Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Brekkie - 02-03-2023

So just a new job title really to compensate for him not getting the main job.

RE: GB News - gottago - 03-03-2023

Is he actually any good (genuine question)? Whenever I've seen him on BBC political shows he's tended to peddle misinformation, normally about Brexit, that is easily disproven with a simple Google search. He's certainly got a talent for delivering incorrect statements in an authoritative way.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 01:19 PM)gottago Wrote:  Is he actually any good (genuine question)? Whenever I've seen him on BBC political shows he's tended to peddle misinformation, normally about Brexit, that is easily disproven with a simple Google search. He's certainly got a talent for delivering incorrect statements in an authoritative way.

So find a specific example for this type of claim before making it?

Things you disagree with or and inconvenient to an argument you agree with are not "misinformation" or "incorrect"

You say it just takes a simple Google search? You must have lots of examples to hand you can share?

As a presenter he's actually engaged with his topics and listens to the guests answers,  which is good - and better than Peston in that regard.

Tom is fairly young - like a lot of people in politics, so sometimes his world view lacks context.

RE: GB News - IanJRedman - 03-03-2023

Personal opinion, but I'm so used to news outlets like the BBC, ITV and Sky, where the presenters are meant to be impartial. It was really jarring to see a 'Deputy Political Editor' appear on Question Time last night, clearly expressing his own political opinions. There's nothing inherently wrong with that I suppose - it's not unlike newspapers, or radio stations like LBC - but it still felt strange, and isn't really my cup of tea.

(03-03-2023, 02:05 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Personal opinion, but I'm so used to news outlets like the BBC, ITV and Sky, where the presenters are meant to be impartial. It was really jarring to see a 'Deputy Political Editor' appear on Question Time last night, clearly expressing his own political opinions. There's nothing inherently wrong with that I suppose - it's not unlike newspapers, or radio stations like LBC - but it still felt strange, and isn't really my cup of tea.

Jarring you say,  seeing news presenters who are supposed to be impartial, so how do you feel about Charlene white on Loose Woman?

I totally respect that it may not be your cup of tea

RE: GB News - gottago - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 01:52 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 01:19 PM)gottago Wrote:  Is he actually any good (genuine question)? Whenever I've seen him on BBC political shows he's tended to peddle misinformation, normally about Brexit, that is easily disproven with a simple Google search. He's certainly got a talent for delivering incorrect statements in an authoritative way.

So find a specific example for this type of claim before making it?
Yes sure, just last night on Question Time he repeated claims that the vaccine rollout was made quicker due to Brexit, which is verifiably untrue. And also claimed VAT adjustments and removals weren't possible before Brexit, this again is incorrect. 

Quote:Things you disagree with or and inconvenient to an argument you agree with are not "misinformation" or "incorrect"
He gave misinformation to support his argument, as he has done on previous occasions that I've seen him on the BBC (unfortunately the episodes of Politics Live have expired on iPlayer). That's not me pointing out something inconvenient to anything I agree with, that's him using misinformation to support his own argument.

(03-03-2023, 02:33 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 01:52 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  So find a specific example for this type of claim before making it?
Yes sure, just last night on Question Time he repeated claims that the vaccine rollout was made quicker due to Brexit, which is verifiably untrue. And also claimed VAT adjustments and removals weren't possible before Brexit, this again is incorrect. 

Quote:Things you disagree with or and inconvenient to an argument you agree with are not "misinformation" or "incorrect"
He gave misinformation to support his argument, as he has done on previous occasions that I've seen him on the BBC (unfortunately the episodes of Politics Live have expired on iPlayer). That's not me pointing out something inconvenient to anything I agree with, that's him using misinformation to support his own argument.
So no evidence then, just opinion 

Not going of stray into the politics of it other that to correct the misinformation you give on the presenter on the channel. 

Given the AZ covid jab wasn't approved by EU for some time after,  its true to claim it was made faster by using a single regulator process.   Fact checkers support that.

VAT us also a true statement, once a tax is aligned I'm rate its hard to make an exception as it triggers 'state aid' rules to the sector in question.  As always these things are complex  which is why you can hold two opinions in good faith depending how you weight the facts - the very basis on legal arguments and out judiciary.  It's wrong to claim the opposing side is 'misinformation' its a Marxist tactic to diminish opposition and has no place in a democracy

RE: GB News - Steve in Pudsey - 03-03-2023

I think there are various definitions of fact at play here - other fact checkers would point to the fact that the vaccine was rolled out while we were in the transition period as evidence that being part of the EU didn't prevent the UK from doing its own thing separate from the EU efforts.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 03-03-2023

I know people on both sides have criticised Laura Kuenssberg for her supposed lack of impartiality when she was the BBC Pol Ed, but I never felt I knew what her political views are. Harwood on the other hand wears his politics on his sleeve.

RE: GB News - TMD_24 - 03-03-2023

The final shows of The Briefing were today with Tom Harwood and Arlene Foster. From the 6th March, To The Point is returning from 9:30am-12pm with new presenters Beverly Turner and Andrew Pierce whilst GB News Live with Mark Longhurst is also getting an extra Friday show from 12pm-3pm.