Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 12:28 AM)London Lite Wrote:  
(29-01-2023, 12:23 AM)KrazyKei Wrote:  IMHO, GB News should incorporate a bit of LBC News in to the daytime just to make it more 'news-like' with breaking news and live events happening before concentrating their evening on opinion shows. They have the newsreaders, why not give them a chance?

Sky News Australia does this.  Daytime output is as impartial as any of the mainstream bulletins, it's the opinion strand in prime-time that is similar to GB News.

Which is interesting because Angelos Frangopoulos was CEO at Sky News Australia. Maybe he wanted to try something different with GB News.

RE: GB News - Admin PC - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 12:32 AM)Kojak Wrote:  I’m sorry, but GB News is a VERY politically-charged channel. It was set up to promote certain viewpoints. What are we SUPPOSED to talk about? The colour of the sets?!
When you registered with this forum, you signed up to our terms/conditions/rules. The rules about political discussion have been there from day one.

Ultimately, this is a presentation forum, with scope for more general discussion.

Whilst we recognise that it can be difficult to completely ignore the political character of channels such as GB News and Talk TV, there's a happy medium. Most posters manage to keep such references high-level/innocuous. Your earlier comments went well beyond that.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 29-01-2023

Mark Dolan is the worst host on GB News in my opinion - he can barely read an autocue, and at times it seems he doesn't know when the script is about to end. It looks like he doesn't write his own script.

And then with the rest of his show, he just comes across as fake. Whereas people like Dan Wootton have the skill to actually come across as they believe what they say.

Mark is simply the wrong hire. They brought him in from what was talkRADIO because he cut up a face mask live on air on his show. That is why GB News hired him. Not for any skill at presenting.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 12:32 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(29-01-2023, 12:29 AM)Admin PC Wrote:  This thread just can't help turning political.

Some recent comments have been removed.

Political commentary - including remarks about the (perceived) political persuasions of presenters - are not welcome on this forum.

[font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Please keep things civil and on-topic.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- Political discussion is not permitted.[/font][/font]

I’m sorry, but GB News is a VERY politically-charged channel. It was set up to promote certain viewpoints. What are we SUPPOSED to
talk about? The colour of the sets?!

People on the right (including me) would argue that the BBC is a politically-charged channel. The difference is that I am not interested in the BBC News or Sky News for that matter. I am only interested in GB News and TalkTV because I am a minority who would watch both of these channels now and again but get frustrated because as much as I want them to succeed, they do the same shows over and over again hence why I am on here arguing for a bit more variety.

RE: GB News - Luc - 29-01-2023

(28-01-2023, 10:49 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I actually think they missed a trick, and made a rod for their own back, by not employing presenters from a broader range of the political spectrum.

When you consider the highest rating talk radio discussion programme in the UK is James O’Brien on LBC, it seems clear that there’s an audience for opinion based programming from the left as well the right, and that both sides can comfortably co-exist on the same station.

Plus if you’re trying to gain an audience through getting people fired up on different topics, surely a broader range of opinions is going to help with this more than having lots of people agreeing with each other.

Employing a more balanced range of presenters would also give GB News more credibility and leave them less open to accusations of being simply a mouthpiece for what critics might refer to as ‘gammon’.

If they really wanted to push the envelope and show how radical they are, they should offer Owen Jones a show.  Big Grin
But they haven't missed a trick. That wasn't the point of the channel - it was set up to propagate one particular ideology - they'll have left wing voices on so their audience can shout at the TV, and they'll have news programming on so they don't alienate advertisers. Apologies if this breaks the rules mods - difficult to discuss this channel without touching on its motives!

If anything LBC have almost happened on James O'Brien's zeitgeist while he's taken advantage of the current political dysfunction (Boris, Brexit etc) - he wasn't hired as a leftwing voice. The fact they once had Jacob Rees Mogg, Nigel Farage, and Katie Hopkins on their airwaves shows this.

RE: GB News - Jon - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 01:12 PM)Luc Wrote:  
(28-01-2023, 10:49 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I actually think they missed a trick, and made a rod for their own back, by not employing presenters from a broader range of the political spectrum.

When you consider the highest rating talk radio discussion programme in the UK is James O’Brien on LBC, it seems clear that there’s an audience for opinion based programming from the left as well the right, and that both sides can comfortably co-exist on the same station.

Plus if you’re trying to gain an audience through getting people fired up on different topics, surely a broader range of opinions is going to help with this more than having lots of people agreeing with each other.

