Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - DavidWhitfield - 13-03-2023

I saw barely any of Colin Brazier's content on GB News but I always found him to be a very competent presenter on Sky. Alongside the likes of Simon McCoy, I think he's a real loss to the station - in both cases, a safe pair of hands with a lot of experience in live presenting and a good journalistic pedigree.

RE: GB News - Jon - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 06:52 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  I saw barely any of Colin Brazier's content on GB News but I always found him to be a very competent presenter on Sky. Alongside the likes of Simon McCoy, I think he's a real loss to the station - in both cases, a safe pair of hands with a lot of experience in live presenting and a good journalistic pedigree.
Simon McCoy was basically the same Simon McCoy but with less competent technically backing than he was on the BBC. Colin Brazier was very political on the channel but had some believability about him. I still find it strange they got rid of him. 

My guess is some of the original staff such as Brazier and Alex Philips were on very expensive contracts needed to entice them in and some of the newer names are cheaper.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 06:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  The joke was obviously intended to be about ‘virtue signalling’ rather than one aimed at the gay community. The trouble is unlike a faceless corporation that are often using the rainbow flag symbol to look good rather than having any particular affinity to the cause, Brighton obviously has quite a large LGBTQ+ contingent amongst its fan base, so it comes across as attacking that community in this instance. Which I don’t think the intent of the cheap joke was.

Brighton is the liberal capital of the UK. This is a part of the country that has reelected a Green MP, has a Corbynite Labour MP in another Brighton seat and the Greens run the unitary authority.

The city probably could count the amount of GB News viewers on one hand.

(13-03-2023, 07:33 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(13-03-2023, 06:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  The joke was obviously intended to be about ‘virtue signalling’ rather than one aimed at the gay community. The trouble is unlike a faceless corporation that are often using the rainbow flag symbol to look good rather than having any particular affinity to the cause, Brighton obviously has quite a large LGBTQ+ contingent amongst its fan base, so it comes across as attacking that community in this instance. Which I don’t think the intent of the cheap joke was.

Brighton is the liberal capital of the UK.  This is a part of the country that has reelected a Green MP, has a Corbynite Labour MP in another Brighton seat and the Greens run the unitary authority.   

I’m not sure how relevant that is to the matter though.
I’m sure there is a significant minority of right leaning people there. I’m pretty sure Simon Evans has spoken about living there.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 07:41 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(13-03-2023, 07:33 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Brighton is the liberal capital of the UK.  This is a part of the country that has reelected a Green MP, has a Corbynite Labour MP in another Brighton seat and the Greens run the unitary authority.   

I’m not sure how relevant that is to the matter though.
I’m sure there is a significant minority of right leaning people there. I’m pretty sure Simon Evans has spoken about living there.

It's the most accepting place in the country for LGBTQ and there will be a significant part of the population offended by what is considered a right-wing opinion channel once again being rude about people who don't share GBN's cisgender binary opinion of people.

(13-03-2023, 07:49 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(13-03-2023, 07:41 PM)Jon Wrote:  I’m not sure how relevant that is to the matter though.

It's the most accepting place in the country for LGBTQ and there will be a significant part of the population offended by what is considered a right-wing opinion channel once again being rude about people who don't share GBN's cisgender binary opinion of people.
Yes, I agree with that. That’s why Brighton was used in the bad joke. There will still be plenty of people who are less liberally minded on such matters there though.

As I say I think it was intended to be joke about virtue signalling which was bad and misunderstanding what the concept of virtue signalling is. Making it unintentionally come over as homophobic.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 13-03-2023

Wow, I just decided to pop back to GB News and Talk TV tonight to watch 5 to 10 minutes each from 9pm. GB News was appalling and Talk TV was actually fairly decent.

GB News had Dan Wootton back from his holiday, and he got into a slanging match with Benjamin Butterworth about the Lineker story, and of course being GB News, totally unbalanced, as there was Carol Malone and another right winger either side of Benjamin, both agreeing with Dan, as they shouted down Benjamin when he tried to make a point, with Dan entering into a rant how the BBC should be de funded.

