Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 10:29 AM)scottishtv Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 08:05 PM)London Lite Wrote:  echo chamber tv is the new Quiz TV trend we saw in the noughties.
I'd love to see what a hybrid channel would look like!

Guess the Word:
W _ K E

😁

As the creator of Quizmania is a senior producer and guest  at Talk TV, producing the Woke that was,  plank of the week and James Whale  your not as far from reality as you might think..

RE: GB News - Steve in Pudsey - 04-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 07:20 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  The law and Broadcasting Code has been more of less the same since Ofcoms inception. It has the same licence class as Sky News, they just choose to run more regulated News content,  but have run non regulated news shows such as the Pledge and the Climate Show - was that a disgrace too?

Confused as to the issue

I can't quite tell if you are being provocative, obtuse or if you genuinely think that:

A channel showing rolling news coverage with a few features and documentaries as off-peak fillers

and

A channel showing (often unbalanced) discussion and debate with a few minutes of news per hour

are comparable? They are apples and oranges, one just happens to brand itself as the other in its name and strapline to mislead viewers.

Repeatedly telling us that it's ok under ofcom rules isn't the killer argument you think it is; it's a good argument that ofcom's rules aren't fit for purpose. If a channel wants to describe itself as "Britain's News Channel" it has to expect that the average viewer will expect it to be providing impartial news content like every other UK TV news outlet is required to, and that is the standard that the regulator should be holding it to.

RE: GB News - Adsales - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 10:23 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(04-04-2023, 09:12 AM)Adsales Wrote:  Are you really comparing the Pledge with 5 panelists, who clearly state their views and opinions from the outset, and where panelists with differing views are selected on purpose so they can challenge each other and therefore create a "natural" balance, with two Tory MPs interviewing the Tory chancellor entirely avoiding any uncomfortable questions?

Add to that the fact that Ofcom's accepted definition of a current affairs programme is:

[align=center]"A programme which contains explanation and analysis of current events and ideas, including material dealing with political or industrial controversy or with public policy."

[align=left]I don't know if you've actually watched the show in question but neither did it explain nor did it analyse the budget. It was, for all intents and purposes, a party political broadcast presenting the budget proposals as the best thing since sliced bread. Nothing was challenged apart from issues which upset some Tory backbenchers and even those questions ended with Hunt giving responses to placate the backbenchers and to portray a party and government in harmony and unity.

Had he been interviewed by Peston or Kuenssberg then questions based on opposition criticism, opposition proposals; and uncomfortable questions about freezing the income tax thresholds would have been asked, among other things.

So as it stands, we were subjected to a party political broadcast on a channel which has NEWS as part of its name all the while the Treasury was promoting the interview all over social media.

The Sky News Climate show (not sure why you would even bring that up), has always allowed climate change deniers' views, as ridiculous as they are.

Ask yourself this - would E&P do an interview in the same format with Starmer or Yousaf without challenging them and simply letting them portray they views, plans and proposals? Or for that matter, would GB News allow it? I'd say it's pretty clear that the answer is no to both.
[/align]
[/align]
You're looking at it through a lens of how you'd have desired an interview to be done rather than the actual Code obligations for an entertainment show (non regulated news content) Omission of subject matter isn't a 'due impartiality' issue; neither is specific challenge to individual points  It's a broader overall situation that's context dependant. 

Reading the transcripts of the full interview,  it's strikes me that Hunt was challenged, but from a right wing Tory perspective on taxation rather than a more balanced range of  challenging questions.  However the angle of questioning isn't an Ofcom issue.

I personally think having two Tory MPs host a show of that format is difficult to keep compliant with the applicable code [for general entertainment programming] certainty would fail if it was News content, and there's muddier waters here in that the MPs claimed in HoC payments declaration that their show is News. It's also a poor show that's expensive and underperform the channel, however that's not the issue.

GB News may be at risk of a rule breach with that edition of the show,  and that's what our independent regulatory body is their for; its a quasi judicial process that's evidence led.

