Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Worzel - 19-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 06:15 PM)Kojak Wrote:  This NEWS website set to become BIGGEST in the UK...
Quote:[color=#252524][font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif][Geoff] Marsh joined GB News from the Daily Express, where he built its website into an SEO powerhouse, in October.[/font][/color]

[color=#252524][font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif]...[/font][/color]

[color=#252524][font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif][color=#252524][font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif]GB News moved from its gbnews.uk URL to gbnews.com at the start of March to help build its presence outside the UK.[/font][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#252524][font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif][color=#252524][font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif]Marsh told staff the new website address “enables us to compete much more aggressively, much faster, globally. The United States is already our second biggest market, closely followed by Australia, Canada and Ireland, proving there’s a clear appetite for GB News across the English-speaking world.”[/font][/color][/font][/color]
Joking aside, this explains a lot. I've said this umpteen times, but everything about GB News gives off the vibe of a poor imitation of the Express (and that's not a compliment to the Express, believe me).

Quote:[font='Tisa Sans Pro', Georgia, serif][color=#252524]He said GB News’ business goal was to become “the number one news channel in the United Kingdom by 2028”.[/color][/font]

I find it interesting that they have specifically said 2028. I wonder if this is based on an assumption that Sky News will cease broadcasting then? 2028 is when Comcast's initial 10-year funding period ends. It seems that perhaps GBN are banking on a potential closure of Sky News, plus the real closure of BBC News, to then become 'the UK's number one news channel' by default. That's if GB News is even around in 2028! If the losses continue at their current rates (10 times the channel's revenue!), I very much doubt it.

Someone probably needs to tell those in the gallery that the GBNEWS.UK graphic needs updating to the new URL.  Big Grin

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 20-03-2023

It seems to me that GB News is seeking alternative ways of revenue rather than just seek TV advertising. By the looks of it, they will target revenue from the following:

1) Radio advertising (providing their share of listeners go up in the future)
2) Website (through digital clicks and Google Adsense)
3) App services (stream advertising)
4) Youtube and TikTok
5) Programme sponsorship (though they would need a settled schedule for that to happen)
6) Merchandising

Let's face it, they are never going to get the amount of viewers to make money from TV advertising hence why they are adopting more unorthodox methods of bringing in revenue. It may just work and they could turnover a profit. However, they need to concentrate on what works and what doesn't right now, otherwise, they may not make it to 2028.

RE: GB News - Gary Baldy - 20-03-2023

(13-03-2023, 03:23 AM)Jon Wrote:  Had a look at the beginning of Free Speech nation to see if the Free Speech absolutists would defend his right to say what he said. The line from Andrew Doyle was along lines of ‘Lineker signed a contract which means he can’t attack the government’, which I don’t think seems to be true. But you just know if he’d said something they’d agreed with about gender ideology he agreed with, he’d be incensed even if the contract forbid It and incensed that contract forbid it. I expect these kind of inconsistencies from the right wing shock jocks, but Doyle is supposedly left leaning and presents himself as more measured than those. I imagine there is a fear of a Fox News style backlash from viewers.

And watching the start of that ‘Alternative MOTD’ and at least Eamonn Holmes stuck up for Lineker in his short down the line interview. With the hosts admitting he’d been getting 48 hours of stick from the channel till that point.
Doyle most certainly isn’t left-leaning. I’d say he’s right-of-centre, he just appears a bit more left-leaning because of how radically right the rest of the channel are.

The only one I’d say is somewhat left leaning is Steve N Allen. 

And then Eamonn is more centrist.

RE: GB News - Jon - 20-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 01:22 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(13-03-2023, 03:23 AM)Jon Wrote:  Had a look at the beginning of Free Speech nation to see if the Free Speech absolutists would defend his right to say what he said. The line from Andrew Doyle was along lines of ‘Lineker signed a contract which means he can’t attack the government’, which I don’t think seems to be true. But you just know if he’d said something they’d agreed with about gender ideology he agreed with, he’d be incensed even if the contract forbid It and incensed that contract forbid it. I expect these kind of inconsistencies from the right wing shock jocks, but Doyle is supposedly left leaning and presents himself as more measured than those. I imagine there is a fear of a Fox News style backlash from viewers.

