Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Pips2022 - 12-03-2023

The cr*pness of their output last night- and the clips that have gone viral- actually do damage their brand. Future contributors or higher-end presenters like Michael Portillo or Camilla Tominey might be wondering who came up with such self-defeating poor PR.

A real own goal (no pun intended) which made GB News look more like the Daily Star/Sport than the Daily Telegraph sort of channel they’re aiming to be.

RE: GB News - VMPhil - 12-03-2023

When does John Cleese’s show start?

RE: GB News - Kojak - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 12:40 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  The cr*pness of their output last night- and the clips that have gone viral- actually do damage their brand. Future contributors or higher-end presenters like Michael Portillo or Camilla Tominey might be wondering who came up with such self-defeating poor PR.

A real own goal (no pun intended) which made GB News look more like the Daily Star/Sport than the Daily Telegraph sort of channel they’re aiming to be.

I don’t think they are trying to be a ‘Telegraph on TV’ type outlet. If anything it seems to be much more like a televised Daily Express. The marketing is very brash, like the Express. Think ‘The World’s Greatest Newspaper’ vs ‘The People’s Channel’. The headlines on their website are exactly like the ones you see on the Express website. The editorial slant is very similar… I could go on.

RE: GB News - leewilliams - 12-03-2023

Perilously close to Ofcom having to look at yet more GBN content here for a possible breach of section 3.3 of the Broadcasting Code, I fear:

https://twitter.com/dinosofos/status/1634695487642124288?s=46&t=OuG-53CJRHzzDVEPmDXGSg 

Mark is a stand up comedian. So how on Earth is he so wooden?!

RE: GB News - London Lite - 12-03-2023

They're attempting to be satirical, but it's simply not funny.

RE: GB News - tvchris - 12-03-2023

Hopefully some complaints to Ofcom about Patrick's homophobic comments.

RE: GB News - Jon - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 03:58 PM)tvchris Wrote:  Hopefully some complaints to Ofcom about Patrick's homophobic comments.
They’d argue it wasn’t homophobic, just anti-virtual signalling. However it’s a thin line between the two.

(12-03-2023, 02:00 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Mark is a stand up comedian. So how on Earth is he so wooden?!
He worked well on Balls of Steel to be fair. I think the issue with Dolan is he doesn’t believe half the stuff he comes out with so it’s not very authentic. Cristys has some more charisma but comes across as someone who’s just regurgitates lines he’s used other right wing commentators use in the past only with a lot of energy.

It’s not an anti-right wing thing either, there are some commentators on the right who come across as intelligent and with interesting ideas. Even Mark Steyn brought something different to the table, despite being a borderline conspiracy theorist and only having his mates on the programme.

(12-03-2023, 04:02 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 02:00 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Mark is a stand up comedian. So how on Earth is he so wooden?!
He worked well on Balls of Steel to be fair. I think the issue with Dolan is he doesn’t believe half the stuff he comes out with so it’s not very authentic. Cristys has some more charisma but comes across as someone who’s just regurgitates lines he’s used other right wing commentators use in the past only with a lot of energy.

It’s not an anti-right wing thing either, there are some commentators on the right who come across as intelligent and with interesting ideas. Even Mark Steyn brought something different to the table, despite being a borderline conspiracy theorist and only having his mates on the programme.
I never watched Balls of Steel, so I’ll take your word for it. I can well believe that he doesn’t believe half of what he says. I remember someone at the purple place who worked with Dolan at LBC saying he always came across as liberal/slightly left wing.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 04:44 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 04:02 PM)Jon Wrote:  He worked well on Balls of Steel to be fair. I think the issue with Dolan is he doesn’t believe half the stuff he comes out with so it’s not very authentic. Cristys has some more charisma but comes across as someone who’s just regurgitates lines he’s used other right wing commentators use in the past only with a lot of energy.

I never watched Balls of Steel, so I’ll take your word for it. I can well believe that he doesn’t believe half of what he says. I remember someone at the purple place who worked with Dolan at LBC saying he always came across as liberal/slightly left wing.
Whoever pays his salary is where Mark's loyalty is given to. Sadly he has become an empty vessel. Just look at how he reads the autocue. It looks like he has no idea what is written and doesn't know what the next sentence will be. The pacing is appalling. 

At least with Dan Wootton with the bile and nonsense he spills out, he actually comes across as if he believes in what he is saying, which I sincerely doubt. I think he is the UK version of Tucker Carlson on Fox News, where we have seen now recently how little he says on screen on Fox News is what he actually believes.