Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - benzj - 30-12-2022

(27-12-2022, 09:26 AM)Kojak Wrote:  I don’t work in TV, so obviously don’t know any of the specifics wrt teleshopping slots. My point was that having observed GB News and how they (seem to) work, they seem much more interested in growing their audience via social media and YouTube. Indeed, I’m pretty sure Angelos (the CEO) has said himself that he sees GBN as a tech company first and a TV station second. He has previous as he ran Sky News Australia before coming here - a very 
 similar network to GBN - and they never did anything like buying teleshopping slots on other channels. It could certainly happen, I agree, but it seems highly unlikely. I don’t see why they would when they are already available on every platform.

It's not necessarily the exact idea, but in 2018 Sky News Australia did make a deal with a "regional broadcaster" (essentially a major-network affiliate at this point) to launch a free-to-air version of Sky News (along with some programming from its corporate siblings) now branded as Sky News Regional. Given the previously-mentioned discussion about the nuances of the Australian television market, it's probably the closest to a paid-airtime deal that could reasonably be mustered (even though it's an entirely different contractual arrangement). 

While in theory such a deal is possible, given the sorts of timeslots teleshopping has usually been scheduled for on most channels that air it, it might not be worth looking into such a deal -- it's not the sort of vast legroom TalkTV will be getting on the local TV services, at least.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 31-12-2022

https://twitter.com/EamonnHolmes/status/1609290604197957633?t=gfp6XbgId2mdpSbWIh9NlA&s=19 

RE: GB News - derek500 - 01-01-2023

Ex Sky News/Sky Sports News sports presenter, Arron Armstrong, co-presenting Breakfast with Isabel Webster tomorrow.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 07:19 PM)derek500 Wrote:  Ex Sky News/Sky Sports News sports presenter, Arron Armstrong, co-presenting Breakfast with Isabel Webster tomorrow.

He's regular cover on LBC News as well.

RE: GB News - SteveRW - 03-01-2023

Is GB News still struggling to attract advertisers? I haven't watched it since the current PM became PM. I keep wondering how on earth it can survive.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 08:00 PM)SteveRW Wrote:  Is GB News still struggling to attract advertisers? I haven't watched it since the current PM became PM. I keep wondering how on earth it can survive.

It has a bedrock level of investment which is in the millions. That investment was set down when it launched in 2021. 

Ad revenue, I do not know, but until they have used up the initial investment money, they do not have to worry too much about ad revenue.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 03-01-2023

I think they are making money mainly on their social networking including TikTok and YouTube etc. They are also making money from radio advertising due to their rising number of listeners and some on google advertising. However, they are still very much relying on the investment to set up the channel along with the extra £60,000,000 from Paul Marshall and Legatum from months ago. I think the next two years is make or break for them.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 03-01-2023

It should be noted that TV news in the UK is not very profitable, unlike in the US, where news can bring in a handy profit to the likes of Fox News.

Sky News to this day is a loss making arm of Sky, but Comcast continue to fund it, as it is a pride for the Sky network, a showcase for them, which was the same situation when it was owned by Rupert Murdoch.

RE: GB News - cityprod - 03-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 08:59 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I think they are making money mainly on their social networking including TikTok and YouTube etc. They are also making money from radio advertising due to their rising number of listeners and some on google advertising. However, they are still very much relying on the investment to set up the channel along with the extra £60,000,000 from Paul Marshall and Legatum from months ago. I think the next two years is make or break for them.

They won't be making much money from TikTok.  TikTok pay notoriously low rates to their content creators.  They'll be getting a fair bit more from YouTube for sure.  There's probably more money coming in from the radio advertising than all their social media combined.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 04-01-2023

(03-01-2023, 10:19 PM)cityprod Wrote:  
(03-01-2023, 08:59 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I think they are making money mainly on their social networking including TikTok and YouTube etc. They are also making money from radio advertising due to their rising number of listeners and some on google advertising. However, they are still very much relying on the investment to set up the channel along with the extra £60,000,000 from Paul Marshall and Legatum from months ago. I think the next two years is make or break for them.

They won't be making much money from TikTok.  TikTok pay notoriously low rates to their content creators.  They'll be getting a fair bit more from YouTube for sure.  There's probably more money coming in from the radio advertising than all their social media combined.

I do wonder whether getting more listeners on their radio station would lead to more money coming in rather than just focus on getting a million viewers for their TV channel?