Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Jon - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 03:12 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 02:43 PM)derek500 Wrote:  https://www.gbnews.com/news/lee-anderson-joins-gb-news-tory-deputy-chairman 

Now confirmed, as is the news that Nigel Nelson is joining the channel as Senior Political Commentator.

Actually the Nigel Nelson part of the story is the most interesting 

He days in the piece "As Labour looks likely to win the next election, and I’ve spent my career with a Labour-supporting newspaper, the perspective of anyone from the Left will be critical to any conversation about politics.”

Definitely a serious bit of recruitment
Is it though? It sounds like he’s just going to continue to be a pundit across multiple programmes, it’s just now he’ll have a job title. If anything it’s probably part of their cost cutting drive when it comes to pundits. The Lee Anderson story is the bigger thing here, because he’ll be a presenter which means he’ll likely be replacing someone else and he’s likely to say things that are quite close to the line and the fact it’s another in a long line of Conservative leaning hosts.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 07-03-2023

GB News had been spouting the snow disaster that was apparently going to come to the UK - it turns out, it will be a few days of some snow, not in everywhere, and come the weekend, mild weather returns.

GB News over the last month or so on their website have treated it like the end of the world, fear and scare mongering at it's worst.

Just look at their website now - where is this weather fear/scare mongering? Not there, and just a basic weather warning article.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 03:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 03:12 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Actually the Nigel Nelson part of the story is the most interesting 

He days in the piece "As Labour looks likely to win the next election, and I’ve spent my career with a Labour-supporting newspaper, the perspective of anyone from the Left will be critical to any conversation about politics.”

Is it though? It sounds like he’s just going to continue to be a pundit across multiple programmes, it’s just now he’ll have a job title. If anything it’s probably part of their cost cutting drive when it comes to pundits. The Lee Anderson story is the bigger thing here, because he’ll be a presenter which means he’ll likely be replacing someone else and he’s likely to say things that are quite close to the line and the fact it’s another in a long line of Conservative leaning hosts.
Yes. Becouse it's shows two things:  that established (left) journalists will work for the channel. Nigel may not be a household name in the way some self promoters are, but he's a VERY well known Westminster figure; secondly it shows an awareness within the channel management of the need to position differently in a changing political world - the explicit reference to potential Labour government in an official PR story was surprisingly honest.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 03:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 03:12 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Actually the Nigel Nelson part of the story is the most interesting 

Anderson not replacing anybody.  He's at 7pm, Fox moves to 8pm and Dolan back to two hours again from 9pm.    Maybe Dolan will do Friday's Headliners again?

RE: GB News - TheJarv - 09-03-2023

GB News made a £30 million loss last year

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/09/losses-deepen-at-gb-news-network-moves-to-fend-off-rival-talktv-nigel-farage-jacob-rees-mogg-?CMP=share_btn_link 

RE: GB News - cando - 10-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 11:54 AM)TheJarv Wrote:  GB News made a £30 million loss last year

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/09/losses-deepen-at-gb-news-network-moves-to-fend-off-rival-talktv-nigel-farage-jacob-rees-mogg-?CMP=share_btn_link 

Only 3m in advertising for a full year... Shy

RE: GB News - thomalex - 10-03-2023

I wonder what the longer term plan is here? GB News do seem to be enjoying some success of late, they've largely fended off Talk TV and seem to have a stable audience that regularly beats Sky News in the viewing figures. But still the figures are tiny commercially speaking. Where is the money going to come from?

I also can't imagine other news channels are faring any better commercially.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 02:27 PM)thomalex Wrote:  

I wonder what the longer term plan is here? GB News do seem to be enjoying some success of late, they've largely fended off Talk TV and seem to have a stable audience that regularly beats Sky News in the viewing figures. But still the figures are tiny commercially speaking. Where is the money going to come from?

I also can't imagine other news channels are faring any better commercially.
The longer term plan (if you can call it that) seems to be to cut costs to the bone (except where Tory MPs are concerned, clearly!). 

Quote:[color=#252524][font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif][Angelos] Frangopoulos said the channel would be “adopting a story-centric model”. In practical terms, he explained, this meant “allocating a dedicated team to each major story as it develops through the day, rather than programme teams working on it in parallel”. He said this would help staff “avoid the duplication of inviting the same guest on to several shows and will ensure we supply and use all our digital platforms to maximum effect”.[/font][/color]

[color=#252524][font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif]The “default position” for GB News will be that guests are not paid for appearances, he added. The channel’s “most regular paid guests will receive a flat rate”, and rates will include travel and other expenses – “they are responsible for their own travel and we will not fund taxis on top”. Frangopoulos added: “When we do pay down-the-line guests, they will have to meet minimum technical standards, and be ready in good time, to qualify for payment.”[/font][/color]
I personally would be mildly surprised if they are still on air in a year's time, and very surprised if they are still going in two. I know there is a lot of talk about its backers being happy to make a loss because they support the general ideology - but there are losses, and then there are LOSSES. GBN seems to very much be a money pit, and I'd be surprised if the backers are willing to lose that much money all for the sake of having a news channel that appeals to their biases.

RE: GB News - chris - 10-03-2023

If only this was predictable…..

RE: GB News - London Lite - 10-03-2023

As Private Eye called their output "bat****" in the current issue, GBN still has a long way before it can lose the reputation of being an echo chamber for a section of society rather than a credible news outlet the average news viewer will tune into as an alternative to the mainstream outlets.