Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - derek500 - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 01:33 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Interesting move from GB News to hire a journalist who doesn't work for an impartial outlet, compared to Darren McCaffrey who was at Euronews.

What impartial outlets are there to hire from?

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 01:33 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Interesting move from GB News to hire a journalist who doesn't work for an impartial outlet, compared to Darren McCaffrey who was at Euronews.

Beth Rigby came from The Times, Faisel Islam The Observer

None of them more or less impartial than the Telegraph 

It's preposterous to consider it an issue

RE: GB News - Kojak - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 01:59 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  

Beth Rigby came from The Times, Faisel Islam The Observer

I don't think it's so much that Chopper has come from the Telegraph. As you say most TV pol eds have newspaper backgrounds. I think any such issue is much more to do with how he tends to wear his views (very, very pro-Boris Johnson) on his sleeve. If he can leave that to one side then it won't be a problem. If Max/Skygeek, who has worked with him, says he's a good egg, then I'll defer to his judgement.

On a much more interesting note, I found this tidbit buried in the GBN article about his hiring:

Quote:[color=#393f56][font=Roboto]Jacob Rees-Mogg launches his nightly show at 8pm next Monday 27th.[/font][/color]

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 21-02-2023

It will be interesting to see what happens to Darren McCaffrey when 'Chopper' starts his role.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 21-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 08:00 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  It will be interesting to see what happens to Darren McCaffrey when 'Chopper' starts his role.

Darren is leaving GBN altogether. 

https://order-order.com/2023/01/26/political-editor-runners-riders-gb-news/ 

RE: GB News - Matrix - 22-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 02:08 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 01:59 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Beth Rigby came from The Times, Faisel Islam The Observer

I don't think it's so much that Chopper has come from the Telegraph. As you say most TV pol eds have newspaper backgrounds. I think any such issue is much more to do with how he tends to wear his views (very, very pro-Boris Johnson) on his sleeve. If he can leave that to one side then it won't be a problem. If Max/Skygeek, who has worked with him, says he's a good egg, then I'll defer to his judgement.

On a much more interesting note, I found this tidbit buried in the GBN article about his hiring:

Quote:[color=#393f56][font=Roboto]Jacob Rees-Mogg launches his nightly show at 8pm next Monday 27th.[/font][/color]
One observation worth throwing into the mix: whilst, indeed, the likes of Rigby and Islam (and--for that matter--Peston) all had early days in print journalism, it is worth baring in mind the difference in medium. On the face of it, a statement as plain as day, but some of us have memories of Peston's early days at the Beeb after his move. It took (takes) time to adjust, often with the able assistance of some very patient producers who get to know and think through how best to use a correspondent. 

As for Chopper himself, I would say that some adjustment might be needed to being a balanced reporter but I suspect this isn't the channel's number one concern. 

As for Rees-Mogg, there's generally a reason politicians like him, Dorries et al end up on backwater echo-chambers: their political currency is bust. Again, another painful process of adjusting to a new medium which will take time. One rather suspects that the GB News producers won't be terribly bothered with captioning someone as Esq. Let's see how that goes with the presenter...

RE: GB News - Kojak - 26-02-2023

Jacob Rees-Mogg's State of the Nation starts tomorrow night at 8pm. Tune in! (Or don't...) Laurence Fox is moving to Fridays at 7pm.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 26-02-2023

My guess is Mr Mogg will get a big audience (well big for GB News that is) on his first night, for the right wingers to watch and see what his style is like on TV, the crucial point will be Tuesday to Thursday, and see how quick the audience drops off, as they did for Piers on Talk TV.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 26-02-2023

I for one will not be watching, I'm sick to death of present politicians having programmes on news channels. The difference with Portillo and Farage is that they are not politicians now before they got their roles on GB News.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 09:33 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I for one will not be watching, I'm sick to death of present politicians having programmes on news channels. The difference with Portillo and Farage is that they are not politicians now before they got their roles on GB News.

Indeed. In fact Portillo is arguably better known now as a presenter than he ever was in politics.