Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Gibsy - 25-03-2023

Billionaires don’t become billionaires my having a vanity project that is currently £30m in the red.

RE: GB News - eyeTV - 25-03-2023

I take it all these serving politician presenters will be taken off air when we approach local elections?

RE: GB News - derek500 - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 02:27 PM)Gibsy Wrote:  Billionaires don’t become billionaires my having a vanity project that is currently £30m in the red.

They're already billionaires!!!  They're just spending a tiny fraction of their money on something they want.

I have lots of holidays and they're all loss making, but they don't affect my income stream.

My point is they will not keep throwing more good money after bad.

RE: GB News - Scrotnig - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 01:55 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 12:01 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  The Anne Diamond situation is bizarre.

It’s now been three months since she appeared. Yet the show remains named after her, and she appears in trailers.

If she was unwell or dealing with personal issues you’d think they’d just say so without giving details. Indeed, when she was actually unwell last year for a few weeks, they did exactly that.

So my money’s on some kind of dispute. It reminds me of when Andrew Neil first “disappeared “ in 2021.

I suspect we will not see Anne on the station again. At some point the branding will just change to Stephen and Ellie and nothing more will ever be said.

Just to point out multiple people has disappeared from the BBC in the past for much longer periods without it being acknowledged either at all or until they return. Just because someone’s job is broadcast to the public it doesn’t mean that they aren’t entitled to privacy if something is going on in their personal life.
I agree, but GB News does rather have form for this scenario. 

Again it’s worth pointing out, I support the channel overall so I’ve no axe to grind.

RE: GB News - Former Member 237 - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 01:17 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It seems to me that GB News still has not learnt any lessons on money - they lost a whopping £30 million in their last financial year, but are still pumping more money into new studios and huge salaries for their presenters.

GB News seems to think it has a bottomless barrel of cash to use. They are not Rupert Murdoch, who can use his vast profits from the Faux News Channel in the US to fund his radio/tv hybrid channel Talk TV - GB News surely doesn't have the same financial backing as Murdoch has?

Sky News has never made a profit. Indeed Comcast only agreed to fund it for 10 years when it purchased Sky. Clearly there is more to running a news channel than just the profit and loss.

Yes I agree, it brings professionalism to any company and adds a great reputation. Something that cannot be said for GB News.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 25-03-2023

GB News has always been an ideological project to give voices to supposed groups that don't get airtime on mainstream media, although I'd debate that Channel 5's Jeremy Vine and the BBC's Question Time and even Sunday Morning Live has debated topics that have been featured on GBN.

RE: GB News - derek500 - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 05:12 PM)London Lite Wrote:  GB News has always been an ideological project to give voices to supposed groups that don't get airtime on mainstream media, although I'd debate that Channel 5's Jeremy Vine and the BBC's Question Time and even Sunday Morning Live has debated topics that have been featured on GBN.

So they don't get airtime on their two main competitors, Sky News and BBC News?

Perhaps, that's a good enough reason for GB News to exist?

RE: GB News - Former Member 237 - 25-03-2023

(25-03-2023, 05:04 PM)Gibsy Wrote:  Yes I agree, it brings professionalism to any company and adds a great reputation. Something that cannot be said for GB News.
That depends who the company is and what the backers want to achieve. It was clear from the start GB news was not trying to be BBC or Sky news, and while they have adjusted somewhat their offering to include more news, they are still not really a news channel in the true sense and never set out to be. So it is difficult to say if the backers are boosting their reputation or not by funding the channel. If it is meeting their aims, then it will be. GB News is also somewhat "cheap" to run, so I'd question the idea that somehow the backers are watching the channel make a loss in fear. I would suspect the loss was already expected and they are planning to fund it for a good amount of time. it was three years to start with I believe so not long to wait and see. The money being spent on a new studio would seem to suggest they want to keep it going.

From a technical and operational perspective, GB news is improving. Every time I watch it, it seems more professional. Opinions and "ideology" and the operations of the channel are two separate things, I feel many are mixing up the two.