Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Jon - 15-02-2023

As much as I hate the use of term Woke as a pejorative, I think the GB News headline actually is the more informative. Highlighting it’s not a consensus in the scientific community that this should happen which you could believe from just reading The Times headline. Haven’t read the articles though.

Because it’s not really really News and obviously isn’t something that’s going to become widespread.

(15-02-2023, 03:49 PM)gottago Wrote:  By simply linking to the article you're doing their job for them: gaining more hits, getting them more money in ad sales, persuading them to double down on this type of shoddy journalism. Don't link to it if you don't like it.
Well as the poster in question is just repeating themselves I’d agree. However I’d argue sharing of such an article if it’s relevant to the discussion on a TV pres website isn’t going to single-handedly keep them in business.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 07:08 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  Those two headlines are practically incomparable. Yes, The Times make reference to “egg-producing” people in their article, but GB News put it at the forefront in a desperate, attention grabbing way.

It’s that sort of reporting that make GBN loose all credibility. They find some of the most minor “issues” to report on that create outrage amongst some of their audience. This sort of headline might make an entertaining Tweet, but surely they don’t/can’t spend an awful lot of time discussing things like this on TV. Are they able to produce hours of content discussing minor things like this? I know they did in the early days (remember Andrew Neil’s “Woke Watch”?) They’ve had many format changes since then, so do they still report on these “gripping issues”?
As I've been clear, the media transcript service we use at work doesn't show this story was broadcast in news bulletins and fuzzy language search gives a short newspaper review segment.

Not discussed at length, Not featured to "create outrage" at any length,  No discussions on the actual topic (just a paper review) no talking heads treating it as News, 

Maximum 4 mins of content (at a guess from the text length) No "hours of content" 

[I can see from media monitoring everything said on BBC network TV news , ITV News, Sky,  C4,C5, CNN, Talk, GB, AJ, France 24, but it can miss some segments; we dont pay for video monitoring logs]

Most of GBN is pretty much what This Morning,  Vine, GMB did 2015 -2020] 

I'm not a huge fan of the channel,  but  am a fan of facts over fiction

RE: GB News - London Lite - 15-02-2023

It's safe to say culture wars still features heavily on GB News and Talk TV, so of course GBN will take a different editorial angle on that story compared to The Times.

RE: GB News - steve - 15-02-2023

Couple of bits of context on the web strategy - Geoff Marsh, who was Reach editorial director (home of many clickbait stories) and who built Express.co.uk was appointed to lead GB News’ digital efforts in November.

While, Michael Booker - who was Sunday Express editor - is GB News’ Editorial Director.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:08 PM)steve Wrote:  Couple of bits of context on the web strategy - Geoff Marsh, who was Reach editorial director (home of many clickbait stories) and who built Express.co.uk was appointed to lead GB News’ digital efforts in November.

While, Michael Booker - who was Sunday Express editor - is GB News’ Editorial Director.

That explains everything. Thinking about it, it was around November last year when the headlines SUDDENLY became CAPITALISED every OTHER word, just like the Express website.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 21-02-2023

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1627929866086633474?t=jEdaevEaEEpVz3vqaQyapA&s=19 

RE: GB News - Stooky Bill - 21-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:08 PM)steve Wrote:  Couple of bits of context on the web strategy - Geoff Marsh, who was Reach editorial director (home of many clickbait stories) and who built Express.co.uk was appointed to lead GB News’ digital efforts in November.
Have the management at GB News never been to a Reach website? Some of the actual content isn't too bad, if you can see it through all the junk.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 21-02-2023

Interesting move from GB News to hire a journalist who doesn't work for an impartial outlet, compared to Darren McCaffrey who was at Euronews.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 01:33 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Interesting move from GB News to hire a journalist who doesn't work for an impartial outlet, compared to Darren McCaffrey who was at Euronews.

It’s obvious they’re now going for the full red meat. What little semblance of impartiality they had seems to be dropping away by the day. If this fails (and I suspect it will) then I reckon it might well be curtains for GB News.

RE: GB News - Skygeek - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 01:38 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 01:33 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Interesting move from GB News to hire a journalist who doesn't work for an impartial outlet, compared to Darren McCaffrey who was at Euronews.

It’s obvious they’re now going for the full red meat. What little semblance of impartiality they had seems to be dropping away by the day. If this fails (and I suspect it will) then I reckon it might well be curtains for GB News.

As vociferous as I've been in my criticism of GB News earlier in this thread, this feels like an over-reach. Yes, Chris comes from a particular point-of-view, but he's also a very good shoe-leather political journalist. I've worked with him quite extensively and find his analysis measured even if one disagrees with it. 

"Going full red-meat" would be launching a purportedly-impartial, straight nightly news bulletin presented by the "Coast" bloke. Let's try to keep a sense of perspective.