Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Alf Stewart - 28-10-2023

(28-10-2023, 11:43 AM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  If it gets people talking about the channel -- regardless of the actual ratings -- I'm pretty sure that would be considered a success.

I don't know if that's entirely true.

If I opened a Cafe and everyone talked about it but no-one came to buy anything I doubt I'd be in business very long.

Same goes with this. If everyone's talking about Boris's programme but no-one actually watches then it keeps GB News on the status quo.

RE: GB News - callumwatchestelly - 28-10-2023

(28-10-2023, 10:26 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well I think we can disregard the recent reports of the owner trying to clean up the channel then.    Clearly a political channel masquerading as a news channel that pretends it isn't a news channel - the fact they say they're hiring him to be part of their election coverage says it all though.

The thing though it's a question of when, not if, he gets fired - and he'll get fired for the reason he always gets fired and the reason most wouldn't hire him to begin with.

To be honest, I can only see Boris's show ending by an on-air scandal.

RE: GB News - Spencer - 28-10-2023

Knowing what a stickler Johnson is for meticulous preparation and detail, I’ve no doubt his programme will be entirely focused and incisive, and in no way rambling and incoherent.

In other news, I hear Peppa Pig World has expressed an interest in sponsoring it.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 28-10-2023

I get the feeling that GB News is slowly becoming what Fox News became around the time of the Obama victory in November 2008 - back then Fox News realised there was little hope in John McCain winning for the Republicans, and Obama was a sure victor for the election so they decided to pivot to their core base of right wing audience by hiring the likes of Glenn Beck to be a prominent host on their channel during Obama's first term.

GB News feels they are going the same way - the owners know the conservatives are more likely to be thrashed so they will now focus on being the voice of the right once Labour are in office and Boris on the channel does feel like when Glenn Beck arrived at Fox News.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 28-10-2023

Also, will Boris be on just weekly or nightly? I wonder if they are eyeing him up as a replacement for a Mr DW who used to host the 9pm Mon to Thur slot?

RE: GB News - Reith85 - 28-10-2023

I can't link the article because it's behind a paywall but The Times today suggests that Johnson is not presenting a regular programme on GB News, as the likes of Farage and Rees-Mogg do, but instead will present a series for the channel about power in Britain, and occasionally front programmes in front of live audiences.

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 28-10-2023

(28-10-2023, 09:34 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  I can't link the article because it's behind a paywall but The Times today suggests that Johnson is not presenting a regular programme on GB News, as the likes of Farage and Rees-Mogg do, but instead will present a series for the channel about power in Britain, and occasionally front programmes in front of live audiences.
That’s what the press release said. Never any suggestion of a regular programme, from what I can deduce it’ll be more documentary-like content.

RE: GB News - Spencer - 28-10-2023

Given he’s reported to be earning millions from his various public speaking engagements around the world, it would have been surprising if he’d given that up to host a daily show.

RE: GB News - Matrix - 29-10-2023

(28-10-2023, 10:08 PM)TVViewer256 Wrote:  That’s what the press release said. Never any suggestion of a regular programme, from what I can deduce it’ll be more documentary-like content.

Indeed. I rather suspect, a bit like his Daily Mail articles, it’ll be sporadic and related to episodes he wants to make an intervention in (whether that will be in any form coherent or actually unpack stories is, of course, a different matter). 

GB News is in an interesting place at the moment. The pitch for taking on the Daily Telegraph has undoubtedly changed some of the narrative around the channel and in starting to move away from fringe figures, for the first time, I’ve started to see a coherent approach to output. I’m still firmly of the view that it’s Views (rather than News), and the PowerPoint style graphics are rank amateur, but that’s an aside.

RE: GB News - Jon - 29-10-2023

I would expect there to be a series of pre-recorded programmes in a similar vain to how John Cleese’s new show which starts tonight at 9pm works.

If he doing a programme on ‘power in Britain’ as suggested, I imagine it will be moaning about the civil service.