Pres Café
Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK (/showthread.php?tid=313)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - Stooky Bill - 07-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 06:46 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  Is it certain that 1584 has gone off air? Jeo Radio was owned by the Avtar Lit, who also has family links to Sunrise Radio. When I first heard about Jeo going off air, I wondered if we were going to see Sunrise Smooth launch in its place.
Avtar Lit was the owner of the original Sunrise until it went into administration in 2013. The brand was bought by Lyca who moved it to 963/972 and started a new station on 1458. However the managing director of Sunrise is Avtar's son

The chopping and changing of the London Asian and MW stations has been very fluid and lots of the same people involved with lots of them

1584 relocated to a new site a few years ago, I seem to remember lots of discussion on DS about it transmitting incorrectly for a while after Love Sport closed.

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - London Lite - 07-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 08:21 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  1584 relocated to a new site a few years ago, I seem to remember lots of discussion on DS about it transmitting incorrectly for a while after Love Sport closed.

To Sewardstone in Essex.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=2475 

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - BBI45 - 07-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 08:21 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Avtar Lit was the owner of the original Sunrise until it went into administration in 2013. The brand was bought by Lyca who moved it to 963/972 and started a new station on 1458. However the managing director of Sunrise is Avtar's son

The chopping and changing of the London Asian and MW stations has been very fluid and lots of the same people involved with lots of them

1584 relocated to a new site a few years ago, I seem to remember lots of discussion on DS about it transmitting incorrectly for a while after Love Sport closed.

Thanks for clarifying that. I do still wonder if we'll see a new service launch. Even though AM is on the way out, there is clearly still a market for it in places.

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - tmf9 - 08-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 08:21 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Avtar Lit was the owner of the original Sunrise until it went into administration in 2013. The brand was bought by Lyca who moved it to 963/972 and started a new station on 1458. However the managing director of Sunrise is Avtar's son

Just to clarify, Sunrise is unrelated to Lyca (the info on Wikipedia is completely wrong).

Although Lyca acquired the 1458 and 1035 frequencies when Sunrise went into administration, Sunrise itself retained 963/972 (originally Club Asia) and moved their main service to that frequency.

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - London Lite - 11-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 09:17 AM)tmf9 Wrote:  Just to clarify, Sunrise is unrelated to Lyca (the info on Wikipedia is completely wrong).

Although Lyca acquired the 1458 and 1035 frequencies when Sunrise went into administration, Sunrise itself retained 963/972 (originally Club Asia) and moved their main service to that frequency.

Ironically the administration allowed Sunrise to relaunch as a youth focused Asian station as the Club Asia format is still in use to this day. The Litt family still run Sunrise, but Avtar has no say in how it operates, which is why he set up Jeo Radio.

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - BBI45 - 18-06-2023

Not sure where this has come from, but according to Frequency Finder, Global are closing their Gold transmitters in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Cambridgeshire & Northamptonshire at the end of this month.

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - Dadeki - 18-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 08:24 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  Not sure where this has come from, but according to Frequency Finder, Global are closing their Gold transmitters in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Cambridgeshire & Northamptonshire at the end of this month.

Presumably their source is from the Gold website, which has a page detailing the matter:

https://www.goldradiouk.com/radio/gold-am-listen-how/ 

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - BBI45 - 19-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 09:24 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  Presumably their source is from the Gold website, which has a page detailing the matter:

https://www.goldradiouk.com/radio/gold-am-listen-how/ 

Can't quite believe I didn't check their own website.  Rolleyes 

I wonder what has brought this on?

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - WillPS - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 12:09 AM)BBI45 Wrote:  Can't quite believe I didn't check their own website.  Rolleyes 

I wonder what has brought this on?

The same thing that's brought about all these closures - decline in AM listenership and  steep rise in costs associated with serving that reducing audience.

RE: Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK - VMPhil - 19-06-2023

Yes if it wasn't for the recent rapid rise in energy costs, I imagine a lot of these AM stations wouldn't be closing as soon (e.g. Absolute may have waited until the end of their licence instead of pulling it halfway).