Talk TV actually looked sane. The Talk show, with the four panel members talked without shouting over each other. They covered the Lineker story, but in a much balanced way. I never ever thought I would say that a Murdoch owned station would have a show which was balanced.

RE: GB News - matthieu1221 - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 10:25 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Wow, I just decided to pop back to GB News and Talk TV tonight to watch 5 to 10 minutes each from 9pm. GB News was appalling and Talk TV was actually fairly decent.

GB News had Dan Wootton back from his holiday, and he got into a slanging match with Benjamin Butterworth about the Lineker story, and of course being GB News, totally unbalanced, as there was Carol Malone and another right winger either side of Benjamin, both agreeing with Dan, as they shouted down Benjamin when he tried to make a point, with Dan entering into a rant how the BBC should be de funded.

Talk TV actually looked sane. The Talk show, with the four panel members talked without shouting over each other. They covered the Lineker story, but in a much balanced way. I never ever thought I would say that a Murdoch owned station would have a show which was balanced.

One rates well, one doesn't.

Problem is, people don't equate TalkTV with balanced. And then again, even if they did, would they even switch away from whatever they are watching now?

GB News has tapped into a very FOX News-esque viewerbase. Why change anything if it's rather successful? For every viewer they gain by being a little more balanced, they might lose a viewer who likes it as it currently is. There's 0 incentive for them to be a little more balanced.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 11:10 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(13-03-2023, 10:25 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Wow, I just decided to pop back to GB News and Talk TV tonight to watch 5 to 10 minutes each from 9pm. GB News was appalling and Talk TV was actually fairly decent.

One rates well, one doesn't.

Problem is, people don't equate TalkTV with balanced. And then again, even if they did, would they even switch away from whatever they are watching now?

GB News has tapped into a very FOX News-esque viewerbase. Why change anything if it's rather successful? For every viewer they gain by being a little more balanced, they might lose a viewer who likes it as it currently is. There's 0 incentive for them to be a little more balanced.
 This separation that some people have that there's a fox news esque viewer base that is somehow different to the rest of society is nonsense. 

You only need to look at the morons and extremists targeting Fiona Bruce for doing her job as instructed by producers and required by fairness provisions of the Broadcast Code and BBC equivalent,  to understand that Left and right have a base of unhinged people who only tolerate views and expression through there lens 

The same unhinged go looking on social media for views to reinforce their own and target the opposition like its a war,  and feel smug with likes and retweets as if that time spent in their life was meaningful (spoiler,  it wasn't)

YouTube the feistier This Morning stuff until 2012, old loose woman,  GMB Piers rants  etc  to see that Dan Wooton and GB NEWS isn't that dissimilar and entertainment format.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 13-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 11:21 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:   This separation that some people have that there's a fox news esque viewer base that is somehow different to the rest of society is nonsense. 

It does exist, though. It is much, much smaller than some people (even on here) seem to think - but it does exist. You only have to look at the people on Twitter with #GBNews and #BackBoris in their names to see that. And certain parts of Reddit, too. But that's all I'll say politics-wise.

(13-03-2023, 11:21 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  You only need to look at the morons and extremists targeting Fiona Bruce for doing her job as instructed by producers and required by fairness provisions of the Broadcast Code and BBC equivalent,  to understand that Left and right have a base of unhinged people who only tolerate views and expression through there lens

You are correct about there being a subset of people on both the left and the right who seek out echo chambers and reinforcement of their views - goodness knows, I have seen plenty of it on both sides. But I can understand the stick Fiona Bruce is getting this week (NOT the abuse, obviously!). It's pretty poor of her to essentially excuse Stanley Johnson's domestic abuse by saying "well, he only did it once!" I know she needs to be balanced, but she's not going about it in anywhere near the right way by saying things like that.