Pres Café
BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News (/showthread.php?tid=310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - RhysJR - 13-12-2023

(13-12-2023, 06:36 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  BBC Wales Today extended to one hour from 18:30 until 19:30 tonight on BBC1 Wales, because of the resignation of Mark Drakeford. The One Show moves to BBC2 Wales as a result. I wonder if ITV News Cymru Wales and S4C Newyddion will also be extended to cover his resignation?

Wales at Six was not extended.

Newyddion at 7:30 looks like it is extended by five minutes (with the short bulletin just before 9pm not in today's schedule). S4C are also repeating the 'Prif Weinidog mewn Pandemig' doccumentary that followed Mark Drakeford during the 2020/21 autumn and winter at 10pm.

By coincidence, the final episode of the year of ITV Wales' political magazine show Sharp End aired on Monday and featured an interview with Drakeford admitting he won't be in his role in a year's time.
https://www.itv.com/walesprogrammes/articles/sharp-end-december-11th-2023 

Though not expected, I didn't see any newsflashes on BBC One or BBC Two Wales during their broadcasts this morning.

BBC Radio Wales broke the story with a 30 second hit from their newsreader at around 11:18 and then it was the main topic of the news focused phone-in at midday.

Radio Cymru took the speech live at 11:10, interrupting the song that had just started, returning to Sian Cothi's programme at 11:19.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - Brekkie - 13-12-2023

I don't think there is much to add to the story which warrants extending bulletins - it had been know for a long time he would go and the interview on Monday put him under pressure to put a date on it.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - RhysJR - 13-12-2023

(13-12-2023, 08:03 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I don't think there is much to add to the story which warrants extending bulletins - it had been know for a long time he would go and the interview on Monday put him under pressure to put a date on it.

I broadly agree, especially with what the Welsh news agenda was by 6pm with not much other noteworthy news. But, although I haven't seen the full programme yet, Wales Today covered the news in depth though not dragging out too much, having live interviews with both opposition leaders, a former Labour colleague and the BBC Wales political editor, as well as a chance to air a ten minute interview with Drakeford himself recorded today. This left 20 minutes or so to cover the rest of the day's news.
In a way, it is a shame that BBC Wales Live has finished for the year and is not airing tonight, as most of that additional interviews and discussion could have been ideal for that programme, and wouldn't need to affect the main BBC One Wales schedule.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - lookoutwales - 14-12-2023

Don't think we've ever seen the Nations do a newsflash, have we? (nor Newyddion, for that matter)

That said, do we know if S4C broke into Cyw for a newsflash? (their first scheduled bulletin was at midday)

Bit surprising how both radio networks handled it - Radio Cymru, in particular, happy to carry what was a mostly English speech, but they probably did it best (their newsreader did a 2-way with one of their breakfast presenters afterwards before returning to 'Bore Cothi')

Quite how it would have been handled before 11am would have been interesting as Radio Cymru is split into two in the morning (and you'll hear quite a lot more English on Radio Cymru 2 - that much is true)

In hindsight, it was all expected yet felt unexpected - Drakeford had always committed to five years as FM, yet it still took a lot of people by surprise.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - RhysJR - 14-12-2023

(14-12-2023, 01:14 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Don't think we've ever seen the Nations do a newsflash, have we? (nor Newyddion, for that matter)

That said, do we know if S4C broke into Cyw for a newsflash? (their first scheduled bulletin was at midday)

Bit surprising how both radio networks handled it - Radio Cymru, in particular, happy to carry what was a mostly English speech, but they probably did it best (their newsreader did a 2-way with one of their breakfast presenters afterwards before returning to 'Bore Cothi')

Quite how it would have been handled before 11am would have been interesting as Radio Cymru is split into two in the morning (and you'll hear quite a lot more English on Radio Cymru 2 - that much is true)

In hindsight, it was all expected yet felt unexpected - Drakeford had always committed to five years as FM, yet it still took a lot of people by surprise.

