Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 14-12-2022

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with everything on GB News so it's not really that much of an echo chamber.

Besides, it is regulated by OFCOM, they have to be giving a voice to all sides whether they want to or not. I know people compare it to Fox News or Sky News Australia, they are not bound by the regulations like GB News is.

(14-12-2022, 11:48 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(14-12-2022, 11:33 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  If the BBC was really that competent and covered what was happening this country, there wouldn't have been a need for GB News.
But of course there would be. GB News is a conscious effort to, from their perspective, ‘provide an alternative’. From what I can see, this mainly revolves around platforming commentators who wouldn’t typically be called upon. 

So, I’m left wondering this: what exactly does GB News cover that isn’t picked up by the BBC, ITN, Sky, or even Talk, Global etc. 

I’m all for a plurality of media (yes, even the Poundland journalism offered by GBN) but let’s be real: they’re not the ones breaking the mould and covering untold stories.

And yet somehow, after 18 months, GB News is starting to compete with BBC News and Sky News.

Also the fact that we both know that GB News is heavily regulated by OFCOM unlike Fox News and Sky News Australia.

You have the right to call it Poundland journalism, I have the right to call it alternative journalism provoking thoughts and challenging consensus, even my own.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 15-12-2022

(14-12-2022, 11:58 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  You have the right to call it Poundland journalism, I have the right to call it alternative journalism provoking thoughts and challenging consensus, even my own.

There were people who thought RT was "alternative journalism" but it was used as a vehicle to destabilise western countries to believing the skewed beliefs of the Russian Government. Now while GBN isn't a vehicle for a government, it is clearly a product designed to promote a niche belief that most people don't believe in which is why it's funded by right-wing organisations who'll continue to support it while it's loss making to get their message out.

Like RT was, it's regulated by Ofcom who have shown to have a soft touch to GBN and Talk TV as Dan Wootton was allowed to spread misinformation on launch day based on it being an opinion, while RT lost their licence when Russia went to war with Ukraine than for anything considered to be disinformation previously broadcast.

RE: GB News - Matrix - 15-12-2022

(14-12-2022, 11:58 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with everything on GB News so it's not really that much of an echo chamber.

Besides, it is regulated by OFCOM, they have to be giving a voice to all sides whether they want to or not. I know people compare it to Fox News or Sky News Australia, they are not bound by the regulations like GB News is.

(14-12-2022, 11:48 PM)Matrix Wrote:  But of course there would be. GB News is a conscious effort to, from their perspective, ‘provide an alternative’. From what I can see, this mainly revolves around platforming commentators who wouldn’t typically be called upon. 

So, I’m left wondering this: what exactly does GB News cover that isn’t picked up by the BBC, ITN, Sky, or even Talk, Global etc. 

I’m all for a plurality of media (yes, even the Poundland journalism offered by GBN) but let’s be real: they’re not the ones breaking the mould and covering untold stories.

And yet somehow, after 18 months, GB News is starting to compete with BBC News and Sky News.

Also the fact that we both know that GB News is heavily regulated by OFCOM unlike Fox News and Sky News Australia.

You have the right to call it Poundland journalism, I have the right to call it alternative journalism provoking thoughts and challenging consensus, even my own.
When I say ‘Poundland’, I’m making a very conscious comment on the cost (and effort) involved in the UK based news-gathering and reporting operation. 

Let me give you an example: the horrible news of the tragic deaths in Solihull. GB News have (days in) managed to have a corespondent and a few live down the line reactions. This is complemented by discussions of the story (in a studio) and some ‘debates’. Again: studio based and involving relatively few payroll costs. 

Compare that with what I know the BBC have done, if you will. We have had entire teams of correspondents researching and sourcing images, reports for tv, radio, and online, various correspondents dispatched to the scene, sourced copy for other agencies, and provided both national and regional programmes. 

I appreciate GB News is a different offer but I come back to your original assertion: ‘GB News offers an alternative to what the BBC doesn’t cover with its focus on international news’. 

Again, I ask, what exactly isn’t the BBC covering? Because, from my perspective, the UK news gathering and reporting of the BBC (and actually most other agencies) far exceeds the bargain basement approach of ‘debate’ in a studio and a random down the line.

