Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 26-12-2022

(26-12-2022, 09:20 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(26-12-2022, 07:33 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  TalkTV have already got that sewn up - Murdoch has much deeper pockets than GBN will ever have.

Both Paul Marshall and Legatum are billionaires. Albeit not as rich as Murdoch who I have noticed has gone into partnership with Local TV. I hope that That's TV will do a partnership with GB News.

The (former Made In) Local TV network isn't on Sky anymore I understand?  If that's correct the value of airtime is greatly reduced, Going from high ish EPG on a major platform across a TV region/s to a just a higher EPG on a collection of small DTT transmitters.

So in Southern Britain,  its just Bristol rather than ITV West area. A tiny bit around Birmingham,  Liverpool but not Manchester etc.   No deal appears to be done for London Live; and That's TV has its own network to relay on the Locals,  so less incentive to sell the airtime.

It's doesn't exactly require deep pockets , it's not an impressive deal - but should have some benefits.

Worse for Talk TV, the Ofcom local content required for Local TV willl mean Jeremy Kyle or another high profile TV made show will have to be dropped on simulcast, but they will be paying extra for the lower quality Radio-on-tv stuff to air.

Odd thing about the deal is Local TV is linked to David Montgomery's National World the newspaper group,  so its surprising they are selling to News UK given what's reportedly the history between him and the group

For GB News,it might make more sense to put the well performing but not contentious  things like Breakfast in aquired airtime on other more major multichannels - given most run teleshoping at that time of day
[/quote]

Are there any channels who would do a deal with GB News that currently do teleshopping at the moment?

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 26-12-2022

Any channel outside of the BBC Studios/ITV/Channel 4 and possibly outside Paramount/5 would be a potential.

It's a bit more complex that swapping JML etc for GB News, as teleshopping is a commercial deal governed by BCap while taking editorial from another broadcaster has contractual issues of Ofcom liability to contend with. But it can and has been done, if you use the right broker.

The fact that GB News (TV Licence) has no Ofcom judgements againt it all all will assure the potential partner, and its better their airtime is usually sold by same house - So Sky Media in this case.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 27-12-2022

(26-12-2022, 11:57 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Any channel outside of the BBC Studios/ITV/Channel 4 and possibly outside Paramount/5 would be a potential.

It's a bit more complex that swapping JML etc for GB News,  as teleshopping is a commercial deal governed by BCap while taking editorial from another broadcaster has  contractual issues of Ofcom liability to contend with.  But it can and has been done, if you use the right broker.

The fact that GB News (TV Licence) has no Ofcom judgements againt it all all will assure the potential partner, and its better their airtime is usually sold by same house - So Sky Media in this case.

This is all mental onanism anyway. GB News is never going to buy airspace on other channels. They don't like spending more money than they have to. This is honestly one of the craziest ideas I've ever seen on these forums, and it all seems to stem from someone who worships GB News (don't know why cos it's awful).

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 27-12-2022

(27-12-2022, 12:24 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(26-12-2022, 11:57 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Any channel outside of the BBC Studios/ITV/Channel 4 and possibly outside Paramount/5 would be a potential.

It's a bit more complex that swapping JML etc for GB News,  as teleshopping is a commercial deal governed by BCap while taking editorial from another broadcaster has  contractual issues of Ofcom liability to contend with.  But it can and has been done, if you use the right broker.

This is all mental onanism anyway. GB News is never going to buy airspace on other channels. They don't like spending more money than they have to. This is honestly one of the craziest ideas I've ever seen on these forums, and it all seems to stem from someone who worships GB News (don't know why cos it's awful).

I dont know how in my THREE posts on this forum you can possible jump to the conclusion that GB News worship is happening.  Very odd thinking.  

For the record I have no view on GB News, or any of the identically Ofcom licenced non-psb News channels like SkyNews or Talk TV. Save for the fact I'm pleased we have robust evidence led independent media regulation in this country.

My point stems from the fact its rival Talk TV has made a move, and airtime buys are logical and common tactics.  It's fairly obvious that the former CBS Reality deal with Made/Local TV runs on a lower budget than both Talk TV and GB News and that was an airtime buy. They happen. 

Perhaps Kojak you'd care to tell us how much these off peak teleshopping slots for for typically? As you are so certain it's all so unaffordable and crazy?  You must know how the numbers and the supporting facts to be so certain, I'm sure.

Fascinated to hear you thoughts

RE: GB News - Kojak - 27-12-2022

(27-12-2022, 01:32 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(27-12-2022, 12:24 AM)Kojak Wrote:  This is all mental onanism anyway. GB News is never going to buy airspace on other channels. They don't like spending more money than they have to. This is honestly one of the craziest ideas I've ever seen on these forums, and it all seems to stem from someone who worships GB News (don't know why cos it's awful).

