Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 29-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 11:21 AM)Keith Wrote:  I suspect that's part of the reason why at the top of the hour they have the news headlines read out by a separate person, from a different part of the set.  That way they can state that part is the 'news' section, and that it is clearly distinguished from the rest of the current affairs / opinion programming.

The point is though the rest of the hour clearly isn't "current affairs" programming.   It's news programming - not a news bulletin but certainly more news based than what would traditionally be classed as "current affairs" (i.e. Dispatches, Panorama, Tonight).

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 29-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 02:48 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  If they are going to suspend even those giving an opinion about the event then perhaps the channel should crash and burn because it largely defeats the purpose of its existence. All very odd.
Its purpose is stated in its editorial charter,  and nothing they have done is at odds with that, if anything it's bringing it more in line with those principles.

https://www.gbnews.com/about-us/our-editorial-charter 

Lots of noise about the channel,  but looking objectively:

- Two presenters robustly discuss issues and opinions on Russell Brand.  MP objects that presenter can't work as she had an opinion  that made her partial,  Channels points out that its the very epitome of impartial with two opposing views presented by hosts of equal standing presented throughout.

- Contributer (Fox) says something misogynist against a public figure; gets fired for it [correctly in my opinion]. Should the channel close because of this?  Was BBC Radio 2 closed when Brand and Ross said much worse about a Private figure? 

- Host didn't follow editorial direction apparently; at the very least didn't act appropriately on air. Suspended, as you would from any Broadcaster (Sky and BBC News hace Suspended talent before without calls to be shut down)

- Part time host and contributer makes public statement, despite apparently being instructed like all staff not to comment. Also likely breaking a standard non disparagment clause in his contract.  Gets Suspended. 

No broadcasting company can allow people on air who it can't trust to follow its editorial instructions, preferences and limits.

There's lots of partizan noise from left wing activists like Byeline times, however anyone intelligent reading it would spot the significant inaccuracies, misrepresentation and journalistic fluff that pad a story with drama where there is little of fact to report. 

The fact remains GB News has just three ofcom judgement against it, and less compliant incidents than ITV Good Morning Britain and ITV News alone created of the same period. With political noise and with an eye on a change of government,  Ofcom are under pressure to react in a way they don't usual do on.such matters - this will not be good for democratic debate.

Hopefully the channel will realise it can make a broadcast business that works without the Fox/Calvin/Wooton/Grimes  end of dumb clicks,  in the way it found it didn't  need Steyn.

RE: GB News - thePineapple - 29-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 05:26 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:   - Contributer (Fox) says something misogynist against a public figure; gets fired for it [correctly in my opinion]. Should the channel close because of this?  Was BBC Radio 2 closed when Brand and Ross said much worse about a Private figure? 

- Host didn't follow editorial direction apparently; at the very least didn't act appropriately on air. Suspended, as you would from any Broadcaster (Sky and BBC News have suspended talent before without calls to be shut down)
I think the calls for GB News to shut down argue that there's a culture there which enables incidents like the Laurence Fox one to happen - and point to separate incidents of personal attacks which perhaps suggest that respect and dignity aren't always at the forefront of presenters'/producers' minds.

You're not wrong in your implication though - a lot of the criticism surrounding GB News is of course politically motivated; calls for the channel to close are made because detractors fundamentally disagree with the right-wing rhetoric of many hosts - and think that those views have no place on TV. They would argue that slight biases in Sky and the BBC are different to the agenda of GB News - and, whether they're right or not, I think it's fact that suspensions of hosts on other news channels have been for issues completely unlike the ones Wootton and Fox were involved in.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 29-09-2023

One of their backers is bidding for the Telegraph which would provide two right-wing brand synergy and needs to prove they're fit and proper to operate a heritage print brand in addition to the topical discussion channel. (I refuse to call it a news channel when it clearly isn't).

So when two presenters make unacceptable remarks towards a female journalist who doesn't share their opinion and one of them rumoured to have not followed the direction of the producer in the gallery, nor the editor to read a formal apology, then there are possible grounds for gross misconduct, then it's easier to suspend the difficult talent than have them broadcasting.

The question for GB News is where do they want to be? Do they want to continue to be a challenger brand by allowing their hot headed middle aged male presenters spout off any old rubbish under the premise of free speech or reign it in like Talk TV are doing next week, which would get Ofcom off their back and liberal/left wing activists from complaning when they cross the line?

Talk TV doesn't get anywhere the complaints GB News have. They've also questioned issues that their core right-wing audience are concerned about, but they seem to toe the line a lot better than GBN has.

RE: GB News - DavidWhitfield - 29-09-2023

Mark Dolan has just told X (formerly Twitter): "I'll be making a statement about GB News at exactly 10pm."

Not about HIM or his programme, but "about GB News"... sounds a bit ominous.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 29-09-2023

Arguably too their model being somewhat successful will ultimately work against them. As much as they like to position themselves as the anti-MSM the more that finds an audience the more mainstream they become and the more blowback they'll get in these situations.

If anything this weeks events aren't a step towards closure but a step towards a more professional operation.

RE: GB News - DavidWhitfield - 29-09-2023

So, I've been had.

Having seen Mark's video shared on X about "a statement about GB News", I actually bothered to put it on at 10pm, only to find out that this big announcement amounted to "GB News isn't going anywhere".

I've been hoodwinked there by the verbal equivalent of clickbait.

More fool me for thinking I may tune in to hear something of interest!

RE: GB News - XIII - 29-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 07:47 PM)London Lite Wrote:  One of their backers is bidding for the Telegraph which would provide two right-wing brand synergy and needs to prove they're fit and proper to operate a heritage print brand in addition to the topical discussion channel.  (I refuse to call it a news channel when it clearly isn't).

So when two presenters make unacceptable remarks towards a female journalist who doesn't share their opinion and one of them rumoured to have not followed the direction of the producer in the gallery, nor the editor to read a formal apology, then there are possible grounds for gross misconduct, then it's easier to suspend the difficult talent than have them broadcasting.

The question for GB News is where do they want to be?    Do they want to continue to be a challenger brand by allowing their hot headed middle aged male presenters spout off any old rubbish under the premise of free speech or reign it in like Talk TV are doing next week, which would get Ofcom off their back and liberal/left wing activists from complaning when they cross the line?

Talk TV doesn't get anywhere the complaints GB News have.  They've also questioned issues that their core right-wing audience are concerned about, but they seem to toe the line a lot better than GBN has.

Rebranding GB News as say Telegraph TV would probably do it the whole of good and I wonder if they will end up getting rid of many of the hotheads and bring in more sensible broadcasters.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 30-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 11:33 PM)XIII Wrote:  Rebranding GB News as say Telegraph TV would probably do it the whole of good and I wonder if they will end up getting rid of many of the hotheads and bring in more sensible broadcasters.

It'd certainly require improved production standards which should be the case when they move to Westminster for the refit of the Paddington Basin studio.

RE: GB News - Former Member 237 - 30-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 05:26 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Its purpose is stated in its editorial charter,  and nothing they have done is at odds with that, if anything it's bringing it more in line with those principles.

https://www.gbnews.com/about-us/our-editorial-charter 

These are open to interpretation. I can see one has been breeched. I think Fox went over the line and had to be suspended, the host did not challenge him, so barring all else should get a slap on the wrist so to speak. But it’s unclear why the third presenter was suspended. And I think many will wonder why also as it seems to go against everything the channel claimed to stand for. They will need to tread very carefully.