RE: GB News - Admin PC - 15-12-2022

This thread has recently veered into discussion of the alleged political biases of certain presenters. A reminder that there is a "no politics" rule on this forum.

Some posts have been removed.

Any further posts that venture into political territory will be removed. Repeated rule breaks will be dealt with appropriately.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 15-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 03:53 PM)AllanTheScot Wrote:  I don't have the pics but can we just mention that Royal Reaction Room which is just a black room with lights and a big red chair...

(14-12-2022, 06:15 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(14-12-2022, 06:06 PM)derek500 Wrote:  ....it's interesting that Sky News' efforts to compete with GB News and a lesser extent Talk TV with their 9pm headline shows appear to be a failure, based on the odd ratings we get.

I don't think Sky News or BBC News are competing, both can't go as downmarket as GB News or Talk TV, there is only a certain level where the can go, and they simply don't want to waste their time or money. 

It is now a basic choice - if you just want pure news, watch Sky News or BBC News. If you want pure opinion, with a dribble of news headlines thrown in then choose GB News or Talk TV.
Sky News has dropped rolling news in the 9pm hour and replaced it with discussion shows.  The Rigby show has even brought in former Marr producer, Rob Burley.  Certainly more costly than rolling news.

I also believe they keep their paper reviewers on for the 11pm hour, a move since the launch of Headliners on GB News.

If those moves aren't competing, what are?

RE: GB News - Skygeek - 15-12-2022

(15-12-2022, 12:41 PM)derek500 Wrote:  
(08-12-2022, 03:53 PM)AllanTheScot Wrote:  I don't have the pics but can we just mention that Royal Reaction Room which is just a black room with lights and a big red chair...

(14-12-2022, 06:15 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I don't think Sky News or BBC News are competing, both can't go as downmarket as GB News or Talk TV, there is only a certain level where the can go, and they simply don't want to waste their time or money. 

It is now a basic choice - if you just want pure news, watch Sky News or BBC News. If you want pure opinion, with a dribble of news headlines thrown in then choose GB News or Talk TV.
Sky News has dropped rolling news in the 9pm hour and replaced it with discussion shows.  The Rigby show has even brought in former Marr producer, Rob Burley.  Certainly more costly than rolling news.

I also believe they keep their paper reviewers on for the 11pm hour, a move since the launch of Headliners on GB News.

The extended 11pm format on Sky pre-dates the launch of GB News itself, let alone that particular programme, so to characterise it as a response is incorrect.

RE: GB News - all new phil - 15-12-2022

(15-12-2022, 02:27 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  
(15-12-2022, 12:41 PM)derek500 Wrote:  Sky News has dropped rolling news in the 9pm hour and replaced it with discussion shows.  The Rigby show has even brought in former Marr producer, Rob Burley.  Certainly more costly than rolling news.

The extended 11pm format on Sky pre-dates the launch of GB News itself, let alone that particular programme, so to characterise it as a response is incorrect.

So everything else is a response?

RE: GB News - Skygeek - 15-12-2022

Not sure I know what you mean, but my point was Sky's 11pm show hasn't been commissioned in response to GB News' 11pm show, because its launch actually pre-dates GB News (the entire channel) by a month or two.

I don't know this to be the case, but from a purely chronological POV in terms of influencing 11pm formats, logic would suggest it's much more likely to be the other way round - particularly as both the Press Preview and the BBC paper review do well in that slot.

RE: GB News - Jon - 15-12-2022

Yes, Headliners has always positioned itself as a different kind of paper review show, so in that regard it is a response to the BBC and Sky’s programmes.

You used to get genuinely interesting conversation on Headliners but but since the departure of Dominic Frisby the pool of contributors seems to have got ever smaller and the intensity of debate has dropped. Simon Fanshawe should be used more often as he often takes things from a different viewpoint from a lot of the others. And Leo Kearse and Nick Dixon shouldn’t be together as they seem to be ideologically matched and the only difference is one is more amusing than the other.

It’s not a right vs left thing, but you want a bit of debate.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 15-12-2022

Simon McCoy is angling for a comeback, if Popb!tch is to be believed:

Quote:After spending a year out in the cold, Simon McCoy has been seen back at the GB News studio, tail somewhat between legs, having had at least two meetings with the CEO about making a possible return.