I dont know how in my THREE posts on this forum you can possible jump to the conclusion that GB News worship is happening.  Very odd thinking.  

For the record I have no view on GB News, or any of the identically Ofcom licenced non-psb News channels like SkyNews or Talk TV. Save for the fact I'm pleased we have robust evidence led independent media regulation in this country.

My point stems from the fact its rival Talk TV has made a move, and airtime buys are logical and common tactics.  It's fairly obvious that the former CBS Reality deal with Made/Local TV runs on a lower budget than both Talk TV and GB News and that was an airtime buy. They happen. 

Perhaps Kojak you'd care to tell us how much these off peak teleshopping slots for for typically? As you are so certain it's all so unaffordable and crazy?  You must know how the numbers and the supporting facts to be so certain, I'm sure.

Fascinated to hear you thoughts
When I said that, I wasn’t referring to you - rather someone else. Apologies if i gave you the wrong idea. I realise i was a bit tetchy last night and i am sorry. 

I don’t work in TV, so obviously don’t know any of the specifics wrt teleshopping slots. My point was that having observed GB News and how they (seem to) work, they seem much more interested in growing their audience via social media and YouTube. Indeed, I’m pretty sure Angelos (the CEO) has said himself that he sees GBN as a tech company first and a TV station second. He has previous as he ran Sky News Australia before coming here - a very 
 similar network to GBN - and they never did anything like buying teleshopping slots on other channels. It could certainly happen, I agree, but it seems highly unlikely. I don’t see why they would when they are already available on every platform.

No problem Kojak, thanks for the clarification it's appreciated.

I do work in TV so can say that typically a teleshopping 30 min slot (that's the unit the are sold) can range from £25-£150 depending on channel EPG positions, platforms, timeslot, inherited audience on channel, neighbourhood (is it near a major channel)

So it's very cheap to do, and channels want money at the end if the day.

You are right to look at the history of a manager so see tactics, but Australia media market Is nothing like UK - you can't launch independent stations on radio and TV the way we can here. The market is designed for old analogue licence holders to lock out new entrants, and pay TV operations to oniy take partnerships with who they choose.

In the UK Sky has to take 3rd party channels, Arqiva has to sell capacity of open market Freeview has to assign EPG numbers on demand. You can launch a TV and radio channel if you have a modest amount of cash. GB News (as a concept) could never have launched in Australia.

RE: GB News - cityprod - 27-12-2022

(27-12-2022, 12:13 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  No problem Kojak, thanks for the clarification it's appreciated.

I do work in TV so can say that typically a teleshopping 30 min slot  (that's the unit the are sold) can range from  £25-£150 depending on channel EPG positions, platforms, timeslot, inherited audience on channel, neighbourhood (is it near a major channel)

So it's very cheap to do, and channels want money  at the end if the day.

You are right to look at the history of a manager so see tactics, but Australia media market Is nothing like UK - you can't launch independent stations on radio and TV the way we can here. The market is designed for old analogue licence holders to lock out new entrants,  and pay TV operations to oniy take partnerships with who they choose.

In the UK Sky has to take 3rd party channels, Arqiva has to sell capacity of open market  Freeview has to assign EPG numbers on demand. You can launch a TV and radio channel if you have a modest amount of cash. GB News (as a concept) could never have launched in Australia.
So, taking your figures, and doing some ballpark calculations, Teleshopping slots can bring in somewhere between £50k-330k per year.  In an industry as expensive as television is, that's not a huge amount, and even the cheapest channel is still in the low 7 figures to programme.  Based on that low end calculation, I'm not sure teleshopping is worth it.

300k will cover your Sat capacity and Sky SSL EPG fee, so very much worth doing where your main audience is 5pm -11pm max (ie most channels)

We're talking value and income here, so selling airtime to another broadcaster AND keeping the teleshopping revenue in a different slot is very desirable. Every little helps.

I'm suggesting in reply to the Talk TV actions, GB News may want to push shows to encourage sampling. and push the established names in safe slots to counter reputation issues. Outside of the noise of prime time, breakfast and the 0930 politics do good numbers for very traditional content.

For those old enough to remember the 04-08 quiz show boom where lots of channels with far flung epgs for home bought airtime higher up guide to get players. I'm suggesting similar potential route for GB News here

RE: GB News - Pips2022 - 29-12-2022

Is Gloria only doing that one hour on Sundays now?

RE: GB News - Admin PC - 29-12-2022

A reminder of a forum rule:

"Political discussion is not permitted."

A number of recent posts have been removed.

There's a small minority of individuals who seem determined to bring politics into the discussion. If you want to have a political discussion, you're in the wrong place - take your opinions/rants elsewhere.