Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Kojak - 03-03-2023

I still don’t see what Bev Turner adds to that channel. At least you know where Andrew Pierce is coming from, and that he believes what he says. Bev just seems to say the most controversial things for attention.

RE: GB News - matthieu1221 - 03-03-2023

I don't know why they play around with the schedule so much. Aside from a few big names which definitely pull people in, people will either turn up to watch or not regardless.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 08:02 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I still don’t see what Bev Turner adds to that channel. At least you know where Andrew Pierce is coming from, and that he believes what he says. Bev just seems to say the most controversial things for attention.

Bev and Emma Kenny (This Morning) were two with broadcasting experience that jumped on the anti-vaxxer bandwagon during the pandemic. Bev was rewarded with a gig on GB News and I think Emma has been a guest on the channel and returned to This Morning.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 03-03-2023

The GB News website is now truly awful - it has turned into a newspaper website in terms of how it is laid out and the sluggish nature of it.

It is like someone from the Daily Express decided to simply use their template now for GB News

Their original website design was not great, but how can they somehow revamp it, and make it worse?

It is about as slow and sluggish as a Virgin Media Tivo box - I have very fast internet, but it is still slow, with dreadful advertising positions on the page.

(03-03-2023, 08:31 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 08:02 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I still don’t see what Bev Turner adds to that channel. At least you know where Andrew Pierce is coming from, and that he believes what he says. Bev just seems to say the most controversial things for attention.

Bev and Emma Kenny (This Morning) were two with broadcasting experience that jumped on the anti-vaxxer bandwagon during the pandemic.  Bev was rewarded with a gig on GB News and I think Emma has been a guest on the channel and returned to This Morning.
Trying to tread very, VERY carefully here... it does seem as if the powers that be at GBN like to attract... certain types of viewers, no doubt because saying the (often inflammatory) things they like to hear generates a lot of traction on social media. I don't know that that is necessarily right, or wise. I know they're a business that needs to make a profit, but surely a channel that wants to be seen as a credible news organisation would do well to do away with some of the more colourful presenters? They seem to want to have their cake and eat it. 

As I've said on here many times, I honestly do believe the idea of GBN had a lot of potential. Sadly they seem to have completely abandoned Andrew Neil's original vision for the channel. They go on about balance - why not have some hosts from the left? (And no, not Aaron Bastani - the man is a complete clown).

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 08:42 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 08:31 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Bev and Emma Kenny (This Morning) were two with broadcasting experience that jumped on the anti-vaxxer bandwagon during the pandemic.  Bev was rewarded with a gig on GB News and I think Emma has been a guest on the channel and returned to This Morning.
Trying to tread very, VERY carefully here... it does seem as if the powers that be at GBN like to attract... certain types of viewers, no doubt because saying the (often inflammatory) things they like to hear generates a lot of traction on social media. I don't know that that is necessarily right, or wise. I know they're a business that needs to make a profit, but surely a channel that wants to be seen as a credible news organisation would do well to do away with some of the more colourful presenters? They seem to want to have their cake and eat it. 

As I've said on here many times, I honestly do believe the idea of GBN had a lot of potential. Sadly they seem to have completely abandoned Andrew Neil's original vision for the channel. They go on about balance - why not have some hosts from the left? (And no, not Aaron Bastani - the man is a complete clown).
I think Andrew Neil's vision of the channel went down the drain as soon as Dan Wootton hosted his first show straight after Andrew's first edition when Andrew handed over to "Dan the Man", and within minutes Dan's first show on air, he launched into a monologue bout the Covid restrictions, and saw GB News receive 373 complaints and Ofcom was contacted. Literally one hour into the channel's existence they went down that path which angered Andrew Neil.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 03-03-2023

I do think they need more robust challenge in opinion segments, last night (thu) they had bizarre panel topic on the Drag for mums fuss that had a 3 on 1 pileon to the only voice with a different opinion.

Really badly produced, as the only clips they for from it were a shouty mess that hasn't gone viral. Very much need Dan Wooton to make it work for them.

It's also a topic that doesn't fly for its target daily mail 50+ audince, its one of those tuned out topics as nonsense.

As to Bev Tuner, I'd think twice about the "anti vaxx" label. Becouse as we've seen from the Hancock WhatsApp leak, much of the criticism of covid response and mask mandates turned out to be based on Facts so it's better as a society that things get reevaluate based on evidence rather than cling to past tribes.

(03-03-2023, 09:05 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  As to Bev Tuner, I'd think twice about the "anti vaxx" label. Becouse as we've seen from the Hancock WhatsApp leak, much of the criticism of covid response and mask mandates turned out to be based on Facts so it's better as a society that things get reevaluate based on evidence rather than cling to past tribes.

Respectfully - and again, trying to tread VERY carefully - I think there's a difference between being against the lockdowns (for which I think various legitimate arguments can be made, whether one agrees with them or not), and being against a vaccine which was fully tested and approved by authorities the world over, for what often seemed like completely spurious reasons. Anyway that's all I'll say on that topic.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 09:11 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 09:05 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  As to Bev Tuner, I'd think twice about the "anti vaxx" label.  Becouse as we've seen from the Hancock WhatsApp leak,  much of the criticism of covid response and mask mandates turned out to be based on Facts so it's better as a society that things get reevaluate based on evidence rather than cling to past tribes.

Respectfully - and again, trying to tread VERY carefully - I think there's a difference between being against the lockdowns (for which I think various legitimate arguments can be made, whether one agrees with them or not), and being against a vaccine which was fully tested and approved by authorities the world over, for what often seemed like completely spurious reasons. Anyway that's all I'll say on that topic.
I appreciate the way you express this and respect your views. 

But it should be said that no such views were expressed in this form on the GB News channel 

As with Talk Radio,  there were voices that were sceptical with many different thesis; interestingly with hind sight and current knowledge these prove less 'wrong' than was considered at the time 

Debate is the function of broadcasting in a healthy democracy.

(03-03-2023, 10:19 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 09:11 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Respectfully - and again, trying to tread VERY carefully - I think there's a difference between being against the lockdowns (for which I think various legitimate arguments can be made, whether one agrees with them or not), and being against a vaccine which was fully tested and approved by authorities the world over, for what often seemed like completely spurious reasons. Anyway that's all I'll say on that topic.
I appreciate the way you express this and respect your views.

You make a lot of good points, and I'm going to go through this line by line:

Quote:But it should be said that no such views were expressed in this form on the GB News channel

There were and have been multiple expressions of anti-vax views on GB News, particularly by Mark Steyn, Neil Oliver and Calvin Robinson. EDIT: you were referring to Bev Turner specifically - so scratch that!

Quote:As with Talk Radio,  there were voices that were sceptical with many different thesis; interestingly with hind sight and current knowledge these prove less 'wrong' than was considered at the time

You raise a very interesting point - there were a lot of voices during the height of the pandemic that derided Talk Radio for airing what might be called sceptical views about the pandemic and lockdowns, claiming that it undermined the government's public health efforts. Was that right? Did airing those views potentially encourage breaking of the rules? Or was it a necessary safety valve for people who disagreed with, and/or were frustrated with everything going on? Maybe a discussion to be had on Metropol, rather than here, but a very interesting one all the same.  

Quote:Debate is the function of broadcasting in a healthy democracy.

Completely agree - amen to that!