Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Jon - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 05:13 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Nobody is suggesting you can't have mixed content. I'm suggesting that as soon as the broadcaster labels their output as News - which they are de facto doing by the name of the station - the viewer is entitled to expect it to be impartial and for Ofcom to regulate it as such.
I largely agree. I don’t think it has to be impartial we’re past that now, but I think it should be provide more balance than it does. But how do you even measure balance it’s all very subjective. You can get an arch-lefty in to balance someone on the right but they may hold similar opinions on identity politics. 

All the shows named by Stockland Hillman, aren’t billed as news programmes but you tend to know they’ll be equal billing to both sides of the argument. 

I don’t mind them having right wing panellists and presenters but it makes better TV if you make panels at least a 50:50 balance and en equal opportunity for both sides of a debate. To be fair to Talk TV they seem better at doing this than GB News and I don’t think that’s the reason it’s not doing very well!

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 10-02-2023

TalkTV big problem is that it doesn't know what it is - is it radio on television, television on radio, or both?

GB News at least knows it is a television news channel, no matter what you might think of it's political leaning and presentation style.

RE: GB News - Globaltraffic24 - 10-02-2023

Before you lads fall out, you’re both correct! There’s nothing wrong with the title News, but it does open the channel up to criticism of its opinionated stance. I actually believe this has been a headache for the bosses from day one which led to frustrating pre launch interviews with the hosts attempting to explain the concept of opinionated programming on a ‘news channel’. 

Normally when I read through this thread I see a lot of disagreement divided into the pro GB and anti GB camp but it’s been refreshing to see both sides agree that the station is in need of some improvement. 

I’m not target audience and I don’t watch the channel much at all, but it would be nice to see another outlet shine and provide an alternative to the established channels. The reality is that it won’t happen under everyone’s favourite Australian boss.  The moment it was announced Angelos was joining, I knew the whole operation was doomed. To put it bluntly - he’s a pound shop populist producer. His time at Sky News Australia was a disaster but he claimed it a success because he pulled the ratings from dashes to some semblance of an audience. His main failure is always a complete lack of strategy beyond shock and awe and a complete unwillingness to push the financiers further up the tree to spend some money. All the cash is spent on talent but nothing on set design, creative content and production teams. 

Where next for GBNews? I think we all know the answer to this and that’s what’s prompting us to talk about it now. I hold firm on the belief that it will be off the air before the end of 2023. The shift in social strategy (which looks like much of the stories are being farmed out to PA and other agencies) and the news coverage about budget pressures suggests the money has finally dried up.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 10-02-2023

And here we go again from GB News website, pure scare mongering = https://www.gbnews.uk/weather/heavy-snow-warning-eleven-inches-to-blanket-parts-of-britain-as-sudden-stratospheric-warming-forecast/440273 

And if anyone goes to the official Met Office website, they will see no weather warnings issued for the entire week, and no mention of this event which apparently is going to happen according to GB News.

It is this style of reporting which sickens me. GB News accused the BBC, ITV, Sky and others of scare mongering during the height of the pandemic, and now in 2023, they are at it.

RE: GB News - Clean Feed - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 05:37 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  And here we go again from GB News website, pure scare mongering = https://www.gbnews.uk/weather/heavy-snow-warning-eleven-inches-to-blanket-parts-of-britain-as-sudden-stratospheric-warming-forecast/440273 

And if anyone goes to the official Met Office website, they will see no weather warnings issued for the entire week, and no mention of this event which apparently is going to happen according to GB News.

It is this style of reporting which sickens me. GB News accused the BBC, ITV, Sky and others of scare mongering during the height of the pandemic, and now in 2023, they are at it.
Whilst the tabloids tend to overindulge in this type of thing, there is some credibility to the story - albeit it is by no means a certainty.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1623331340874571781 

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 10-02-2023

I'm far from pro or anti GB News or any UK broadcaster. We have judicial style evidence based regulation that stops Fox/msnbc extremes; but I will follow the logic of an argument and compare it to other evidence.

The channel is called GB News, not all shows are News. BBC NEWS Channel used to have Click, film reviews, dateline - none of which meet the definition of News. Sky used to have The Climate Show, Sportline,The Pledge, None of which would be classed as news by Ofcom (hence sport is sponsored!)

Ofcom have determined its not an issue so its bizarre there is any argument.

(10-02-2023, 05:32 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  ... 