The Pledge and Climate Show are raised simply to show that they aren't content to which Ofcom would apply  regulated News classifications; and  there is no such thing as a 'news channel' licence in the UK. You list reasons why the Pledge was different, but from a regulatory perspective it existed as an entertainment show.

Ofcoms governing laws and codes are pretty much the same since its early 00s inception; I'm pointing out to the poster these facts and asking why its a disgrace, when the regulation is constant.

Oh  and the fact that Sky's Climate show has some opposing views doesn't make it news,  it simply has to obay the DUE impartiality rules in same way  any other broadcast content does.

The Code applies to licensees full stop. For national TV and radio services, news programming must follow rules 5.1 to 5.3, all programming must follow rules 5.4 to 5.12 as soon as it deals with "matters of [color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]political or industrial controversy or with current public policy".[/font][/color]

Rule 5.5 requires due impartiality.

Look at the Ofcom bulletin as to why Dorries' interview with Johnson met the expected requirements (e.g. panelists with differing views, Dorries disagreeing with Johnson, others disagreeing with what Johnson said, the programme covering more than just Johnson etc.).

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/256361/April-2023-Standards-Decision-Talk-TV.pdf 

Based on its assessment, Ofcom saw no potential breach and therefore decided not to investigate further.

E&P's interview of Hunt on the other hand is being investigated because there are reasons to believe that due impartiality as required under rule 5.5 was not upheld.

RE: GB News - Stockland Hillman - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 02:06 PM)Adsales Wrote:  
(04-04-2023, 10:23 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  You're looking at it through a lens of how you'd have desired an interview to be done rather than the actual Code obligations for an entertainment show (non regulated news content) Omission of subject matter isn't a 'due impartiality' issue; neither is specific challenge to individual points  It's a broader overall situation that's context dependant. 

Reading the transcripts of the full interview,  it's strikes me that Hunt was challenged, but from a right wing Tory perspective on taxation rather than a more balanced range of  challenging questions.  However the angle of questioning isn't an Ofcom issue.

I personally think having two Tory MPs host a show of that format is difficult to keep compliant with the applicable code [for general entertainment programming] certainty would fail if it was News content, and there's muddier waters here in that the MPs claimed in HoC payments declaration that their show is News. It's also a poor show that's expensive and underperform the channel, however that's not the issue.

GB News may be at risk of a rule breach with that edition of the show,  and that's what our independent regulatory body is their for; its a quasi judicial process that's evidence led.

The Pledge and Climate Show are raised simply to show that they aren't content to which Ofcom would apply  regulated News classifications; and  there is no such thing as a 'news channel' licence in the UK. You list reasons why the Pledge was different, but from a regulatory perspective it existed as an entertainment show.

Ofcoms governing laws and codes are pretty much the same since its early 00s inception; I'm pointing out to the poster these facts and asking why its a disgrace, when the regulation is constant.

Oh  and the fact that Sky's Climate show has some opposing views doesn't make it news,  it simply has to obay the DUE impartiality rules in same way  any other broadcast content does.

The Code applies to licensees full stop. For national TV and radio services, news programming must follow rules 5.1 to 5.3, all programming must follow rules 5.4 to 5.12 as soon as it deals with "matters of [color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]political or industrial controversy or with current public policy".[/font][/color]

Rule 5.5 requires due impartiality.

Look at the Ofcom bulletin as to why Dorries' interview with Johnson met the expected requirements (e.g. panelists with differing views, Dorries disagreeing with Johnson, others disagreeing with what Johnson said, the programme covering more than just Johnson etc.).

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/256361/April-2023-Standards-Decision-Talk-TV.pdf 

Based on its assessment, Ofcom saw no potential breach and therefore decided not to investigate further.

E&P's interview of Hunt on the other hand is being investigated because there are reasons to believe that due impartiality as required under rule 5.5 was not upheld.
I always welcome replies that repeat exactly what I've written,  but with more words. Do you think I've written something different? 

The fact the shows format is flawed and risks breaching the code was explained; as was the fact due impartiality applies to all content.

Am I missing your point of difference to mine?

