Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - all new phil - 26-01-2023

I suspect their Political Editor will be an external hire. Plenty of movement going on elsewhere. I actually quite like the suggestion of Matt Chorley - probably unlikely but he’d be great. Tom Newton-Dunn hasn’t been mentioned but he may be tempted to jump, and he’s of the right calibre.

RE: GB News - Jon - 26-01-2023

Tom Newton-Dunn would be a great call, his Talk TV gig can’t last for ever and he has some authority. That said he seems to be well respected by News UK so possible he’d be moved elsewhere in the company. But might be a move that interests him and a defection of talent from Talk TV to GB News would send out a signal.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 26-01-2023

I know Guido Fawkes mentioned Kate McCann as a possible replacement. Probably unlikely, but it would be a huge loss for TalkTV if she jumped ship.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 27-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 11:32 PM)Jon Wrote:  Tom Newton-Dunn would be a great call, his Talk TV gig can’t last for ever and he has some authority. That said he seems to be well respected by News UK so possible he’d be moved elsewhere in the company. But might be a move that interests him and a defection of talent from Talk TV to GB News would send out a signal.

I think his ratings would give any broadcaster pause for thought.  Low audience on an already low audience channel isn't going to send anyone rushing to hire him.  

That's not a judgement on his ability,  just any presenter TV or Radio,  National or Local  that underperformed their own station ratings is unlikely to find a promotion on another outlet 

65k tuned to Tom Harwood apparently on 24th at 0930-1000. I Don't think Newton-Dunn has gone above 12k any night in primetime,  Piers Morgans highest this week was around 40k.

Pound per viewer,  Tom Harwood looks like an absolute bargain.  

Probably too soon for Harwood to be Pol Ed, and with a likely Labour government within 2 years,  I agree with Guido Fawkes call..Gloria de Piero  ex GMTV and Labour MP might be good bet

RE: GB News - matthieu1221 - 27-01-2023

At the end of the day, does it even matter? The current viewers will likely not tune out if they get the 'wrong' person. The Tories will always like to be invited on, Labour not so much, unless it's someone externally with a lot of caliber, that won't change. Then again, do they want it to change? An internal promotion seems easiest.

RE: GB News - Independent - 27-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 06:58 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Would GB News ever partner with a big US broadcaster to help them with international news? 

Talk TV of course owned by Murdoch has access to Fox News which they can use to their benefit.

BBC used to use ABC and Sky used to air CBS News.

I wonder if the best way for them to improve international news content would be to align with a partner, maybe Reuters?
Unless I'm misremembering (and that could be the case) BBC never really needed ABC for their international coverage. The BBC's coverage of the US would have been excellent even without working with ABC. ABC's contributions were just early on-the-scene live reports while BBC teams were still making their way to US locations far from their US bureaus. The BBC had and still has one of the world's most extensive network of correspondents and bureaus for a broadcaster.

RE: GB News - Matrix - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 07:10 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(26-01-2023, 06:58 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Would GB News ever partner with a big US broadcaster to help them with international news? 

Talk TV of course owned by Murdoch has access to Fox News which they can use to their benefit.

BBC used to use ABC and Sky used to air CBS News.

I wonder if the best way for them to improve international news content would be to align with a partner, maybe Reuters?
Unless I'm misremembering (and that could be the case) BBC never really needed ABC for their international coverage. The BBC's coverage of the US would have been excellent even without working with ABC. ABC's contributions were just early on-the-scene live reports while BBC teams were still making their way to US locations far from their US bureaus. The BBC had and still has one of the world's most extensive network of correspondents and bureaus for a broadcaster.
The agreement with ABC was, as you say, much more based around the pooling of clips and archives - although ABC's World News Tonight did used to run out on News 24 for a period as well. 
The current arrangement between CBS and the BBC is very much an evolution of this, and includes the sharing of correspondents (with appropriate on-air references to each partner). 

As for the idea that GB News would need a partner, I thought the point of their outfit was that they weren't going to do International News. Their claim, and I've yet to see any real evidence of this, was that they'd hunt out stories from the nations and regions. That seems to have equated to sending a few press-packers to stand outside pubs in Powys, Wigan, or Hull and ask people for their opinion on the latest dog whistle. So: no, I can't see them partnering with a serious news broadcaster any time soon.

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 12:03 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(26-01-2023, 11:32 PM)Jon Wrote:  Tom Newton-Dunn would be a great call, his Talk TV gig can’t last for ever and he has some authority. That said he seems to be well respected by News UK so possible he’d be moved elsewhere in the company. But might be a move that interests him and a defection of talent from Talk TV to GB News would send out a signal.

I think his ratings would give any broadcaster pause for thought.  Low audience on an already low audience channel isn't going to send anyone rushing to hire him.  

That's not a judgement on his ability,  just any presenter TV or Radio,  National or Local  that underperformed their own station ratings is unlikely to find a promotion on another outlet 

65k tuned to Tom Harwood apparently on 24th at 0930-1000. I Don't think Newton-Dunn has gone above 12k any night in primetime,  Piers Morgans highest this week was around 40k.

Pound per viewer,  Tom Harwood looks like an absolute bargain.  

Probably too soon for Harwood to be Pol Ed, and with a likely Labour government within 2 years,  I agree with Guido Fawkes call..Gloria de Piero  ex GMTV and Labour MP might be good bet
I don't think Newton Dunn's TV ratings would have much bearing on his appointment as Political Editor. It's not like he'd have to have a permanent show and he's got a good track record as a journalist.

I do agree that Gloria De Piero would be my first choice though.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 27-01-2023

I like Tom Newton-Dunn and remain baffled as to why he rates so poorly on TalkTV. His original 7pm News show was excellent I thought.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 01:42 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I like Tom Newton-Dunn and remain baffled as to why he rates so poorly on TalkTV. His original 7pm News show was excellent I thought.

Problem is he is balanced and usually fair in his programme, and Talk TV viewers want opinions, like Piers Morgan or Jeremy Kyle.  Seems people do not go to Talk TV for fair and balanced news, they go for opinions.