Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Skygeek - 26-01-2023

I first appeared on-screen as a network reporter at the age of 27. I was very green and it showed. I too was a tadpole. I didn't mean it in a derogatory fashion, just that - much as it was with me - their green-ness is often apparent.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 26-01-2023

Would GB News ever partner with a big US broadcaster to help them with international news?

Talk TV of course owned by Murdoch has access to Fox News which they can use to their benefit.

BBC used to use ABC and Sky used to air CBS News.

I wonder if the best way for them to improve international news content would be to align with a partner, maybe Reuters?

RE: GB News - London Lite - 26-01-2023

The hiring of the next political ed will be important to show if they're serious about impartial news from Westminster or if they just want another talking head to give their opinion in addition to actual reporting.

Harwood for me would be the one who'd cement GB News as the channel for conservative skewed opinion if he got the job, but if they went for another impartial journalist, it'd go some way to continuing to provide accurate journalism for their target audience and talking heads to make up their own minds.

RE: GB News - AaronTV - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 05:18 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  I think to call oneself a "dedicated" news channel ought to involve actual news *coverage*.

Y'know... foreign bureaus and in-depth reporting as opposed to lengthy studio discussionss where everyone apart from one browbeaten leftie agrees with each other, before throwing to some tadpole of a reporter fresh out of uni on the end of a bad 4G connection standing next to a bloke with a sign saying "Keep Channel migrants out of our Northamptonshire village".

Oh, and that's having not bothered with even cursory news bulletins for the first several months. Definitely "dedicated".

Yet despite all of this the channel regularly outperforms Sky News in peak, on a fraction of the budget, technical expertise and infrastructure.

RE: GB News - Skygeek - 26-01-2023

I don't dispute that it beats Sky in some slots, but to describe it as the UK's "second-biggest dedicated news channel" is a stretch worthy of the Bolshoi ballet.

RE: GB News - Jon - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 05:18 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  I think to call oneself a "dedicated" news channel ought to involve actual news *coverage*.

Y'know... foreign bureaus and in-depth reporting as opposed to lengthy studio discussionss where everyone apart from one browbeaten leftie agrees with each other, before throwing to some tadpole of a reporter fresh out of uni on the end of a bad 4G connection standing next to a bloke with a sign saying "Keep Channel migrants out of our Northamptonshire village".

Oh, and that's having not bothered with even cursory news bulletins for the first several months. Definitely "dedicated".
First things first, whatever you think of signing up politicians to present or of Mr Rees-Mogg personally. I think it’s hard to argue that it isn’t a fantastic signing. Probably one of the few serving politicians with enough brand recognition to pull in additional viewers.  

With regards to your post I think a lot of it is unfair, it is objectively a news channel. It discusses and reports on news stories more or less all day. Whether you like the content or not isn’t really relevant, it’s trying to do something different to Sky or the BBC. And I say that as someone who largely isn’t a fan of the editorial agenda. 

I think criticisms of them not having news bulletins when it first started aren’t relevant to the the point either. And your dig about dodgy 4G connections, isn’t really fair as technically I’d no more expect to see technical errors on GB News than any of the other news channels. 

Don’t get me wrong, there is lots I wish they’d change about GB News and you’re not getting the quality of international journalism you get from Sky and the BBC but it simply isn’t correct to say it isn’t a dedicated news channel. And I’d also say it’s a lot more engaging than the output from the competition.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 26-01-2023

In regards to who I think will be the Political Editor, I think that will go to Christopher 'Chopper' Hope who I also believe will have his own programme as well.

As for Jacob Rees-Mogg, again it frustrates me that they are going for politicians to present their their programmes when there is clearly talent out there to go for especially the newspaper and podcast areas.

I'd rather they focussed on the content and also to be the first for breaking news ahead of their competitors.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 26-01-2023

I think we need to separate what both channels provide.

Sky News is a 24/7 rolling news channel with impartial reporting and analysis. Other such channels include BBC News, France 24, Al Jazeera English etc.

GB News is a newstalk channel with a mix of opinionated presenters, journalists and guests supplemented by short impartial news bulletins. TalkTV would be considered it's nearest rival in the UK, but also has contributions from radio listeners. Other such channels include Fox News and CNEWS.

RE: GB News - all new phil - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 10:01 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I'd rather they focussed on the content and also to be the first for breaking news ahead of their competitors.

But breaking news isn’t what they’re about, and they don’t have the resources for that ambition.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 05:51 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Call me old fashioned but I REALLY dislike serving politicians presenting 'news shows'.  Shouldn't they be like attending to more important matters of their constituents?
Totally agree.

I generally quite like GB News but I wish they wouldn’t do this. Quite apart from other considerations, serving politicians make poor presenters and are very obviously biased. It doesn’t work.

(26-01-2023, 10:20 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(26-01-2023, 10:01 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I'd rather they focussed on the content and also to be the first for breaking news ahead of their competitors.

But breaking news isn’t what they’re about, and they don’t have the resources for that ambition.
And in fairness they always said so.
That was why they initially didn’t have formal news bulletins, though I’m glad they changed their mind on those, they add structure and authority.

(26-01-2023, 07:47 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The hiring of the next political ed will be important to show if they're serious about impartial news from Westminster or if they just want another talking head to give their opinion in addition to actual reporting.

Harwood for me would be the one who'd cement GB News as the channel for conservative skewed opinion if he got the job, but if they went for another impartial journalist, it'd go some way to continuing to provide accurate journalism for their target audience and talking heads to make up their own minds.
I do like Tom Harwood but they need someone with a bit more stature at the moment, McCaffrey was great and they need someone of similar standing.