As to Sky News and GB News, no they aren't comparable content,  Sky chooses on its licence to run extended News  formats that fall into traditional regulatory ideas on News standards. They choose to deviate less often than GB News; while GB News is the reverse,  topical entertainment content (similar to Vine, Loose Women etc)  with short traditional News bulletins. But they are indisputably the same legal licence class - which is the crux of the issue.

It's VERY telling that these simple facts are so triggering for some here, any 'defence' is viewed as unacceptable.   Hilariously,  im regularly insulting GB News content as 'entertainment' and comparable to daytime fayre like Loose Women  - definitely NOT what those working there like to think;  which is why McVey and hubby entered 'news' on MPs register of interests,  rather pompously.

It's also telling that posting impartial reviews like the one by Press Gazette get low engagement on here,  but Guardian hit pieces etc trigger all the likes.

RE: GB News - London Lite - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 01:51 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Repeatedly telling us that it's ok under ofcom rules isn't the killer argument you think it is; it's a good argument that ofcom's rules aren't fit for purpose. If a channel wants to describe itself as "Britain's News Channel" it has to expect that the average viewer will expect it to be providing impartial news content like every other UK TV news outlet is required to, and that is the standard that the regulator should be holding it to.

I think they need to be clearer about presenters who are actually voicing their own opinion rather than some viewers assuming that GB News is a factual news channel by adding a disclaimer at the start of each non-news programme. It's not a get out of jail card, but gives viewers the ability to make their own minds up if they believe what a presenter is saying.

Talk TV seems to have got more of a balance by actually adding opposing opinions on the prime-time tv shows which is why the interview with Boris with Nadine Dorries passed the threshold.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 06-04-2023

This made me laugh when someone sent it to me this afternoon - from the GB "News" website - a mini heatwave is on the way apparently

https://www.gbnews.com/weather/uk-weather-mini-heatwave-to-strike-temperature-surge-latest-forecast-april-2023 

Now, they tried to scare the crap out of their viewers by telling them that huge snow was on the way, especially for Easter, and now Easter is nearly here, we are actually in the midst of very mild weather.

So, they now turn to the summer scare of heatwave - how does GB "News" ever want to get credibility when they design their website like this, filled with nonsense stories which amount to nothing.

They have decided to use the newspaper website approach to their website, and it is appalling. Scare mongering and they love it.

RE: GB News - Jon - 10-04-2023

It seems Alex Phillips made a surprise return to GB News this weekend as the guest panellist on The Saturday Five, certainly not someone I expected to turn up on the channel anytime soon.

I know she had started to appear on Talk TV as a regular panellist over the last couple of months.

Also saw a bit of Steve N Allen host a bit of the Mark Dolan programme yesterday, was refreshing to see one of these programmes presented by someone calm and measured but also witty.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 16-04-2023

I just remembered, isn't John Cleese suppose to have his own show on GB News? Has that deal fallen down the drain, as I have not heard anything about it, and it is now mid April 2023.

I wonder if he has bottled out, realising GB News is Fox News for Britain, and he wants to keep at least a tiny bit of dignity. Once you join GB News, you are tainted forever.

RE: GB News - Kojak - 17-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 11:27 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I just remembered, isn't John Cleese suppose to have his own show on GB News? Has that deal fallen down the drain, as I have not heard anything about it, and it is now mid April 2023.

I wonder if he has bottled out, realising GB News is Fox News for Britain, and he wants to keep at least a tiny bit of dignity. Once you join GB News, you are tainted forever.
Apparently he appeared on Andrew Doyle's show only yesterday, so presumably the project is still happening.

RE: GB News - bilky asko - 17-04-2023

(17-04-2023, 12:51 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 11:27 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I just remembered, isn't John Cleese suppose to have his own show on GB News? Has that deal fallen down the drain, as I have not heard anything about it, and it is now mid April 2023.

Apparently he appeared on Andrew Doyle's show only yesterday, so presumably the project is still happening.

He swore three times in a row as well. It seems to be his shtick these days.