Pres Café
BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News (/showthread.php?tid=310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - RhysJR - 16-01-2024

Rhodri Williams has announced that he will not serve a second term as S4C Chair, effectively leaving the role in March.

https://nation.cymru/news/rhodri-williams-to-leave-as-chair-of-s4c-in-march/ 

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - lookoutwales - 26-01-2024

Another example of ITV Wales' versatility with their single studio at Assembly Square - this is from Y Byd yn ei Le (The World in Its Place), their weekly S4C political programme which usually airs in peak on Thursdays (it went out at 10pm tonight due to live FA Cup football)

Years ago, when they were still based at Culverhouse Cross, HTV / ITV Wales used to house a small studio and newsroom in Crickhowell House (the original setting of the Welsh Assembly) which was primarily used for 'Waterfront' (before it relaunched as Sharp End)

The studio's long gone, of course, although I think they still have an office within the Senedd infrastructure, even though their HQ is a mere 2-3 minute walk away.

One other note - Newyddion went out at 7pm and with Wales Today occupying its usual slot and setting, they decamped to the small virtual studio at Central Square.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - Stockland Hillman - 26-01-2024

(26-01-2024, 12:31 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Another example of ITV Wales' versatility with their single studio at Assembly Square - this is from Y Byd yn ei Le (The World in Its Place), their weekly S4C political programme which usually airs in peak on Thursdays (it went out at 10pm tonight due to live FA Cup football)

Years ago, when they were still based at Culverhouse Cross, HTV / ITV Wales used to house a small studio and newsroom in Crickhowell House (the original setting of the Welsh Assembly) which was primarily used for 'Waterfront' (before it relaunched as Sharp End)

The studio's long gone, of course, although I think they still have an office within the Senedd infrastructure, even though their HQ is a mere 2-3 minute walk away.

One other note - Newyddion went out at 7pm and with Wales Today occupying its usual slot and setting, they decamped to the small virtual studio at Central Square.

They clearly have production talent at ITV Cymru Wales, so it's inexplicable why Wales at Six is so poorly done - limited shots, bad framing, baggy direction/cue/cuts.

Perhaps it's just rubbish editorial management that sets expectations so low, which is a shame as they often do fantastic journalism piece by piece, wrecked by dire programme producing with dreary story after dreary story like its production week at Uni Journalism school. The single anchor format doesn't help.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - lookoutwales - 26-01-2024

(26-01-2024, 01:39 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Perhaps it's just rubbish editorial management that sets expectations so low, which is a shame as they often do fantastic journalism piece by piece, wrecked by dire programme producing with dreary story after dreary story like its production week at Uni Journalism school. The single anchor format doesn't help.

I don't know if this is telling but there seems to be a fair bit of turnover among editorial roles at ITV Wales (although Jonathan has been in management for some years now)

Admittedly, the programme can feel like its dragging from time to time.

I notice Ruth tends to get a bit of extended airtime as well, sometimes introducing a story herself (be it from studio or as an OB) just before the weather.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - Stockland Hillman - 27-01-2024

(26-01-2024, 03:11 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  I don't know if this is telling but there seems to be a fair bit of turnover among editorial roles at ITV Wales (although Jonathan has been in management for some years now)

Admittedly, the programme can feel like its dragging from time to time.

I notice Ruth tends to get a bit of extended airtime as well, sometimes introducing a story herself (be it from studio or as an OB) just before the weather.

It's bizarre. Wales is a nation, has a primary law making parliament , stand alone NHS and education service so the news bulletins should be rich with content, and warm cultural and human stories. Instead it's every self interested charity/activist tales of woe filling the main 6pm show; apparent reluctance to challange the Labour government that's been in power 20 plus years.

Granada Reports fits into the ITV News format and I assume budget, yet is streets ahead in newsy content - it's very warm watchable compared to Wales at Six which as said can be a chore to watch; I saw Wednesdays on ITVX and was surprised how poor it was.

Such a waste, they do have some great talent there but its lost in a sea of badly produced dirge.

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - London Lite - 27-01-2024

(27-01-2024, 12:31 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  It's bizarre. Wales is a nation, has a primary law making parliament , stand alone NHS and education service so the news bulletins should be rich with content, and warm cultural and human stories. Instead it's every self interested charity/activist tales of woe filling the main 6pm show; apparent reluctance to challange the Labour government that's been in power 20 plus years.

Granada Reports fits into the ITV News format and I assume budget, yet is streets ahead in newsy content - it's very warm watchable compared to Wales at Six which as said can be a chore to watch; I saw Wednesdays on ITVX and was surprised how poor it was.

Such a waste, they do have some great talent there but its lost in a sea of badly produced dirge.

The best comparison would be UTV Live. Another ITV News Group production which feels like a national bulletin for Northern Ireland which features newsy stories rather than something along the lines of "South Wales + Wrexham and a token story from the North Wales Coast Tonight"

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - RhysJR - 29-01-2024

Not sure if this ITV Wales interview branding is genius or otherwise.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1752011029448425472/Kx53Emcs?format=jpg&name=900x900 

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2024-01-29/candidate-to-be-next-first-minister-says-public-profile-isnt-everything 

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - RhysJR - 01-02-2024

A bit of an abrupt ending to ITV Wales at Six.

The weather forecast ran as normal, then the ad bumper, then it went straight to the ITV 1 sting and the pre-national news ad break. Usually it would return to the studio after the weather for a brief sum up from Ruth and the headlines and good-bye from the presenter, but that was all lost today. I presume they overran (ironic if so as Ruth said she should fill before the forecast because it was a bit boring).

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - RhysJR - 05-02-2024

Lorna Pritchard joins BBC Wales News as Culture Correspondent.

I don't think that role currently exists, but likely an indirect replacement for Huw Thomas, who left the arts & media correspondent role during COVID and is now business correspondent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2024/bbc-cymru-wales-appoints-new-culture-correspondent 

RE: BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News - lookoutwales - 09-02-2024

The first - and so far, only - broadcast debate in the Welsh Labour leadership contest's been announced.

It will take the form of a hour-long BBC Wales Live special (in front of a studio audience) on Wednesday 21st February at 9pm on BBC1.

Radio Wales will also be taking the debate as part of an extended news special from 8.45pm - 10.30pm that evening.