Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Neil Jones - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 06:59 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Jacob Rees-Mogg's State of the Nation starts tomorrow night at 8pm. Tune in! (Or don't...)

"So a job I'm getting, possibly, I wonder who my boss'll be? I wonder if he'll take to me...? What bonuses he'll make to me...? I'll start at eight and finish late, At normal rate, and all.but wait! I think I'd better think it out again."

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 26-02-2023

Haven't all Tory MPs (and opposition) got a three line whip to be in Parliament tomorrow. It's absolutely ridiculous that on a day when a signficant development in post-Brexit arrangements in Northern Ireland will be the headline that a Brexiter in chief can be presenting in primetime on a news channel.

RE: GB News - EJnutz - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 10:01 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Haven't all Tory MPs (and opposition) got a three line whip to be in Parliament tomorrow.  It's absolutely ridiculous that on a day when a signficant development in post-Brexit arrangements in Northern Ireland will be the headline that a Brexiter in chief can be presenting in primetime on a news channel.

Perhaps they only have to be there for a couple of hours.  If he does not turn up it wont be a Tory MP presenting the Jacob Rees Mogg show, as he will lose the Whip

RE: GB News - London Lite - 26-02-2023

I thought every MP has a substitute who can vote on their behalf if they can't attend?

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 10:18 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I thought every MP has a substitute who can vote on their behalf if they can't attend?

You mean there are arrangements in place so he can do his work without going into his place of work?   Big Grin 

There is usually pairing of votes, so you partner up with someone voting the opposite way and effectively cancel out each others votes by not voting.   This is the problem though with any MP presenting an evening show - we've seen so many of these crucial votes, often Brexit related, play out in the evenings over the last few years.   

It's one thing an MP not being there to cast their vote in person, but quite another to have someone who is so publicly associated with one side of the argument presenting the coverage of such votes on a news channel - and that is where the current broadcast regulations are failing the viewers when it comes to impartiality.

RE: GB News - TMD_24 - 27-02-2023

Probably end up in a situation where he presents his show just outside the commons whilst he's voting and on a three line whip!  Tongue

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 27-02-2023

I generally like GB News but I really wish they wouldn’t employ sitting MPs as presenters. It feels wrong and also unnecessary. I’m not sure what it adds to the channel.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 12:37 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I generally like GB News but I really wish they wouldn’t employ sitting MPs as presenters. It feels wrong and also unnecessary. I’m not sure what it adds to the channel.

LBC are equally as guilty for getting in sitting MPs to cover James O'Brien on mid-mornings.

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 27-02-2023

Not a fan of them doing that either.

I think the telling thing is if it happened the other way round and an established news presenter was elected to Parliament they would, traditionally at least, be expected to quit their broadcasting role.

RE: GB News - TMD_24 - 27-02-2023

Rees-Mogg has said on GMB this morning that if he was on a three-line whip and if he was forced to vote during a period where his show would be on, he wouldn't present his show. He even said he wouldn't present from central lobby if it came to that.