And watching the start of that ‘Alternative MOTD’ and at least Eamonn Holmes stuck up for Lineker in his short down the line interview. With the hosts admitting he’d been getting 48 hours of stick from the channel till that point.
Doyle most certainly isn’t left-leaning. I’d say he’s right-of-centre, he just appears a bit more left-leaning because of how radically right the rest of the channel are.
He describes himself as someone from the left though.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 20-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 01:18 AM)KrazyKei Wrote:  It seems to me that GB News is seeking alternative ways of revenue rather than just seek TV advertising. By the looks of it, they will target revenue from the following:

1) Radio advertising (providing their share of listeners go up in the future)
2) Website (through digital clicks and Google Adsense)
3) App services (stream advertising)
4) Youtube and TikTok
5) Programme sponsorship (though they would need a settled schedule for that to happen)
6) Merchandising

Let's face it, they are never going to get the amount of viewers to make money from TV advertising hence why they are adopting more unorthodox methods of bringing in revenue. It may just work and they could turnover a profit. However, they need to concentrate on what works and what doesn't right now, otherwise, they may not make it to 2028.

Thats a fair list of revenue streams. 

Reality Is linear TV advertising (delivered over the air) is very low paying for anyone except ITV1.

Biggest earners and video ads that play on Big screens (smart TV, roku, firesticks etc)

These get around 10x more ££ per thousand.

Page views on site for text stories are pretty low payers these days;  but if they ram 2 or 3 video clips with preroll into a story with other display ads, then its worthwhile. 

The problem is the winning strategy to get to £8-10m UK revenue and be No1 news channel is a different strategy than an international clickdriven one.

They have 3 different businesses fighting in one entity:  a UK tv/radio news talk channel that could overtake Sky if the focus on over 40s slightly northern audiences and their interests; an opinion channel that does uk culture war/daily mail comment section fans; and international English language version of news lite  and hard opinions,  written for OUTRAGE and SHARING

The problem is each section stops the other ones from performing as well as they could

RE: GB News - mccanmat - 20-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 02:56 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  The Sunday schedule published by GB News today for next week shows Alistair Stewart from 1pm-3pm and Nana Akua from 3pm-6pm so Calvin Robinson does appear to be moving to Saturday nights from next week.

Looking back on the app, Calvin mentions his show is moving to Saturdays and also reminds of the new show at 8pm with the return of…… Darren Grimes

RE: GB News - Kojak - 20-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 08:53 AM)mccanmat Wrote:  
(19-03-2023, 02:56 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  The Sunday schedule published by GB News today for next week shows Alistair Stewart from 1pm-3pm and Nana Akua from 3pm-6pm so Calvin Robinson does appear to be moving to Saturday nights from next week.

Looking back on the app, Calvin mentions his show is moving to Saturdays and also reminds of the new show at 8pm with the return of…… Darren Grimes
Darren Grimes… Christ. They really are signing their own death warrant.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 20-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 12:42 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(20-03-2023, 08:53 AM)mccanmat Wrote:  Looking back on the app, Calvin mentions his show is moving to Saturdays and also reminds of the new show at 8pm with the return of…… Darren Grimes
Darren Grimes… Christ. They really are signing their own death warrant.

Not the wisest decision to bring back Grimes after what he was alleged to have done to a colleague which led to him losing his gig in the first place.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 20-03-2023

Darren Grimes? Seriously?!

I thought they’d put that sorry saga to bed.

As I’ve said a few times, I like the channel overall and am supportive of it….but if this is true, decisions of this nature are hard to defend. There must be somebody else available, surely?

It’s not as if Grimes was even much good it, I’m afraid.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 20-03-2023

In tenuous other GBN news, regular talking head Sophie Corcoran is on Channel 4's Rise and Fall as a contestant.