Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

Scrotnig - Scrotnig - 13-03-2023

I have to say….and I am a fan of GB News, overall….that rainbow flags comment went too far and it’s not something I think should have any place on there. Certainly, not in the context it was delivered anyhow.

I get why they did that MOTD hour, I also get that it was put together in a hurry, but it just didn’t work. It felt like the actions of a channel that’s given up and doesn’t care what it puts out.

Again I’m a fan of the channel, I know they can do so much better than this. Sorry.

RE: GB News - GlasgowCruiser - 13-03-2023

Gay here, think it was a badly, badly misfired joke more than anything else. They're obviously more trying to make a dig at Lineker being 'woke'. But neither Christys or Dolan have the comedic timing and it ended up being delivered in a way that could be interpreted as homophobic. Not to mention that it's very lazy, cliche stuff to say anyway.

RE: GB News - Jon - 13-03-2023

The other thing about doing a football show for an hour, it’s surely just lost them their regular Saturday night audience who if they were interested in football so would probably not watch on a Saturday night.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 02:54 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  . It felt like the actions of a channel that’s given up and doesn’t care what it puts out.

I think they have given up. I still think it will be a miracle if they are on air in a year's time.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 03:13 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(13-03-2023, 02:54 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  . It felt like the actions of a channel that’s given up and doesn’t care what it puts out.

I think they have given up. I still think it will be a miracle if they are on air in a year's time.

One one hand they've got some new hires including Mark Longhurst, Laurence Fox, Chopper and Jacob Rees-Mogg and then there's the lazy tropes that were on Saturday night's one off football show.

They have at least two shows that work for their target audience, Farage while I don't agree with his politics, he's a natural broadcaster and interviewer and the bat**** Dan Wootton show which has also found a niche as an OTT tabloid culture wars show.

Headliners has also been applauded in revitalising the tired newspaper review format by using comedians.

Otherwise it's very messy. A plodding along breakfast show, the mid-morning show which has been revamped again, Patrick Christys basically being the GB News version of a radio swing jock doing every spare pres shift going in addition to his own afternoon programme and the faux priest and the bloke from Coast being off the scale.

Yet it can say it's beaten Talk TV although both stations shares are still minute and has beaten Sky and the NC in some slots.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 13-03-2023

Honestly, some programmes work and that includes:

Breakfast
News Live with Mark Longhurst
Farage
Headliners
Alastair Stewart & Friends
Camilla Tominey

Other programmes just don't simply work and I don't think it would be long before Dan Wootton goes off on a new venture. My only criticism of News Live is they are slow on breaking news but I would think that can be fixed and make it more attractive to any new listener or viewer.

RE: GB News - Matrix - 13-03-2023

It's 2023, and we're debating whether a GB News host was homophobic as part of a cheap sketch in a desperate effort to upstage the BBC. Hardly setting a new course in news, is it. 

You could argue it was always going to head this way. Cheap sets, cheap editorial standards, and cheap laughs. Decent staff ran for the hills and it's now packed to the rafters with fringe of the Telegraph or flunkies from the ruling party.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 04:41 PM)Matrix Wrote:  It's 2023, and we're debating whether a GB News host was homophobic as part of a cheap sketch in a desperate effort to upstage the BBC. Hardly setting a new course in news, is it. 

You could argue it was always going to head this way. Cheap sets, cheap editorial standards, and cheap laughs. Decent staff ran for the hills and it's now packed to the rafters with fringe of the Telegraph or flunkies from the ruling party.

It's Express TV in all but name under Mick Booker.

RE: GB News - GlasgowCruiser - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 03:47 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  Honestly, some programmes work and that includes:

Breakfast
News Live with Mark Longhurst
Farage
Headliners
Alastair Stewart & Friends
Camilla Tominey

Other programmes just don't simply work and I don't think it would be long before Dan Wootton goes off on a new venture. My only criticism of News Live is they are slow on breaking news but I would think that can be fixed and make it more attractive to any new listener or viewer.

I feel like Free Speech Nation has promise to be there but the format has gotten tired. Very little variety in the comedians they choose (especially shouty Leo Kearse & Lewis Schaffer) and too much talk about gender. I feel like the programme can discuss interesting topics and I like the audience interaction but it needs some work.

RE: GB News - Jon - 13-03-2023

The joke was obviously intended to be about ‘virtue signalling’ rather than one aimed at the gay community. The trouble is unlike a faceless corporation that are often using the rainbow flag symbol to look good rather than having any particular affinity to the cause, Brighton obviously has quite a large LGBTQ+ contingent amongst its fan base, so it comes across as attacking that community in this instance. Which I don’t think the intent of the cheap joke was.

But that’s the problem with Christy‘s in particular, he comes across as an over excited salesman who swallowed a glossary of right wing media cliches. With someone like Colin Brazier, although I disagreed with most of what he came out with, you believed he’d thought about and believed what he said and it sounded like intelligent conversation most of the time.

I’m not saying there isn’t an audience for what he does, I just personally find it less watchable than some of the other programmes which have their moments.

Again, the Lineker and migrant stuff in general I don’t like along with excessive Megan and Harry talk I find tedious so I tend to avoid the Channel when those are the main talking points. But obvious it must work for them to keep milking them.