I’m not target audience and I don’t watch the channel much at all, but it would be nice to see another outlet shine and provide an alternative to the established channels. The reality is that it won’t happen under everyone’s favourite Australian boss.  The moment it was announced Angelos was joining, I knew the whole operation was doomed. To put it bluntly - he’s a pound shop populist producer. His time at Sky News Australia was a disaster but he claimed it a success because he pulled the ratings from dashes to some semblance of an audience. His main failure is always a complete lack of strategy beyond shock and awe and a complete unwillingness to push the financiers further up the tree to spend some money. All the cash is spent on talent but nothing on set design, creative content and production teams. 

Where next for GBNews? I think we all know the answer to this and that’s what’s prompting us to talk about it now. I hold firm on the belief that it will be off the air before the end of 2023. The shift in social strategy (which looks like much of the stories are being farmed out to PA and other agencies) and the news coverage about budget pressures suggests the money has finally dried up.
 Very much the view I hear where I work.  GBN threw money around to try and recover from its poor launch . Its workflows and staffing are very (new) traditional and its imported some bad ideas from old TV newsrooms, executing them without much in way of  craft skills in production.

It's paralysed by the launch issues so reluctant to try  significantly new things In case they "break" the channel.  I've heard of some bizarre unnecessary routines in production that are treated almost as superstition. Just get someone in to retemplate the automation ffs. That's why what we see is generally very basic and similar. Despite hiring many competent freelance directors, its not their job to fix wider issues.

End result is the excess costs of production,  expensive 3rd party supplier choices, very low revenue. 

Most the industry spotted the CEOs  email on staffing is a rip off of old BBC memos about duplication between shows etc; rather than a meaningful attempt to understand how his channels actually produced and what its audience actually want.

The big risk for them is to come: It may NOT be the only News/Talk channel in UK. TalkTV would probably be long gone, but it's a fact that other operators are looking at the UK.

Just because News UK failed with talk, and GBN is underperforming doesn't exclude others - News Group etc have a reputation they're incapable of successful new launches (too big, too corporate)  GBN is viewed as a vanity project which made odd business choices (not rare, startups fail all the time) This isn't speculation,  the media business I work with operates in this area; and (I've checked) I'm not spilling secrets - the Ad sales houses and big agencies (and others) have met with a number of parties so it is a known possibility. What hepelnd next is a mix of economy and politics that will determine if the UK is a viable market, French style.

That's enough GBNEWS for me

RE: GB News - London Lite - 10-02-2023

I don't have an issue with someone in a presenter only role giving an opinion. It's what Wootton does on GBN and Julia Hartley-Brewer on Talk TV. It's a role that is separate that really doesn't involve an impartial element as they're preaching to the converted when they're interviewing news makers.

It's those roles that Harwood and Utley have which clouds over whether they're providing their audience factual impartial reporting or their own personal opinion on top of it.

There are clearly roles at GBN such as the bulletin readers and those reporters in the field who are providing impartial reporting without giving an opinion, but do those roles where for example Olivia will be a guest on an opinion show where she's then in the role of giving her personal opinion about a story she's covered than actually stating facts.

(10-02-2023, 06:48 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I
There are clearly roles at GBN such as the bulletin readers and those reporters in the field who are providing impartial reporting without giving an opinion, but do those roles where for example Olivia will be a guest on an opinion show where she's then in the role of giving her personal opinion about a story she's covered than actually stating facts.

Doing news programming and the  entertainment and opinion shows on the same channel?   Like Charlene White on loose woman and Tom Bradby Spare book interview with Prince Harry? Neither are News programming

RE: GB News - Kojak - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 06:04 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  I'm far from pro or anti GB News or any UK broadcaster.  We have judicial style evidence based regulation that stops Fox/msnbc extremes; but I will follow the logic of an argument and compare it to other evidence.

The channel is called GB News, not all shows are News. BBC NEWS Channel used to have Click,  film reviews, dateline - none of which meet the definition of News. Sky used to have The Climate Show, Sportline,The Pledge, None of which would be classed as news by Ofcom (hence sport is sponsored!)

Ofcom have determined its not an issue so its bizarre there is any argument.

You're right. If you want to go one further, the ITV News channel used to show football matches, for crying out loud! And Sky News once showed a live Prince concert. We're not like Canada, which used to have very strict conditions on what a channel could and couldn't show, depending on how it was licenced.