Employing a more balanced range of presenters would also give GB News more credibility and leave them less open to accusations of being simply a mouthpiece for what critics might refer to as ‘gammon’.

If they really wanted to push the envelope and show how radical they are, they should offer Owen Jones a show.  Big Grin
But they haven't missed a trick. That wasn't the point of the channel - it was set up to propagate one particular ideology - they'll have left wing voices on so their audience can shout at the TV, and they'll have news programming on so they don't alienate advertisers. Apologies if this breaks the rules mods - difficult to discuss this channel without touching on its motives!
I agree with this. But I think they also want credibility and to give the impression they’re fair. They love pointing out they have people from all sides on, after all. It would just appear to give them a bit of depth whilst still most pushing their agenda. 

It makes me laugh that they seem to be still running a trailer for the channels featuring Liz Truss saying “unlike the BBC, you actually get your facts right”, when you consider even the majority of those on the right must think she’s a bit of a joke now. 

Agree with you about James O’Brien too, in that he’s become known for probably happened almost by accident. But to be fair other changes they’ve made in the last few years means LBC feeIs likes political neutral entity now.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 29-01-2023

LBC feel like a neutral entity to you?

These are in main page this Sunday at LBC - the items the editorial team have chosen to highlight:

- Psychotherapist reveals cause of 'incompetent rage' in incels 'like Boris Johnson'

- James O'Brien: Brexit fallout warns rest of Europe against giving power to 'demagogues, racists and idiots'

Both stories from broadcast content. Both pretty extreme and biased and carried without much challenge or context

This highlights the problem - where content agreed with personal opinions it's "neutral" when it differs its biased and shouldn't be allowed.

The actual reality is GB News is a News/Talk broadcaster regulated by Ofcom. It has a position right of centre and funding from people alighned to that world view. It's easy to over dramatise the channel becouse it's a talk format as well as a news one - very common in the world right or left politically but we are unused to in UK.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 07:38 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  LBC feel like a neutral entity to you?

These are in main page this Sunday at LBC - the items the editorial team have chosen to highlight:

- Psychotherapist reveals cause of 'incompetent rage' in incels 'like Boris Johnson'

- James O'Brien: Brexit fallout warns rest of Europe against giving power to 'demagogues, racists and idiots'

Both stories from broadcast content. Both pretty extreme and biased and carried without much challenge or context

This highlights the problem - where content agreed with personal opinions it's "neutral" when it differs its biased and shouldn't be allowed.

The actual reality is GB News is a News/Talk broadcaster regulated by Ofcom. It has a position right of centre and funding from people alighned to that world view. It's easy to over dramatise the channel becouse it's a talk format as well as a news one - very common in the world right or left politically but we are unused to in UK.

LBC has never been neutral. It meets Ofcom rules by having a broad range of views throughout the day which meets the criteria.

The main difference between it and GB News is that it'll give more airtime to mainstream or left-of-centre viewpoints as much as those who believe in what GBN and TalkTV believe in. I'm sure LBC has give the trans debate airtime which GBN have also done.

Nick Ferrari for example has the ability to still give his viewpoint which may be right-of-centre and then listen, James O'Brien will dissect a guest or caller's viewpoint and then explain why they're wrong or right. On GBN, they have token left-wing guests who are used as battering rams for their more extreme interviewers like Dan Wootton.

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 07:45 PM)London Lite Wrote:  On GBN, they have token left-wing guests who are used as battering rams for their more extreme interviewers like Dan Wootton.
May I suggest that you give some of the other shows a try on GB News.

What you've said here is undeniably true for Dan Wootton's show, but on others (such as Breakfast, the majority of the daytime output and even Farage) it's not the case.

Fine, the presenters may not agree with the left-wing guests, but on a number of shows they are properly heard out and a sensible discussion takes place.

RE: GB News - Jon - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 07:45 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(29-01-2023, 07:38 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  LBC feel like a neutral entity to you?

Both stories from broadcast content. Both  pretty extreme and biased and carried without much challenge or context

The actual reality is GB News is a  News/Talk broadcaster regulated by Ofcom. It has a position right of centre and funding from people alighned to that world view.  It's easy to over dramatise the channel becouse it's a talk format as well as a news one - very common in the world right or left politically but we are unused to in UK.

LBC has never been neutral.  It meets Ofcom rules by having a broad range of views throughout the day which meets the criteria.
By LBC being neutral, I should clarify I meant the brand doesn’t feel as if it’s aligned to any particular political ideologies, rather than the presenters who all have their own. Whereas as GB News as a brand is obviously specifically targeting a particular audience.