Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Alf Stewart - 24-02-2023

I know it's not quite the same, (though given local radio's become a 10 hits in a row and a bit of speech lately), but it's a kick in the teeth for all those local BBC presenters who'll be losing their jobs soon.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Jon - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 03:49 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  I know it's not quite the same, (though given local radio's become a 10 hits in a row and a bit of speech lately),  but it's a kick in the teeth for all those local BBC presenters who'll be losing their jobs soon.
Why? Even if they gave the job to one of them, all the others that will be losing their jobs still wouldn’t be employed.

I think it’s a solid replacement personally. He’ll appeal to the new listeners they want to attract but I don’t think he’ll alienate older listeners as much as some of potential choices might. And he has profile of course. 

As good as Gary King might be, I’m not sure he can bridge that gap.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - XIII - 24-02-2023

Vernon works because he's known to the older Radio 2 audience and the younger ones they want to attract.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - London Lite - 24-02-2023

Another factor is Vernon knows how to host a good game show, which will be important when he does the new pop quiz.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Stooky Bill - 24-02-2023

Seemed an odd choice to me when I first heard it and I was surprised that I've read people being positive over it. But I hadn't realised he'd been doing fill ins on Radio 2 recently.

I imagine the appointment won't go down well amongst a lot of the older Radio 2 listeners, and having the headline about him being an 'ITV presenter won't help'.

I wasn't that keen on him during his short stint on Radio X, but perhaps Radio 2 suits him better

(24-02-2023, 03:49 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  I know it's not quite the same, (though given local radio's become a 10 hits in a row and a bit of speech lately),  but it's a kick in the teeth for all those local BBC presenters who'll be losing their jobs soon.
That would never happen. It's currently the most listened to radio programme in the country, they're not going to hire someone unknown from Radio Suffolk to present it. 

That's not to say there's not a pathway for someone good from local radio to get onto Radio 2, but it's by doing fill ins and try outs and building up experience and a reputation

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 24-02-2023

Interesting to see the announcement on the Radio 2 Facebook page has got a predominantly positive response, which is no mean feat.

Even most of the responses to RadioToday's post on Facebook are in favour. (Obviously bar the inevitable few who think it's an outrage that they've hired someone people have heard of, when they could have hired Clive Banhurst from the Thursday evening show on Immingham Community Radio.)

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - London Lite - 24-02-2023

Ken was the last remaining island of the old traditional easy listening format of Radio 2, so I don't think it's much of a surprise that it's received positive feedback.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 05:31 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Ken was the last remaining island of the old traditional easy listening format of Radio 2, so I don't think it's much of a surprise that it's received positive feedback.
It’s only a few months since Scott Mills was announced, and I’m not seeing anywhere near the negativity (and downright nastiness) he received, thankfully.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Steve in Pudsey - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 03:49 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  I know it's not quite the same, (though given local radio's become a 10 hits in a row and a bit of speech lately), but it's a kick in the teeth for all those local BBC presenters who'll be losing their jobs soon.

I think if they had gone for somebody purely known for TV then you would have a point, but Vernon has worked in radio for long enough that you could probably class him as a veteran these days.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - eyeTV - 24-02-2023

A good appointment I think. Brings an end to any future This Morning presenting then for Vernon. He was one of the better stand-ins on there.