Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - SteveRW - 12-02-2023

(08-02-2023, 09:38 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I don't usually look at the GB News website, as the quality is appalling. But I have noticed a common trait they seem to indulge in now, weather predictions of disaster weather to hit soon.

Just checked today, and they have this weather prediction about the polar vortex.

This is pure scaremongering (something GB News accuses BBC, ITV and Sky of during the pandemic) and has a very Daily Mail and Daily Express type of scare story about the weather.

When you check the Met Office website, we have two yellow warnings for snow and ice in Scotland, and nothing else for the rest of this week. Also reading the official Met Office long range forecast, it has no sign of any warning of massive weather changes.

What is GB News up to?

https://www.gbnews.uk/weather/met-office-announces-a-major-sudden-stratospheric-warming-event-is-now-underway-which-will-displace-the-polar-vortex-uk-facing-copious-amounts-of-snow/438257 

The BBC long range forecast is predicting the Polar activity in March. It isn't yet speculating as to how bad it will be, but after a mild february, the monthly forecast now says much colder in March.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 15-02-2023

Just look at this article on GB News, again scare mongering at it's worse

https://www.gbnews.uk/weather/uk-weather-forecast-stratospheric-polar-vortex-set-to-smash-britain-with-heavy-snow-in-freezing-blast/442233 

And then, go into the article, and see that there is nothing to be scared of, as GB News cover their arse with the sentence = "Temperatures expected to be mostly around average, but a period of colder or much colder temperatures remains a small possibility and could bring spells of wintry weather." - which is not what the headline of the story was saying.

This type of "journalism" is what I find disgraceful, no matter what side of the political spectrum you are on.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 15-02-2023

I don’t know why you’re so surprised. It’s GB News, after all. Their whole thing seems to be “copy the Express in every which way”.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 01:31 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I don’t know why you’re so surprised. It’s GB News, after all. Their whole thing seems to be “copy the Express in every which way”.

Yes, I know. I am old enough to see these old tricks, it's just annoys me when I see it

RE: GB News - gottago - 15-02-2023

By simply linking to the article you're doing their job for them: gaining more hits, getting them more money in ad sales, persuading them to double down on this type of shoddy journalism. Don't link to it if you don't like it.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 01:31 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I don’t know why you’re so surprised. It’s GB News, after all. Their whole thing seems to be “copy the Express in every which way”.
The current GBNews Web content is a terrible strategy.

But why just link it to the Express?  Is pretty common clickbait,  more so at every Reach PLC site including the left wing Mirror. 

And just checking,  BBC Newsbeat are STILL pushing the Kardashian Vaginal Health Gummies story on its main page, apparently the 11th most important content thing it needs to spend some of its £5 billion pounds on as a public service for Britain

RE: GB News - Kojak - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 04:13 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
The current GBNews Web content is a terrible strategy.

But why just link it to the Express?  Is pretty common clickbait,  more so at every Reach PLC site including the left wing Mirror. 

And just checking,  BBC Newsbeat are STILL pushing the Kardashian Vaginal Health Gummies story on its main page, apparently the 11th most important content thing it needs to spend some of its £5 billion pounds on as a public service for Britain

The reason I always use the Express as an example is because a) they have VERY similar editorial stances and b) the copy style is EXACTLY the SAME (see what I DID there?). I don’t think it’s a coincidence that GBN’s editorial director (Mick Booker) was previously editor of the Sunday Express. And yes, Newsbeat is an embarrassment, but not sure how that’s relevant to GB News.

RE: GB News - MFTJA - 15-02-2023

GB News is a very informative and credible news source.

[Image: C94B3949-14AC-494E-A423-91B2C553A932.jpeg]

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 06:38 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  GB News is a very informative and credible news source.

[Image: C94B3949-14AC-494E-A423-91B2C553A932.jpeg]
Reported worldwide,  including in the UK by The Times .

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/binary-terms-male-and-female-should-be-banned-say-scientists-5lwjjsw22 

Yes it's clickbait,  as 95% of online news is. Not an exclusive GB News problem 

Regardless of the presentation of the topic,  the facts or pretty much correct in the story.

Can't find a reference to the story in GB News onair content, so can't comment on how it was handled on screen

RE: GB News - MFTJA - 15-02-2023

Those two headlines are practically incomparable. Yes, The Times make reference to “egg-producing” people in their article, but GB News put it at the forefront in a desperate, attention grabbing way.

It’s that sort of reporting that make GBN loose all credibility. They find some of the most minor “issues” to report on that create outrage amongst some of their audience. This sort of headline might make an entertaining Tweet, but surely they don’t/can’t spend an awful lot of time discussing things like this on TV. Are they able to produce hours of content discussing minor things like this? I know they did in the early days (remember Andrew Neil’s “Woke Watch”?) They’ve had many format changes since then, so do they still report on these “gripping issues”?