Pres Café
GB News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GB News (/showthread.php?tid=29)

RE: GB News - bilky asko - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 08:08 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 07:00 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Who would be liable? The guest of course, but would the channel itself be liable to a suit?

Both. It's why - for example - if you tune into paper reviews on other channels, if a paper has been foolhardy enough to publish something libelous (or legally contentious, without right-of-reply to the person concerned), not only would the panel not be allowed to discuss it, the channel wouldn't run it at all - even as part of a summary - because any utterance of a libel (even a presenter saying: "Paper X claims this") would - if it were proven to be libelous - constitute a fresh instance of libel. 

Were a misjudgment to be made or a guest were to "go rogue" and say what they wanted against the instruction of producers, both the channel and the guest would be held liable.

It's why producers of such programmes have to be VERY careful.
In addition, to quote myself from another thread:

(22-05-2023, 04:05 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  It's important to note that retweets and embeds of a defamatory tweet can be actionable.

RE: GB News - Andrew - 25-05-2023

I’m sure if some did libel Schofield on his show, Dan would be beside himself with excitement, and worry about the consequences later.

I notice he’s still going on about Schofield on his show tonight plus he’s now demanding Gary Lineker is sacked as well.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 09:08 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I’m sure if some did libel Schofield on his show, Dan would be beside himself with excitement, and worry about the consequences later.

I notice he’s still going on about Schofield on his show tonight plus he’s now demanding Gary Lineker is sacked as well.

Why Lineker? What has he done now? The term "BBC" seems to set off a nuclear reaction inside Dan, whether this reaction is the real Dan, I sincerely doubt, I feel he is simply throwing red meat to his GB "News" viewers.

RE: GB News - Andrew - 25-05-2023

JMT1985 Wrote:
Andrew Wrote:I’m sure if some did libel Schofield on his show, Dan would be beside himself with excitement, and worry about the consequences later.

Why Lineker? What has he done now? The term "BBC" seems to set off a nuclear reaction inside Dan, whether this reaction is the real Dan, I sincerely doubt, I feel he is simply throwing red meat to his GB "News" viewers.

He’s been giving his opinion on government policy again on “left wing Channel 4 News” as Dan would call it

I’ve never paid much attention to GB News before, I’m shocked who they get every night in his “super star panel”, tonight he had Lady C from I’m a Celeb giving her opinion during the daily Harry and Meagan section tonight. 

Where else can you see Jim Davidson, Jim McDonald from Corrie and Lady C on the bill in the same week?!

RE: GB News - Studio7 - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 11:23 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
JMT1985 Wrote:Why Lineker? What has he done now? The term "BBC" seems to set off a nuclear reaction inside Dan, whether this reaction is the real Dan, I sincerely doubt, I feel he is simply throwing red meat to his GB "News" viewers.

He’s been giving his opinion on government policy again on “left wing Channel 4 News” as Dan would call it

I’ve never paid much attention to GB News before, I’m shocked who they get every night in his “super star panel”, tonight he had Lady C from I’m a Celeb giving her opinion during the daily Harry and Meagan section tonight. 

Where else can you see Jim Davidson, Jim McDonald from Corrie and Lady C on the bill in the same week?!
Lady C was on Dan's show in the very first week of GB News, when she brought her dog to the studio and infamously 'corrected' Dan about Jeffrey Epstein being a paedophile.

RE: GB News - lepeterrr - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 11:23 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
JMT1985 Wrote:Why Lineker? What has he done now? The term "BBC" seems to set off a nuclear reaction inside Dan, whether this reaction is the real Dan, I sincerely doubt, I feel he is simply throwing red meat to his GB "News" viewers.

"...Only on GB News, the peoples channel. Britain's News Channel"

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 26-05-2023

Oh yes, I forgot Dan hates Channel 4 News too, even though unlike BBC News, Channel 4 is not publicly funded, but he still goes after it. He was all for privatising Channel 4, but of course I bet he had no idea how Channel 4 is funded, just like a certain former Culture secretary, who in a committee actually said Channel 4 received public money, and had to be corrected by a MP.

RE: GB News - KrazyKei - 26-05-2023

The fact that Channel 4 is owned by HM Government is what Dan is mainly complaining about. He is a capitalist who believes that Government should own nothing. Nothing to do with funding in this case.

RE: GB News - JMT1985 - 26-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 11:39 AM)KrazyKei Wrote:  The fact that Channel 4 is owned by HM Government is what Dan is mainly complaining about. He is a capitalist who believes that Government should own nothing. Nothing to do with funding in this case.
He also seems to not to understand that just because Channel 4 is government owned, doesn't mean it costs the government anything. Someone once said the current Channel 4 funding model is like you owning a house, but all the bills are paid by the person living there, you just own the property, all the upkeep is left with someone else. Surely that way of working would be attractive to the right wingers?

RE: GB News - alfiejmulcahy - 26-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 01:10 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 11:39 AM)KrazyKei Wrote:  The fact that Channel 4 is owned by HM Government is what Dan is mainly complaining about. He is a capitalist who believes that Government should own nothing. Nothing to do with funding in this case.
He also seems to not to understand that just because Channel 4 is government owned, doesn't mean it costs the government anything. Someone once said the current Channel 4 funding model is like you owning a house, but all the bills are paid by the person living there, you just own the property, all the upkeep is left with someone else. Surely that way of working would be attractive to the right wingers?
And indeed, it was Margaret Thatchers government that created Channel 4 as a publisher broadcaster.