I thought NI or Scotland had done a newsflash recently, but looking back through here and TVLF I was mistaken (looks like they just had an extended bulletin for the death of David Trimble in July 2022 and a prompt to switch to the News Channel, simulcasted on BBC Scotland, for the resignation of Nicola Sturgeon on BBC One Scotland earlier this year).

I forgot to check S4C this morning when I was checking how it unfolded on iPlayer. Though like Radio Wales, they had a bulletin at 12 so I doubt they would have felt the need to interrupt the current non-news programme when they could cover it in detail 40 minutes later (especially with that being children's programming).

I'd agree that the Radio Cymru approach was the better strategy this morning.
I do feel Radio Wales have been more relectant to interrupt regular programming. I remember when the men's football team played in the China Cup, the football was covered on MW with DAB/FM sticking to the scheduled programme; I was expecting them to be like Radio 5 Live and have goal updates during the non-sport programme but they didn't mention it at all apart from the TOTH bulletins. They did air the COVID briefings on Radio Wales almost every day at peak, with the drive presenter joining the host of the scheduled programme either side, but apart from that I can't remeber them opting out of the schedule and the scheduled genre all that much.

It was weird how out of the blue it was today. I was personally expecting nothing to happen until afte rthe general ection but for whatever reason it happened today. Even when it happened today seemed a bit of a shock, as demonstarted by the sudden pot out by Radio Cymru joining the speech a little late. I wonder if we will get any additional programming between now and the time voting closes? Looking back there were debates broadcast from the SNP leadership election near the start of the year, but I would imagine if there would be similar for Welsh Labour (and there probably should be) they won't get into primetime and would happily be part of BBC Wales Live, Sharp End and S4C's current affairs strand (Pawb a'i Farn the most obvious candidate).

Despite them almost overlapping, both Newyddion and Wales Today got to use the main studio this evening. Both shows were primarily hosted from outside the Senedd which meant there was around half an hour like normal between the studio appearing on either channel. I guess there was an event or something on inside the Senedd this evening which meant all three bulletin had lives from outside rather than in the warmth; luckily it wasn't the coldest of evenings today. As ever there was slight amusement that Adrian Masters was stairing right towards the building that houses ITV Cymru Wales during his live from the Senedd.

To answer my own question from a few weeks ago, Newsline has a sign language translator for the summary at the end of its lunchtime bulletins. Somehow on TVLF I answered almost the exact question I asked here and that has completely slipped my mind.

https://www.tvliveforum.com/showthread.php?tid=60&page=3 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001tfdq/bbc-newsline-lunchtime-news-13122023 

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - what - 14-12-2023

Think they need to fix the camera that zooms into the screens for weather and at the open - it's shaking quite a bit when it's moving.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - Brekkie - 14-12-2023

(14-12-2023, 01:14 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Don't think we've ever seen the Nations do a newsflash, have we? (nor Newyddion, for that matter)

Newyddion must have done them for major national and international events, but for this story breaking at 11.18am if they have a bulletin at 12noon I don't think a newsflash is warranted. A bit different with the speech stations as it's content for them. I doubt the Global stations ran anything before the midday bulletin. I was travelling a bit yesterday with Radio 1 on - it wasn't mentioned in the headlines of the main 12.45 Newsbeat bulletin (I did switch stations after that though), but led the afternoon summaries.

Arguably a politician confirming the date of his long announced resignation isn't too significant, especially when not linked to a scandal. If it had been a busier day it would have likely dropped down the running order.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - lookoutwales - 14-12-2023

(14-12-2023, 12:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Newyddion must have done them for major national and international events, but for this story breaking at 11.18am if they have a bulletin at 12noon I don't think a newsflash is warranted. A bit different with the speech stations as it's content for them. I doubt the Global stations ran anything before the midday bulletin. I was travelling a bit yesterday with Radio 1 on - it wasn't mentioned in the headlines of the main 12.45 Newsbeat bulletin (I did switch stations after that though), but led the afternoon summaries.

