Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 16-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 07:16 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  BARB have gone back and updated their figures for GB News on New Year's Eve. Unsurprisingly, there's quite a significant drop.

https://x.com/superTV247/status/1747307714764579031?s=20 

Its a shame that while reporting on misleading information, that tweet misleads.

It's more accurate to say BARB gave misleading data to its clients and has had to restate the data.

The tweet implies that GB News gave inaccurate data that BARB has stepped in to correct, which isn't the case at all.

Professionally embarrassing for BARB and it raises legitimate questions on its methodology and significant doubt that its "new" interpretation of old data is any more accurate than the first.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 16-01-2024

Yes, to be fair BARB at fault for that one but even GB News shouldn't have believed that figure. Unlike GB News though BARB hold their hands up when they put something out there which isn't true, which gives the revised figures some credibility but yes, does raise questions. That figure should have raised alarm bells internally that would have prevented it being published.

RE: GB News - strollfan - 16-01-2024

Definitely a bit of an embarrassment for BARB, and I'm sure they will have to answer questions about it.

However, GB News personalities etc seizing the opportunity to promote on it is not exactly peak professionality either, the number very obviously didn't pass the smell test!

RE: GB News - derek500 - 16-01-2024

Even with the New Year's BARB error resolved, for the first time GB News' reach topped 4m in December.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 16-01-2024

It's not just GBN talent who take every opportunity to promote when GB News beats Sky or BBC News for one 15 minute quarter occasionally, it's also management who take to the socials.

RE: GB News - JK08 - 17-01-2024

I agree with others above. Yes, whilst the error lays with BARB, a little bit of critical thinking over at GBN would have saved a fair amount of embarrassment. Rightly or wrongly, it's them who will be mocked for this, not BARB.

RE: GB News - Adsales - 17-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 08:10 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Its a shame that while reporting on misleading information, that tweet misleads.

It's more accurate to say BARB gave misleading data to its clients and has had to restate the data.

The tweet implies that GB News gave inaccurate data that BARB has stepped in to correct, which isn't the case at all.

Professionally embarrassing for BARB and it raises legitimate questions on its methodology and significant doubt that its "new" interpretation of old data is any more accurate than the first.

Oh come off it.

BARB makes crystal clear in its terms of business that it doesn't warrant accuracy of figures. This particularly applies to overnight figures which are more or less automated and more so during holiday periods.

The X post in question merely states facts, namely that GBN screamed from the rooftops that it had an audience in excess of 1 million viewers for the first time ever. BARB stated as early as 2 Jan that this is likely wrong and has now confirmed that it indeed was... to the extent that in fact only 3.3% of the number of viewers GBN had claimed were tuned into the channel.

BARB didn't provide misleading data to its client and was well within its terms of business and within the limit of automated viewing figures. It raised the high likelihood of those figures being inaccurate at the earliest opportunity but that was of course almost 24 hours after GBN published a gloating and non-sensical post about "record viewing" plus a press release claiming the same.

As for your final sentence about accuracy - if that is what you genuinely believe then you need to do your homework about BARB, its systems and the difference between initial overnights vs consolidated data after human QC.

In other words - how desperate or, worst case, stupid can a broadcaster be if they gloat about absurd viewing figures which are unheard of for them and worse, where they apparently occurred at 11 minutes past midnight on New Years day. I mean on what planet would it be even remotely possible for GBN to have a 5.6% share during a broadcast that is for all intents and purposes simulcast on BBC One, ITV 1, Sky News and BBC News.

Simple common sense and comparing the apparent 11 minutes past midnight figures vs 15 minutes earlier or later would have sufficed to make it obvious to anyone that something can't be right. But no, in typical GBN manner let's push out a press release and plaster "the record" all over socials.

Maybe a lesson about being trigger happy with social posts and press releases has been learned but I doubt it.

RE: GB News - Adsales - 17-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 09:32 PM)strollfan Wrote:  Definitely a bit of an embarrassment for BARB, and I'm sure they will have to answer questions about it.

However, GB News personalities etc seizing the opportunity to promote on it is not exactly peak professionality either, the number very obviously didn't pass the smell test!

Not an embarrassment at all. Simply one of the occasions where current technology comes to its limits. There won't be anything to answer about it. It's not the first time it happened, it won't be the last time it'll happen. The difference is that on previous occasions no one even knew about it because broadcasters don't jump on automated viewing figures for programmes that are, in one way or another, simulcast. Well, professional broadcasters don't... as you allude to in your second sentence Smile

RE: GB News - derek500 - 17-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 11:13 PM)London Lite Wrote:  It's not just GBN talent who take every opportunity to promote when GB News beats Sky or BBC News for one 15 minute quarter occasionally, it's also management who take to the socials.

Do you blame them? The general public are fed the line that nobody watches GB News (Ant and Dec I'm looking at you), when it's blatantly untrue.

‼️ Brilliant start to 2024 for The Camilla Tominey Show with another epic set of viewing figures. Average: 123,300; peak: 150,500; audience share: 2.51pc), trouncing @SkyNews (Trevor Phillips: ave: 82,400; peak: 91,600; as: 2.1pc; Sky News Today: ave: 104,100; peak: 104,800; as: 2.17pc). @GBNews beat @SkyNews in the ratings from 0645 to 1230 on Sunday. 👏(Figures: BARB)

If my show/channel was outperforming my main rival, I would shout it to the rooftops. And that's more than an occasional 15 minutes!

RE: GB News - radiorebel - 17-01-2024

I think GB News’ problem is they jump the gun. Put out statements and press releases first, then worry about it later…