Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Stooky Bill - 30-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 07:47 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Talk TV doesn't get anywhere the complaints GB News have.  They've also questioned issues that their core right-wing audience are concerned about, but they seem to toe the line a lot better than GBN has.I
 It doesn't get anywhere the audience either. 

The big difference is that GB News is the plaything of a foreign hedge-fund and Talk TV is an outlet of a long established media corporation. They are experienced in producing content in print and radio, and by association, TV through Sky. 

That said, their parent company is currently involved in two of the biggest media scandals, one on each side of the Atlantic - phone hacking and election fraud allegations - so they're also having to be careful

RE: GB News - London Lite - 30-09-2023

(30-09-2023, 07:00 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  These are open to interpretation. I can see one has been breeched. I think Fox went over the line and had to be suspended, the host did not challenge him, so barring all else should get a slap on the wrist so to speak. But it’s unclear why the third presenter was suspended. And I think many will wonder why also as it seems to go against everything the channel claimed to stand for. They will need to tread very carefully.

Apparently it's down to mentioning his support for Dan Wootton on Twitter.

RE: GB News - matthieu1221 - 30-09-2023

(28-09-2023, 08:09 PM)LDN Wrote:  Lee Anderson has today been promoting his "exclusive scoop" interview with Home Secretary Suella Braverman, which will air tomorrow night on GB News. 
https://twitter.com/LeeAndersonMP_/status/1707390694359273908 

Incredibly, this comes literally 10 days (!!) after Ofcom found that GB News had breached impartiality rules when Conservative MPs Esther McVey and Philip Davies interviewed the Chancellor. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66844182  

Ofcom said the programme was "overwhelmingly reflective of the viewpoints of different strands of opinion within the Conservative party", and that the interview had failed to include "an appropriately wide range of significant views", and consequently found GB News in breach of its rules. 

Lee Anderson is the Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party. He is a self-appointed general in the culture wars, frequently using immigration as an issue to fuel outrage among his supporters. He recently stated that any asylum seeker complaining about being housed on a barge like the Bibby Stockholm "should f**k off back to France". He said in the Commons that housing "illegal immigrants" in temporary hotel accommodation "leaves a bitter taste in my throat", adding that we should instead "send them straight back the same day". 

Is anyone seriously expecting that Anderson will ensure "an appropriately wide range of significant views" are presented, as he interviews the Home Secretary about her views on immigration, many of which he publicly shares? What balance can there possibly be in an interview between two like-minded colleagues who are both on the far-right of their political party? 

How does this interview not end up in another breach of Ofcom rules?

They are just pushing the boundaries once again and hoping that it'll eventually be accepted during Ofcom rules and used as a new precedent.

Because they could very well use one of their actual journalists for the interview. It won't be as hard-hitting and perhaps as inquisitive as on Sky with Sophy Ridge but at least it'd be less blatant.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 30-09-2023

(30-09-2023, 12:25 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Apparently it's down to mentioning his support for Dan Wootton on Twitter.

It was more than a mention, it was an essay on fighting for his particular "pure" GB News.

No employer, let alone a broadcaster,  can allow its staff or contractors to breach instructions about internal staff issues or breach non disparagment clauses in a contract. Do you think GMBs team didn't want to comment on Piers?  The ITV Daytime team comment on Scofield?  Sky News team with the Burley/Rigby suspensions? They didn't becouse of professional obligations.

So it's about trust not free speech; and Calvin isn't stupid and knows that, however much living in a conspiracy universe may have addled his judgment.

GBNews could take the opportunity to pivot to professional presentation and comment sections that stay true to its audience's issues but don't venture into conspiracy.  You can have strong opinions like Nana Akua that are professionally presented,  delivered in line with the editorial choices of the production team that work for the audience/channel, but don't approach everything from an extreme or msm conspiracy angle.

RE: GB News - leewilliams - 30-09-2023

(30-09-2023, 07:00 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  But it’s unclear why the third presenter was suspended.
Because you can’t go round publicly accusing your bosses of being “scared”, claiming the channel’s on “borrowed time” and suggesting Dan Wootton’s eventual successor will be “making space for their own corpse”.

In all the broadcasting contracts I’ve had, it’s always crystal clear - you may not bring your employer into disrepute and said employer reserves the risk to being disciplinary proceedings against you, or terminate your contract, if you do.

RE: GB News - Former Member 237 - 30-09-2023

What I was trying to get at was, is that GB news has gone out of its way to claim it’s for free speech and more. Regardless of what any contract says, the viewer may have a different opinion. Time will tell how much this saga will “damage” the channel. But I think GB news need to issue some kind of on air statement officially and explain things fully. Personally I would have expected the third presenter to remain in post and the boss of GB news come on the screen to explain things in order to keep the channel in good standing with their target audience. I’d say at the moment it could all go pear shaped if anyone else is suspected.

RE: GB News - radiorebel - 30-09-2023

I found the interview with Suella Braverman interesting on Lee Anderson’s show. It was heavily edited, barely any direct questions or input from Lee. It even had a right of reply from the Labour Party at the end! They are definitely taking this ofcom situation seriously.

RE: GB News - VMPhil - 02-10-2023

There's an article in the Sunday Times about this week's incident. It also says that Dan Wootton ignored instructions to apologise on air.

"According to multiple sources at GB News, Wootton had been instructed through his earpiece to stop Fox and challenge him. But, the sources said, he ignored these instructions, even when they had come from a member of senior management. They also alleged that Wootton, whose show ran until 11pm, later ignored an autocue instruction to issue an apology on air.

In the meantime, Evans was made aware of Fox’s comments by somebody within the GB News building"

For subscribers: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/inside-the-gb-news-meltdown-five-days-that-left-a-tv-station-in-crisis-86q5r5r9v 

RE: GB News - London Lite - 02-10-2023

Ava Evans said in her Newscast interview that she has friends who work at GB News, so it wouldn't surprise me if that part of the story, which was also mentioned by Laurence Fox in his interview on Rumble with Andrew Tate is true.

An insider told The Sunday Times (I'm also a subscriber), so have no issue sharing this quote.

Quote:If GB News is to become a respected news channel, then all the people on it need to be respectable. There’s long been talk along the lines of: we need to get rid of the cranks and get serious.”

That confirms at least there are two ideological sides at the channel, those with journalistic ethics who want the channel to conform to the standards used by the BBC, Sky, ITV and other mainstream channels and those who believe in free speech who want it to continue to be based on debating issues that are borderline offensive or cross the line that Fox did last week.

RE: GB News - radiorebel - 02-10-2023

Has Erron Gordon joined GBN yet? It has all gone very quiet on that front, he has no mention of the channel on his social media.