Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

Gibsy - Gibsy - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 04:47 PM)Krede Wrote:  https://order-order.com/2023/01/26/political-editor-runners-riders-gb-news/ 

UK’s second biggest dedicated news channel !! By what measure??

RE: GB News - Skygeek - 26-01-2023

I think to call oneself a "dedicated" news channel ought to involve actual news *coverage*.

Y'know... foreign bureaus and in-depth reporting as opposed to lengthy studio discussionss where everyone apart from one browbeaten leftie agrees with each other, before throwing to some tadpole of a reporter fresh out of uni on the end of a bad 4G connection standing next to a bloke with a sign saying "Keep Channel migrants out of our Northamptonshire village".

Oh, and that's having not bothered with even cursory news bulletins for the first several months. Definitely "dedicated".

RE: GB News - Dadeki - 26-01-2023

BBC News Reports

RE: GB News - eyeTV - 26-01-2023

Call me old fashioned but I REALLY dislike serving politicians presenting 'news shows'. Shouldn't they be like attending to more important matters of their constituents?

RE: GB News - Matrix - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 05:51 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Call me old fashioned but I REALLY dislike serving politicians presenting 'news shows'.  Shouldn't they be like attending to more important matters of their constituents?

There was a time, when I was starting out as a junior producer, when we used to get tetchy about the *family members* of serving politicians being allowed too near the airwaves without some form of balance check. I guess those editorial standards aren't exactly the worry of this channel though. 

Pulling it back to presentation, though, I do wonder if there will be any (any) variation of the current configuration to accommodate this new programme other than the usual corner of the set and a couple of talking heads pontificating into the void.

RE: GB News - Neil Jones - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 03:13 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(26-01-2023, 12:22 PM)Krede Wrote:  https://order-order.com/2023/01/26/jacob-rees-mogg-confirms-gb-news-show/ 
Maybe they could dress the studio to look less like a happy accident in PowerPoint and more of a Dickensian work house, that'd be on brand.

Half expecting a rendition of Food Glorious Food to be the title music and for Rees-Mogg to dress up as Mr Bumble.

RE: GB News - radiorebel - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 05:51 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Call me old fashioned but I REALLY dislike serving politicians presenting 'news shows'.  Shouldn't they be like attending to more important matters of their constituents?

Agree totally, GB News generally have improved massively from their launch. But I really wonder what their deal is with wanting to be taken more seriously and being focused“free speech”, “the people’s news channel” yet they just seem to be hiring Tory politicians as hosts very frequently?

Don’t get me wrong they do quite well when they have both sides on for a debate. But it just seems really disingenuous that they “Don’t want to become the British Fox News” but seem to hire exclusively right wing as of recent.

RE: GB News - JamesWorldNews - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 05:18 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  I think to call oneself a "dedicated" news channel ought to involve actual news *coverage*.

Y'know... foreign bureaus and in-depth reporting as opposed to lengthy studio discussionss where everyone apart from one browbeaten leftie agrees with each other, before throwing to some tadpole of a reporter fresh out of uni on the end of a bad 4G connection standing next to a bloke with a sign saying "Keep Channel migrants out of our Northamptonshire village".

Oh, and that's having not bothered with even cursory news bulletins for the first several months. Definitely "dedicated".

They’ve signed Jacob Rees Mogg. What could be more dedicated than that, Mr. Meldrew???

RE: GB News - i.h - 26-01-2023

You do have to wonder what the tipping point is for impartiality, given that they have almost exclusively signed up tory ex or current MPs. De Piero might be the only exception? (but they've also given time to her Tory successor!)

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 05:18 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  ....

News and current affairs talk has ALWAYS been reliant on talking head guests to fill the time when manufacturing content is required -  that's mostly when there's not a single major event.

Oniy difference now is you don't need studio bookings, DTL points or a camera crew  on someone's doorstep to get the visuals. 

It's hardly fair to describe the qualified graduate reporters in such a dismissive, disparaging and unprofessional way.

Staff at startups are younger.  Adam Boulton was 30ish at start of Sky News, Kay Burley 29 or so. With on screen reporters of similar age to the current GB News 'tadpoles' you describe.

Also, a lack of foreign news or presence isn't a sign of news legitimacy for a commercial news organisation. While I personally value international coverage (its my favourite parts of Sky News) Ofcom research has shown the wider public place a far lower priority on that content