code, and which is now has a staff heavy with “uni leavers and ideologues”.

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/09/27/this-is-a-network-problem-dan-wootton-suspended-from-gb-news/ 

RE: GB News - Omnipresent - 27-09-2023

Adam Boulton has called on Newsnight for OFCOM to take the channel off air.

RE: GB News - Alf Stewart - 28-09-2023

(27-09-2023, 08:16 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Its brought a lot to audiences. Granted I don't agree with many of the views but that fact that such views are broadcasted is s sign of a free society.

Like you I don't know about Wootton either but I can't see Fox returning.

Yes, but what has it brought? You keep saying that but don't give any specifics when asked.