Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Kojak - 28-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 10:24 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  
(27-01-2023, 08:39 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Arguably all Murdoch needs to do is manage for TalkTV to outlast GBNews. Maybe that's his sole goal at this point? Clearly they aren't going to win in terms of ratings so maybe all they are attempting to do is outlast them financially?

This is exactly the strategy. Murdoch is well known for it. He did the same with BSB in the 80s (forcing them into a merger for financial survival), started a battle in the 90s with the newspaper ‘Today’ in the 90s and he’s now doing the same with GBNews. He also has a secret weapon this time - he’s the former boss and mentor to the man in charge at GBNews. My prediction? GBNews probably has about 10 months left. Put it this way, if a producer asks you to take part in any Christmas specials on GBeebies, I’d ask for payment upfront!

Oh, I hope so! I know this sounds horrible but I really do detest that channel. Such an awful mix of has-beens and, well... idiots. 

It's such a shame, too, as there was so much potential there. SO much potential. It could have really challenged Sky and the BBC with lively news coverage and interesting discussions. But instead they chose the easy way forward, by pandering to far-right freaks.

If GBN does close, I will be sad for the people who lose their jobs - but I daresay most (if not all) of the good staff will, I'm sure, find work elsewhere very quickly.

Admin edit: comments removed that contravene our rules re political content and civilised commentary.

RE: GB News - Moz - 28-01-2023

(28-01-2023, 09:39 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(27-01-2023, 10:24 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  This is exactly the strategy. Murdoch is well known for it. He did the same with BSB in the 80s (forcing them into a merger for financial survival), started a battle in the 90s with the newspaper ‘Today’ in the 90s and he’s now doing the same with GBNews. He also has a secret weapon this time - he’s the former boss and mentor to the man in charge at GBNews. My prediction? GBNews probably has about 10 months left. Put it this way, if a producer asks you to take part in any Christmas specials on GBeebies, I’d ask for payment upfront!

Oh, I hope so! I know this sounds horrible but I really do detest that channel. Such an awful mix of has-beens and, well... idiots.

It's such a shame, too, as there was so much potential there. SO much potential. It could have really challenged Sky and the BBC with lively news coverage and interesting discussions. But instead they chose the easy way forward, by pandering to far-right freaks.

If GBN does close, I will be sad for the people who lose their jobs - but I daresay most (if not all) of the good staff will, I'm sure, find work elsewhere very quickly.

As someone who still struggles to get used to the idea of there being 5 channels on the television I’ve no time at all for GB News or Talk TV Live. I *just* about trust Sky News.

Do I hope it closes? Yes as I think it’s a friend for racists. Will it make much difference anyway? Probably not.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 28-01-2023

I'd like to think these channels are a fad like the quiz tv channels were in the noughties, but GB News especially has ideological backers who'll continue to fund the channel despite losses.

RE: GB News - Spencer - 28-01-2023

I actually think they missed a trick, and made a rod for their own back, by not employing presenters from a broader range of the political spectrum.

When you consider the highest rating talk radio discussion programme in the UK is James O’Brien on LBC, it seems clear that there’s an audience for opinion based programming from the left as well the right, and that both sides can comfortably co-exist on the same station.

Plus if you’re trying to gain an audience through getting people fired up on different topics, surely a broader range of opinions is going to help with this more than having lots of people agreeing with each other.

Employing a more balanced range of presenters would also give GB News more credibility and leave them less open to accusations of being simply a mouthpiece for what critics might refer to as ‘gammon’.

If they really wanted to push the envelope and show how radical they are, they should offer Owen Jones a show.  Big Grin

RE: GB News - London Lite - 28-01-2023

(28-01-2023, 10:49 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I actually think they missed a trick, and made a rod for their own back, by not employing presenters from a broader range of the political spectrum.

When you consider the highest rating talk radio discussion programme in the UK is James O’Brien on LBC, it seems clear that there’s an audience for opinion based programming from the left as well the right, and that both sides can comfortably co-exist on the same station.

Plus if you’re trying to gain an audience through getting people fired up on different topics, surely a broader range of opinions is going to help with this more than having lots of people agreeing with each other.

Employing a more balanced range of presenters would also give GB News more credibility and leave them less open to accusations of being simply a mouthpiece for what critics might refer to as ‘gammon’.

If they really wanted to push the envelope and show how radical they are, they should offer Owen Jones a show.  Big Grin

The trick with James O'Brien is that while he's communicating to a different section of LBC's audience, he manages to keep the audience from Nick Ferrari by winding them up at the same time (They don't like him, but they HAVE to listen to hear what he says next). That's how you pull in the numbers regardless of their political persuasion. This is why LBC isn't echo chamber broadcasting which these types of tv channels are targeting.

RE: GB News - Jon - 28-01-2023

Spencer, I totally agree with what you say. To be fair they are brining in John Cleese who’s towards the left on party politics although probably quite in tune with the rest of the channel on identity politics issues. Although in speech broadcasting it’s the easiest thing in the world to do right wing radio, you’ve basically just got to be angry about everything that seems slightly left wing.

Patrick Christys for example is just one that comes across as someone who lacks any authenticity when he’s talking about things.

What James O’Brien does is a lot harder to get right and still be engaging. But there is a reason why there is one James O’Brien but a dozen or so Dan Woottons or Mike Grahams.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 29-01-2023

Out of all the presenters on GB News listed on wikipedia, there are quite a few I would keep including:

Ellie Costello, Gloria De Piero, Stephen Dixon, Nigel Farage, Liam Halligan, Eamonn Holmes, Mark Longhurst, Neil Oliver, Michael Portillo, Alastair Stewart, Camilla Tominey, Isabel Webster and Dan Wootton.

That's (unlucky) 13 presenters that I would keep. I would agree that Dan Wootton is a shock-jock and a sensationalist but he does attract the viewers and listeners and that in itself is enough to keep him.

IMHO, GB News should incorporate a bit of LBC News in to the daytime just to make it more 'news-like' with breaking news and live events happening before concentrating their evening on opinion shows. They have the newsreaders, why not give them a chance?

RE: GB News - London Lite - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 12:23 AM)KrazyKei Wrote:  IMHO, GB News should incorporate a bit of LBC News in to the daytime just to make it more 'news-like' with breaking news and live events happening before concentrating their evening on opinion shows. They have the newsreaders, why not give them a chance?

Sky News Australia does this. Daytime output is as impartial as any of the mainstream bulletins, it's the opinion strand in prime-time that is similar to GB News.

RE: GB News - Admin PC - 29-01-2023

This thread just can't help turning political.

Some recent comments have been removed.

Political commentary - including remarks about the (perceived) political persuasions of presenters - are not welcome on this forum.

[font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Please keep things civil and on-topic.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Political discussion is not permitted.[/font][/font]

RE: GB News - Kojak - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 12:29 AM)Admin PC Wrote:  This thread just can't help turning political.

Some recent comments have been removed.

Political commentary - including remarks about the (perceived) political persuasions of presenters - are not welcome on this forum.

[font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Please keep things civil and on-topic.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Political discussion is not permitted.[/font][/font]

I’m sorry, but GB News is a VERY politically-charged channel. It was set up to promote certain viewpoints. What are we SUPPOSED to
talk about? The colour of the sets?!