Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - London Lite - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 05:42 PM)James Wrote:  
(11-02-2023, 01:50 PM)London Lite Wrote:  You don't hear Charlene on ITV News giving her opinion on a news story during that programme, while Olivia will one minute provide factual information and then her opinion afterwards.  That's where the the issue of her role blurs.
This is no different to GMB in the Piers era. The show would start with a highly opinionated Piers rant, often lasting up to 10 minutes, with the background sometimes absolutely plastered in ITV News branding. Immediately after the rant was over, he would read the day's top news story in an impartial manner with Susanna.

It's strange how the monologues and opinion content on GB News is so highly criticised on this forum, when GMB were doing very similar just a few years ago. I wasn't a fan of Piers on GMB towards the end, but this style of content worked well for the programme in terms of ratings, and received far less criticism than GB News.

Piers was never an impartial journalist, he was hired to be a gob on a stick on a topical entertainment programme and did that job well as a presenter. The two GBN journalists were hired to be political correspondents which in most broadcast media outlets would be expected to be impartial.

However Harwood and Utley both came from outlets that allowed them to publish opinion pieces previously.

RE: GB News - James - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 05:46 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Piers was never an impartial journalist, he was hired to be a gob on a stick on a topical entertainment programme and did that job well as a presenter.  The two GBN journalists were hired to be political correspondents which in most broadcast media outlets would be expected to be impartial.

However Harwood and Utley both came from outlets that allowed them to publish opinion pieces previously.

It doesn't matter what he was hired for. He was still switching between presenting news and opinion pieces at the drop of a hat. Same as what you're accusing Harwood and Utley of.

You criticise GB News for being called GB *NEWS*, but the GMB studio features ITV News branding prominently, and uses a very similar graphics package. Most people would assume that it was an ITV News programme - the fact that ITN received many complaints about GMB during the Piers era proves this.

I'm not even a regular viewer of GB News. I do think there are many ways it could be improved. I just can't understand the constant criticism of it, and the double-standards applied.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 11-02-2023

The news bulletins on GB News partly came in as a result of demand. I was fully in favour of them, the channel felt odd without them.

I don’t think the audience is under any illusion about the fact that outside of the formal bulletins, a lot of the output is opinion-led. I don’t see it a big problem. I wish they would have a few presenters with alternative “left leaning” opinions. I’m no leftie but I want to hear more than one “side”. I also with they’d stop using MPs as presenters, but this is about to get worse with Rees-Mogg getting a show.

Overall though I enjoy the channel. Just not every minute of its output, and I wouldn’t expect to. I do watch other news channels and enjoy their output as well.

(11-02-2023, 06:02 PM)James Wrote:  
(11-02-2023, 05:46 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Piers was never an impartial journalist, he was hired to be a gob on a stick on a topical entertainment programme and did that job well as a presenter.  The two GBN journalists were hired to be political correspondents which in most broadcast media outlets would be expected to be impartial.

It doesn't matter what he was hired for. He was still switching between presenting news and opinion pieces at the drop of a hat. Same as what you're accusing Harwood and Utley of.

You criticise GB News for being called GB *NEWS*, but the GMB studio features ITV News branding prominently, and uses a very similar graphics package. Most people would assume that it was an ITV News programme - the fact that ITN received many complaints about GMB during the Piers era proves this.

I was counteracting Stockland's argument that GBN and GMB are entertainment programmes rather than impartial news programmes.

Viewers don't watch GBN or GMB for rolling news, it's a diet of tabloid speech output although GMB has become more moderate since Piers left.  

Even GMB has impartial reporters who don't give their opinion when they're reporting from Westminster, yet GBN continues to blur that border between impartial reporting and opinion.   It's a bad precedent that GBN continues to do that and erodes what is great about British impartial broadcasting, even on a tabloid outlet.

(11-02-2023, 06:05 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  The news bulletins on GB News partly came in as a result of demand. I was fully in favour of them, the channel felt odd without them.

I don’t think the audience is under any illusion about the fact that outside of the formal bulletins, a lot of the output is opinion-led. I don’t see it a big problem. I wish they would have a few presenters with alternative “left leaning” opinions. I’m no leftie but I want to hear more than one “side”. I also with they’d stop using MPs as presenters, but this is about to get worse with Rees-Mogg getting a show.

Overall though I enjoy the channel. Just not every minute of its output, and I wouldn’t expect to. I do watch other news channels and enjoy their output as well.

Talk TV is much better at booking left-leaning talking heads, even Jeremy Kyle's so-called "Showdown" feature is largely civilised and the bookings of the left/right seem to pair well. (Mike Graham paired with Ava Santina from Politics JOE is entertaining) Sky News used to be like that with the Press Preview when they'd get in Prof. Kate Williams and Alex Deane who were brilliant together, same for Andrew Pierce and Kevin McGuire who became the double act for opposing opinion with a dash of humour.

