Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Matrix - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 01:48 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(27-01-2023, 01:42 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I like Tom Newton-Dunn and remain baffled as to why he rates so poorly on TalkTV. His original 7pm News show was excellent I thought.

Problem is he is balanced and usually fair in his programme, and Talk TV viewers want opinions, like Piers Morgan or Jeremy Kyle.  Seems people do not go to Talk TV for fair and balanced news, they go for opinions.
Although, given the ratings, it seems they're not *that* drawn to opinions...

RE: GB News - London Lite - 27-01-2023

The people that enjoy TalkTV's output are listening via TalkRadio than making the effort to watch the tv channel.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 27-01-2023

It is interesting for me to look at GB News and Talk TV - I do wonder when will be the point where Rupert Murdoch decides that it is a waste of cash to continue Talk TV?

Does the low audience figures for both channels cause them to worry about the financial security and viability?

RE: GB News - matthieu1221 - 27-01-2023

Arguably all Murdoch needs to do is manage for TalkTV to outlast GBNews. Maybe that's his sole goal at this point? Clearly they aren't going to win in terms of ratings so maybe all they are attempting to do is outlast them financially?

RE: GB News - Globaltraffic24 - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 08:39 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Arguably all Murdoch needs to do is manage for TalkTV to outlast GBNews. Maybe that's his sole goal at this point? Clearly they aren't going to win in terms of ratings so maybe all they are attempting to do is outlast them financially?

This is exactly the strategy. Murdoch is well known for it. He did the same with BSB in the 80s (forcing them into a merger for financial survival), started a battle in the 90s with the newspaper ‘Today’ in the 90s and he’s now doing the same with GBNews. He also has a secret weapon this time - he’s the former boss and mentor to the man in charge at GBNews. My prediction? GBNews probably has about 10 months left. Put it this way, if a producer asks you to take part in any Christmas specials on GBeebies, I’d ask for payment upfront!

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 08:39 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Arguably all Murdoch needs to do is manage for TalkTV to outlast GBNews. Maybe that's his sole goal at this point? Clearly they aren't going to win in terms of ratings so maybe all they are attempting to do is outlast them financially?

It's widely speculated - even in popbitch - that the Murdoch family arnt particularly supportive of News UK as a whole. Hacking etc, Even Lachlan the current heir apparent.

Arguably all GB News need to do outlive 91 year old Rupert. I'd take that bet.

If GB gets its costs under control it could easily last a few years on current funding plan; it over hired to compensate for rough launch and doent use the cheapest suppliers for backend like playout, platform capacity etc

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 27-01-2023

What is currently the annual budget for GB News and Talk TV? Has it been revealed?

RE: GB News - London Lite - 28-01-2023

It's an old trick Murdoch used in the UK for his newspapers, although when Murdoch launched a free tabloid newspaper 'thelondonpaper' in 2006, the Daily Mail who used to own the London Evening Standard, started a spoiler title called London Lite to eat into their share and keep the viability of their paid Standard title.

'thelondonpaper' ceased publication in 2009 after gathering massive losses, which I think will be reproduced with TalkTV when the majority of their audience are listening via radio platforms than on tv.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 28-01-2023

(28-01-2023, 12:08 AM)London Lite Wrote:  It's an old trick Murdoch used in the UK for his newspapers, although when Murdoch launched a free tabloid newspaper 'thelondonpaper' in 2006, the Daily Mail who used to own the London Evening Standard, started a spoiler title called London Lite to eat into their share and keep the viability of their paid Standard title.

So that's where your username comes from...

RE: GB News - Luc - 28-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 01:48 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(27-01-2023, 01:42 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I like Tom Newton-Dunn and remain baffled as to why he rates so poorly on TalkTV. His original 7pm News show was excellent I thought.

Problem is he is balanced and usually fair in his programme, and Talk TV viewers want opinions, like Piers Morgan or Jeremy Kyle.  Seems people do not go to Talk TV for fair and balanced news, they go for opinions.

Not sure why it's baffling? He's OK but pretty ordinary and staid as a presenter, and the show doesn't offer anything new at all to the market. I always thought he was a massive News UK favourite but a read of Private Eye and he doesn't seem to be the nicest person in the world... so maybe once they decide this show isn't viable they'll take the opportunity to let him go.