Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - freeview87 - 03-05-2023

Dan Wootton opened the 8pm hour, after the news, with rolling coverage. Dan was ok in that role, surprisingly.

RE: GB News - LargelyALurker - 03-05-2023

(03-05-2023, 03:13 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(03-05-2023, 02:56 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Handled it well by staying put once being told to evacuate? I know he's not primarily a broadcaster but it's very unprofessional and put both them and their crew at risk.

Incidently where were they? Is that portacabin where GB News is going to be presenting their coronation coverage from?
No different to the way Tom Bradby handled ITV News at Ten's fire alarm or the various times Channel 4 News had to evacuate because of similar instances at Gray's Inn Road over the years.

Did Tom receive criticism for sitting through a report while the alarm was going off and then evacuate whilst in vision? No.

GB News does get a lot of flack, sometimes rightly, but I can't see how JRM could've handled it any better. When he was told to evacuate he calmly wrapped up the show and handed back to the studio, where I believe Nigel Farage picked up. (There's literally 15 seconds cut out of that clip linked above).

https://youtu.be/bQ6hpFnYZVs 

There's a difference and it certainly wasn't a 'few seconds'.

- At '00:00' in the Twitter clip, JRM says 'the police are live with us now, telling us we've got to evacuate' (rest of sentence is inaudible as his guest talks over him). 
- At 00:13 an explosion is heard as he says 'good evening'
(This is where he should probably have left the studio and followed police orders)
- At '00:20' he is questioning whether they still need to evacuate as the explosion has happened 
- At '00:22' someone off-camera confirms they still need to evacuate.
(This is where he definitely should have left the studio)
- At '00:28' contrary to police orders, he remains in the studio and is talking in Latin...
- At '00:35' his guest is questioning the police, talking about 'overreaction' and at 1:07 says 'I want to see a policeman here telling us we cannot broadcast' (this is despite them being told by someone off-air 1:07 and firmly 45 seconds ago that they have to evacuate)
- At 1:14 JRM invites 'someone to come and tell us' (again, despite them clearly having been told over a minute ago now)
- At 1:22 JRM and his guests are saying that they need to be told 'officially'
- At 1:30 the guest asks for a police officer to present themselves (implication is on-camera? not totally clear)
- At 1:33 someone off-air reiterates, with some urgency in the voice, that they have to leave now
- At 1:37 they still do not leave, the guest asks 'what is the order'
- At 1:39 someone off-air confirms the order is that they go off air
- At 1:41 JRM begins to wrap up
- At 1:48 JRM finishes speaking as Dan Wooton appears in split screen

This is 1:48 since they were first told to leave and 1:26 since it was confirmed. I'm sorry, but that's effectively disobeying police orders and in a situation where following those orders should have been paramount. Had the people ignoring the police been other groups of people, JRM et al would have something to say.

RE: GB News - Stooky Bill - 03-05-2023

Even if they weren't told before the start of the clip they would have been aware they might need to leave. The incident had been under way a while and they were planning a controlled explosion. They don't just decide to do a controlled explosion a few seconds before they do it, neither do they do it without spending some time clearing the area first. At the start of the clip they were already debating whether they needed to or not. It was only when someone came into the hut and explicitly told them that they finally wrapped it up.

It's not the same as Tom Bradbury, TV studios have proper fire systems with staged alerts. He was acting on information from the gallery and ITNs facilities management. JRM was on OB in some sort of shed. Judging by how loud the explosion was it was in the immediate area of Buckingham Palace so lots of police and security presence to tell them what to do

If you're on an OB and police move you on, you move on. No questions. You don't give excuses like 'it's ok I've worked in war zones' or 'the explosion has happened now, do we still need to evacuate?' Can you imagine that happening on any other channel?

If anything it's a good demonstration of his sense of privilege - 'no no no that order to evacuate isn't for me, that's for normal people'

RE: GB News - Matrix - 03-05-2023

(03-05-2023, 04:17 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Presumably they were told to evacuate before the controlled explosion. They don't just decide to do a controlled explosion a few seconds before they do it, neither do they do it without spending some time clearing the area first. At the start of the clip they were already debating whether they needed to or not. It was only when someone came into the hut and explicitly told them that they finally wrapped it up.

It's not the same as Tom Bradbury, TV studios have proper fire systems with staged alerts. He was acting on information from the gallery and ITNs facilities management. JRM was on OB in some sort of shed. Judging by how loud the explosion was it was in the immediate area of Buckingham Palace so lots of police and security presence to tell them what to do

If you're on an OB and police move you on, you move on. No questions. You don't give excuses like 'it's ok I've worked in war zones' or 'the explosion has happened now, do we still need to evacuate?' Can you imagine that happening on any other channel?

If anything it's a good demonstration of his sense of privilege - 'no no no that order to evacuate isn't for me, that's for normal people'
I think it's also a good example of where good production would (should) come in. Clearly there wasn't a producer empowered enough to shut JRM and his odious guest down; typically speaking the producer is the one responsible for health and safety and it shouldn't ever really be a case that a presenter is calling the shots and acting in such a dangerous way.

RE: GB News - aaron_scotland - 03-05-2023

(03-05-2023, 04:17 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  If anything it's a good demonstration of his sense of privilege - 'no no no that order to evacuate isn't for me, that's for normal people'

Nail on the head there. To want a police officer to directly come to him and tell just him he needs to move... its insane.

RE: GB News - gottago - 03-05-2023

(03-05-2023, 04:17 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Even if they weren't told before the start of the clip they would have been aware they might need to leave. The incident had been under way a while and they were planning a  controlled explosion. They don't just decide to do a controlled explosion a few seconds before they do it, neither do they do it without spending some time clearing the area first. At the start of the clip they were already debating whether they needed to or not. It was only when someone came into the hut and explicitly told them that they finally wrapped it up.

I'm surprised he didn't exercise his "common sense" and flee given his comments in the past.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50302573 

RE: GB News - Adsales - 04-05-2023

(03-05-2023, 03:13 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(03-05-2023, 02:56 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Handled it well by staying put once being told to evacuate? I know he's not primarily a broadcaster but it's very unprofessional and put both them and their crew at risk.

Incidently where were they? Is that portacabin where GB News is going to be presenting their coronation coverage from?
No different to the way Tom Bradby handled ITV News at Ten's fire alarm or the various times Channel 4 News had to evacuate because of similar instances at Gray's Inn Road over the years.

Did Tom receive criticism for sitting through a report while the alarm was going off and then evacuate whilst in vision? No.

GB News does get a lot of flack, sometimes rightly, but I can't see how JRM could've handled it any better. When he was told to evacuate he calmly wrapped up the show and handed back to the studio, where I believe Nigel Farage picked up. (There's literally 15 seconds cut out of that clip linked above).

https://youtu.be/bQ6hpFnYZVs 

It seems you don't have a clue about fire evacuation procedures. In any event a fire alarm in a big building is something significantly different to police officers telling people to evacuate an area right next to (a) potentially dangerous device(s) and where a controlled explosion will be attempted.

RE: GB News - BBI45 - 09-05-2023

https://twitter.com/tvukzone/status/1655871273703014400?t=qawzrGuJxXX-eVW27ZfUIw&s=19 

RE: GB News - matthieu1221 - 09-05-2023

Just a slap on the wrist then.

RE: GB News - Newshound47 - 10-05-2023

Carol McGrffin to become a regular after her appearance?