IRN (Sky) certainly led with Drakeford at midday and 1, before moving onto COP28 later in the afternoon.

I can recall Newyddion breaking in to programming - think it was at the break point in the latter case - to go into obituary mode for Prince Philip and The Queen.

But that aside, I can't recall Newyddion ever running a newsflash - indeed, it wasn't that long ago that the most you could expect day-by-day was the main programme and a short bulletin somewhere in the evening.

One other thing RE Radio Wales - somewhat ironically, Rob Phillips was sitting in for Wynne Evans yesterday so would have been quite well placed to handle the breaking news. But they were locked into a 'Happy Hour' phone-in feature - and persisted with a song and a call before Peter Gillibrand finally chipped in with an improvised update.

Doesn't exactly give confidence to their news output when Radio Cymru were prepared and go with it there and then.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - RhysJR - 14-12-2023

Back to S4C's troubled executives, and more detail about the allegations against chair Rhodri Williams. We're obviously on the outside, but it is a little hard to grasp the difference between the treatment of Williams and Siân Doyle.

https://twitter.com/WillHayCardiff/status/1735211937795858510?t=abdfYlf3kRbkPNTRDe0HGg&s=19 

(14-12-2023, 12:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Arguably a politician confirming the date of his long announced resignation isn't too significant, especially when not linked to a scandal. If it had been a busier day it would have likely dropped down the running order.

Quite true. I do wonder if he announced this 24 hours prior would it even be the lead story in Wales over the fatal bus crash in the Valleys.

(14-12-2023, 12:30 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  IRN (Sky) certainly led with Drakeford at midday and 1, before moving onto COP28 later in the afternoon.

I can recall Newyddion breaking in to programming - think it was at the break point in the latter case - to go into obituary mode for Prince Philip and The Queen.

But that aside, I can't recall Newyddion ever running a newsflash - indeed, it wasn't that long ago that the most you could expect day-by-day was the main programme and a short bulletin somewhere in the evening.

One other thing RE Radio Wales - somewhat ironically, Rob Phillips was sitting in for Wynne Evans yesterday so would have been quite well placed to handle the breaking news. But they were locked into a 'Happy Hour' phone-in feature - and persisted with a song and a call before Peter Gillibrand finally chipped in with an improvised update.

Doesn't exactly give confidence to their news output when Radio Cymru were prepared and go with it there and then.

Their Prince Phillip interuption was quite late as well IIRC - around 12:45? I certainly remember the S4C Newyddion or BBC Cymru Fyw app notification being a good five to ten minutes later than the others I received that day.

How was the resignation of Carwyn Jones covered? I think that was quite unexpected and had a whiff of controversy following the sacking and then death of Carl Sargent. I was away that day, so didn't hear or see the news to around 5pm so missed how it was covered at the time.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - JACKLUFC1998 - 14-12-2023

(14-12-2023, 12:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Newyddion must have done them for major national and international events, but for this story breaking at 11.18am if they have a bulletin at 12noon I don't think a newsflash is warranted. A bit different with the speech stations as it's content for them. I doubt the Global stations ran anything before the midday bulletin. I was travelling a bit yesterday with Radio 1 on - it wasn't mentioned in the headlines of the main 12.45 Newsbeat bulletin (I did switch stations after that though), but led the afternoon summaries.

Arguably a politician confirming the date of his long announced resignation isn't too significant, especially when not linked to a scandal. If it had been a busier day it would have likely dropped down the running order.

Did S4C break into programming on 9/11? Or did they just have an extended Newyddion on that day? I recall reading on the TV Forum website that the Newyddion studio that on that night's Newyddion, rather than having a backdrop of Cardiff Bay, the backdrop was of New York with the collapsed Twin Towers.