I don't think anyone here regardless of their personal opinion is of the opinion now that GB News is a straight forward news channel and will never be, but they've stretched what is considered to be the line between having impartial correspondents and talking heads during their opinion shows.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 05:36 PM)London Lite Wrote:    

Good Morning Britain again is clear about what it is, it's a tabloid skewed current affairs programme, same for This Morning.  GB News hasn't ever made it clear that it's an entertainment channel which bar the Andrew Doyle show is a diet of skewed topical debate on a wheel of topics designed to wind up their target audience with tick box impartial news bulletins which weren't there at launch.

I don't think it's a problem to raise the fact that two of GBN's on-air talent have newsy roles and yet use their role to be talking heads

If only we had an evidence based impartial regulator of such things to decide. Oh, we do and they have.

ITV themselves categorise GMB as News, This Morning is categorised as Factual on ITVX.  As has been said,  the Piers era GMB was as skewed and opinion based as GB News

RE: GB News - thomalex - 11-02-2023

So it seems Cleese’s show will be called “The Dinosaur Hour”

(11-02-2023, 03:15 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(11-02-2023, 01:50 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The big difference between a previous poster saying that Charlene White, an impartial journalist presenting Loose Women and the two GB News journalists is that the roles on ITV News and Loose are completely different. 

You don't hear Charlene on ITV News giving her opinion on a news story during that programme, while Olivia will one minute provide factual information and then her opinion afterwards.  That's where the the issue of her role blurs.

------

By all means hire journalists, but use them on-air as journalists or talking heads, but not both.

Once again, nobody doing news programing  as defined by Ofcom is giving opinions in the same news programing.

Outside of the ToH NEWS bulletins GB News content is entertainment,  not NEWS according to Ofcom

Mixing news and opinion happens all the time at ITV GMB, more so when Piers was there.  Every guest and reporter taking part in discussions before or after a Piers rant or interviewed by him as a starting point for an opinion segment is doing so as part of an ENTERTAINMENT show.

Piers Morgan is a journalist,  and would do what anyone would consider journalistic content on news topics, particularly on major news days. He'd deliver the script with news material in and do news interviews,  then pivot to opinion pieces or vice versa.

All the shows on GB News are the same as GMB from a regulatory perspective - ENTERTAINMENT with integrated (but demarcated) News bulletins. If anything,  GB News is better separated on air than ITV GMB

(11-02-2023, 06:39 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(11-02-2023, 05:36 PM)London Lite Wrote:    

Good Morning Britain again is clear about what it is, it's a tabloid skewed current affairs programme, same for This Morning.  GB News hasn't ever made it clear that it's an entertainment channel which bar the Andrew Doyle show is a diet of skewed topical debate on a wheel of topics designed to wind up their target audience with tick box impartial news bulletins which weren't there at launch.

I don't think it's a problem to raise the fact that two of GBN's on-air talent have newsy roles and yet use their role to be talking heads

If only we had an evidence based impartial regulator of such things to decide. Oh, we do and they have.

ITV themselves categorise GMB as News, This Morning is categorised as Factual on ITVX.  As has been said,  the Piers era GMB was as skewed and opinion based as GB News

You previously mentioned as part of your argument that GMB is entertainment. Make your mind up, it's either a news programme or infotainment.

If GB News is entertainment, why isn't it in the Entertainment part of the EPG instead of being in the news section?

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 07:47 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(11-02-2023, 03:15 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Once again, nobody doing news programing  as defined by Ofcom is giving opinions in the same news programing.

Outside of the ToH NEWS bulletins GB News content is entertainment,  not NEWS according to Ofcom

Mixing news and opinion happens all the time at ITV GMB, more so when Piers was there.  Every guest and reporter taking part in discussions before or after a Piers rant or interviewed by him as a starting point for an opinion segment is doing so as part of an ENTERTAINMENT show.

Piers Morgan is a journalist,  and would do what anyone would consider journalistic content on news topics, particularly on major news days. He'd deliver the script with news material in and do news interviews,  then pivot to opinion pieces or vice versa.

All the shows on GB News are the same as GMB from a regulatory perspective - ENTERTAINMENT with integrated (but demarcated) News bulletins. If anything,  GB News is better separated on air than ITV GMB

(11-02-2023, 06:39 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  If only we had an evidence based impartial regulator of such things to decide. Oh, we do and they have.

You previously mentioned as part of your argument that GMB is entertainment.  Make your mind up, it's either a news programme or infotainment. 

If GB News is entertainment, why isn't it in the Entertainment part of the EPG instead of being in the news section?
You argued GMB was same as This Morning etc and everyone understands that.  I'm simply pointing out that's not how ITV themselves view it.

Please don't invent fictional arguments I'm not making just to try and prove a point.

As for the EPG category fuss, that's a platform operator choice. Hence Freeview treat shopping channels differently to Sky even though they are a different Licence class

For Sky, they state "A channel will be allocated a channel number in the News genre if its programming is
predominantly news and/or current affairs."

An all the time channel with GMB content would likely get a News listing on Sky, which ITV would concur as that how they tag it on own ITVX services. It's Ofcom licence class would be General

RE: GB News - Spencer - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 07:35 PM)thomalex Wrote:  So it seems Cleese’s show will be called “The Dinosaur Hour”
Just to confirm, this isn’t the Fawlty Towers reboot?