Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Kojak - 21-09-2022

(21-09-2022, 10:09 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The money for talent still must be good to attract execs of her calibre.

I'd like to think that GBN hiring these 'mainstream' execs will perhaps lead to some of the more... colourful hosts being shown the door. Certainly, there are at least one or two who have some very... interesting... ideas about the world, which I am not sure are entirely based on fact. I'll put it like this: I don't think they're adding any value to the channel.
(03-09-2022, 01:17 AM)Jon Wrote:  
(03-09-2022, 12:59 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Someone in the scheduling team clearly likes Patrick Christys. He's on from 10am to midday and then again between 3pm and 6pm? Crikey. I'd never even heard of him before he joined GB News.
I wonder if the original plan was to move Brazier back to his original a slot with Mercy and he refused? Hence why Christys is down for six hours. Can’t see them keeping that up long term. 

From what little I have seen, it seems to be guest hosts alongside Mercy. Today was Beverley Turner (ugh).

RE: GB News - all new phil - 21-09-2022

GB News really isn’t as toxic within the industry as some of you here seem to think.

RE: GB News - all new phil - 21-09-2022

(21-09-2022, 11:17 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(21-09-2022, 11:11 PM)all new phil Wrote:  GB News really isn’t as toxic within the industry as some of you here seem to think.

And you know this how? Do you work in the industry? Do you know people in the industry? Or are you just making suppositions because you happen to agree with the agenda espoused by GB News?

None of your business.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 22-09-2022

(21-09-2022, 11:11 PM)all new phil Wrote:  GB News really isn’t as toxic within the industry as some of you here seem to think.

First off, Phil, I would like to apologise for my earlier posts, which were offensive and ill-advised.

As you seem to be somewhat in the know, I'd be interested to know what the general perception of GB News is within the industry, at least from your perspective. Certainly, whilst the daytime output seems fairly benign, some of the evening output seems wild, and not anything you would expect from what claims to be a mainstream news channel. Not naming names, but some programmes seem genuinely toxic.

RE: GB News - all new phil - 22-09-2022

(22-09-2022, 12:07 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(21-09-2022, 11:11 PM)all new phil Wrote:  GB News really isn’t as toxic within the industry as some of you here seem to think.

First off, Phil, I would like to apologise for my earlier posts, which were offensive and ill-advised.

As you seem to be somewhat in the know, I'd be interested to know what the general perception of GB News is within the industry, at least from your perspective. Certainly, whilst the daytime output seems fairly benign, some of the evening output seems wild, and not anything you would expect from what claims to be a mainstream news channel. Not naming names, but some programmes seem genuinely toxic.

Don’t worry about it. I’m not as grumpy as I act

(22-09-2022, 12:07 AM)Kojak Wrote:  

Don’t worry about it. I’m not as grumpy as I act!

I do know a number of people within the industry and they are generally supportive of those who work for GBN, albeit mainly those in the regional reporting roles. That said I think there remains a dislike towards some personalities, or one in particular, but he isn’t the whole channel. Look at Bradley Harris for example - snapped up by Channel 5 and well regarded by people from other broadcasters too.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 22-09-2022

If GBN went for the complete Sky News Australia template which is to provide a daytime service of impartial news and analysis and then the conservative talk output in the evening, that would work better than what they have now.

Clearly they've made some improvements in that area with a more palatable breakfast show and a rolling news block in the early afternoon, but there's still a 10-12 opinion block and the odd positioning of Patrick Christys on 3-6 replacing the more experienced Colin Brazier.

7-midnight seems pretty solid now with Farage, Steyn, Wootton and the Headliners show, but daytime plus Dewbs is still wooden in parts.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 22-09-2022

(22-09-2022, 12:26 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Don’t worry about it. I’m not as grumpy as I act!

I do know a number of people within the industry and they are generally supportive of those who work for GBN, albeit mainly those in the regional reporting roles. That said I think there remains a dislike towards some personalities, or one in particular, but he isn’t the whole channel. Look at Bradley Harris for example - snapped up by Channel 5 and well regarded by people from other broadcasters too.

You're right - there are some very good reporters there, who will no doubt go far (indeed, I'd suggest GBN might be a sort of baptism by fire - as you know, many of the regional reporters have also done their fair share of presenting whilst there).

When you say one particular personality - assuming it is that one - I don't actually have much of a problem with him. I don't necessarily agree with his politics, but he is a decent and accomplished broadcaster. I do have something of a problem with one or two of the other hosts, who seem to be prone to espousing conspiracy theories which I think are often quite dangerous, and I'm not sure have any place on what purports to be a mainstream news channel.

You might find this interesting - a fairly in-depth interview with the CEO, Angelos Frangopoulos, released last week:

https://www.mediamasters.fm/angelos-frangopoulos/ 

RE: GB News - L1_ - 23-09-2022

Former head of ITV daytime Helen Warner is joining GB News as head of television.

I would imagine further changes coming down the line then.

RE: GB News - Alan de Robson - 24-09-2022

(22-09-2022, 12:06 PM)Kojak Wrote:  When you say one particular personality - assuming it is that one - I don't actually have much of a problem with him. I don't necessarily agree with his politics, but he is a decent and accomplished broadcaster. I do have something of a problem with one or two of the other hosts, who seem to be prone to espousing conspiracy theories which I think are often quite dangerous, and I'm not sure have any place on what purports to be a mainstream news channel.

I must admit to not liking Dan Wooton at all when i saw his first night show. I didn't realise that, for many, he came with a bit of a reputation. He was like a hyperactive puppy eager to please in the early days - unwatchable to me.

But, NOW, I do find myself tuning in once or twice a week to watch his show. He's really on top of his presenting game and I like his panellists too, particularly the crack on he has with that Benjamin guy from the i newspaper.

Re conspiracy theories. I am torn on this. I will give any conspiracy theory a listen. The vast majority don't persuade me at all, particularly moon landings, Diana and so on. Not for me. But, just like the banning of RT and Press TV, I don't want others telling me what information/propoganda I should be exposed to. On COVID-19, I am triple jabbed and lockdowns made sense logically to me. But I want to have my views challenged.

That's why GB News is, for me, a valuable addition to the landscape, albeit with its hideous presentation. If they're going after big money names, I would love them to go for James O'Brien to host an hour or two each night. I don't agree with most of his opinions but he's a great presenter and it would be fascinating to see him lock horns with his ideological opponents who are better prepared than most of his callers.

RE: GB News - TVViewer256 - 24-09-2022

Michael Portillo's show appears to begin next Sunday from 10am-midday. Makes tomorrow's 'The Political Correction' the last.